Working on Christmas.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-12-2015, 11:44 AM
Working on Christmas.
Anyone else working on Christmas?

I'm fine with working on the holiday. I get paid double time, so the financial gain is appealing to me. My wife however feels we should spend the day with her side of the family. All that happens however is we get up early to go to her church for Christmas Mass, go back to my mother in-laws house and watch terrible Christmas movies go home wash up, then meet up for dinner and presents. I'd rather just skip to the end of the day, and I can do that with work.

If I had kids I probable want to get the day off. Or if I would be able to see my half of family.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-12-2015, 11:47 AM
RE: Working on Christmas.
(24-12-2015 11:44 AM)Commonsensei Wrote:  Anyone else working on Christmas?

I'm fine with working on the holiday. I get paid double time, so the financial gain is appealing to me. My wife however feels we should spend the day with her side of the family. All that happens however is we get up early to go to her church for Christmas Mass, go back to my mother in-laws house and watch terrible Christmas movies go home wash up, then meet up for dinner and presents. I'd rather just skip to the end of the day, and I can do that with work.

If I had kids I probable want to get the day off. Or if I would be able to see my half of family.

Work sounds like the more enjoyable way to spend the day -- plus you get paid for it!

Good luck selling that to your wife, though.
24-12-2015, 12:08 PM
I only get paid $3 or $4USD extra per hour on holidays. Not worth it, but I don't have a choice in the matter - if management says I'm working - it's come to work or potentially get fired. I'm off this year - my second Christmas since I became a nurse.

When I worked home health I got double time and a half on Christmas - it put me into overtime. I made over $600 that day for working just a few hours. Totally worth it.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
24-12-2015, 12:10 PM
My aunt (dad's sister) was a nurse. She always volunteered to work holidays since she got double time pay. My mom swore it was so she didn't have to help with the dishes. Tongue

Dad was a large animal veterinarian in private practice...we could bet on an emergency call pretty much every Christmas...bright and early. I often went with him to whatever farm he got called out to.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
24-12-2015, 01:11 PM
Fuck no. Four day weekend and I'm determined to enjoy every goddamn second of it.

Not that I'd care that much if I was working....but since I'm not I'm just that much more excited to not have to cater to the public for a few days. It's a welcome break.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
24-12-2015, 01:15 PM
Since I am retired anyway Xmas is just another day off out of them all!
24-12-2015, 01:56 PM
When I was in the service - it just worked out that my watch schedule got tweaked around so I never had to work on xmas.....

And -- if you didn't have watch - you could trade with someone who did -- if they were willing to pay.. The going rate was $100 for xmas or new years eve.....

I took a watch my first year at my new duty station - for a buddy of mine who had a wife and kids.... and just swapped watches with him.... No cost......

The next year, another guy asked me if I could work xmas for him -- I said "Sure, for the going rate"...... He said he thought we'd just swap watches like I did with my friend the year before....... I indicated that wasn't how it worked... It was going to cost him, plus he'd have to take my watch......

"Well what the fuck?" he asked -- "You didn't charge Tony last year".....

"Yeah", I said..... "But I LIKE him."..............

Funny part???? ---- He told me to fuck off..... and one of the other guys in his section hired me -- so I got to work with the cheap fuck on xmas.....

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
24-12-2015, 02:05 PM
(24-12-2015 11:44 AM)Commonsensei Wrote:  Anyone else working on Christmas?

I think my personal aversion to ANY holiday stems from my mom when I was a kid, even my birthday, trying too hard to make a production out of it and wanting too much to make everything perfect, on top of dumping all the cleenup on me as if I was a maid and not a kid. I know that part was trying to teach me responsibility, but still I've always worked better with people who do it with you and simply don't bark orders.

But, my mom is a much more laid back person now and not hung up on all the production of it all. I'll be going over tomorrow well exchange gifts no muss no fuss, watch some TV and eat some food and enjoy the time together.

I also used to be into the 4th of July, but one too many traffic jams getting out put an end to that.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user