World Cup Predictions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-07-2014, 08:24 AM
RE: World Cup Predictions
(03-07-2014 03:57 AM)barcelonic Wrote:  @Hughsie & @Revenant

Ye i agree with Hughsie on a couple of points there.... Klinsmann would be the best choice for England manager - no doubt

But also soccer is a game of immense tactical importance and is constantly evolving. This summer we've seen the emergence of a new kind of formation tackle the existing one which currently dominates club football in Europe - the 5-3-2 and 5-4-1 teams are showing how effective it can be against a 4-3-3 (a.k.a. 4231 Denmark)

There's a book I'm reading called Inverting The Pyramid which goes into spectacular detail about the history and evolution of football tactics.

Revenant let me clear firstly that the "British" only have a soccer team at the Olympics and even that is a relatively recent devlopment. You are referring to 'England' which is not my team as I am Welsh. The Welsh team never even qualifies for the European tounrament let alone the World Cup lol. And now we have Gareth Bale it's still unlikely to change any time soon.

But there are multitude of reasons why the England team are so poor but it has little to do with having quality players - which touches on my earlier point about the Spanish and Belgian sides not being able to win off the back of simply having a bunch of good individual players.

The English players are mostly millionaires (Rooney earns 300k a week - 150k after tax) and they are already at the top of their game in Club Football so the added work and pressure of international competition isn't anywhere near as alluring to them as playing in the Premier League and Champions League. They also have no need to make lots of fame and glory in order to fund their families and move them into a mansion somewhere and away from the poverty line, like many nations' players do.
There's also a distinct lack of patriotism in England compared to the USA.

The England team won one World Cup in 1966 but truth be told they are a long way away from being able to do that again. The domestic Football Assosciation is currently planning changes to our league systems to aid the development of young English players and so that may help a little in the long run but I just don't see England doing very well for a long time.

But this summer one of two main reasons you could point to the USA doing better in the tournament is that England were in a much tougher group and also that there's never much pressure on the underdogs to succeed whereas England are overencumbered with enormous pressure during every tournament by the British media.

But you are right the USA had a good showing this year and they should be grateful to have an excellent coach who understand not just football but your country also (I believe he is a nationalised citizen now after having lived in the US for so long, and he even sounds American when he speaks lol).

So full kudos to the USA for making it out of the group and their huge supporter turnout in Brazil. I honestly do want to see soccer take off in a big way in the US but the first, most important step is to begin respecting it as an incredibly intellectual sport with players of remarkable skill and athletic prowess and most of all to disassosciate it with young girls playing in schools.

Play FIFA or better yet, Football Manager - take an interest etc... etc... and one day the US could potentially be a real force to be reckoned with.

But like Hughsie and myself have said, don't expect to be lifting the trophy itself, even at that point. You can't succeed at soccer at that level if only a World Cup winners trophy would satisfy you.

Smile

I have given soccer many many chances it puts me to sleep. I just don't find it compelling in the least. I'm mainly busting on two sets of people 1 Americans who all of a sudden are pretending to give a fuck when a month ago they could not have named one player or coach on the team and 2 Hughsie because he is a friend and I must therefore bust his balls whenever I can. Other than that I am rather neutral to the whole thing, I know the American team is never going to go anywhere until it becomes way more popular here and even then best case scenario is we are in the final 4 most of the time and win a cup every now and again. But good on them for making the knockout round 2 times in a row, that is far better than most teams and is one of the reasons why I think having a better selection of players and a higher profile would push them from underdogs to favorites.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-07-2014, 04:34 AM
Well I'm glad you see that reaching the Round of 16 is a proud achievement. Smile

One possible thing that could perceivably happen in the future though (not that you'd care lol i'm sure) is that FIFA may remove the USA from the CONCACAF qualifying group to the South American qualifiers instead.

This is what they did with Australia - they moved them to the Asian quals because the only competition they were getting for a place at the world cup was against teams like New Zealand and really poor sides like Fiji etc... lol

Mexico being a decent side may well be the only reason they haven't (yet) moved USA to a tougher qualifying group.
Let's face it USA are going to consistently qualify for the tournament because they are going up against sides like Canada and Trinidad & Tobago and Barbados and Jamaica......

Panama came very close to qualifying this year in place of Mexico - that would have been interesting i think Smile

** Jingo Planet **
04-07-2014, 03:06 PM
(01-07-2014 03:43 PM)Vosur Wrote:  The French team is next in line.

[Image: vG3fPew.gif]

... aaaannnnnd they're out. The cameras focused on a couple of players crying on the pitch after the game.

I came across this comedy sketch on youtube and it reminded me of Vosur's posts on this thread. From what I can understand the joke is that two women see a sexy man reading a book on German history and they are worrying that he is a football fan.

I was actually looking on youtube for examples of Swiss German and the idea of having to learn the dialect is beginning to horrify me. It sounds more like Dutch!
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
04-07-2014, 03:17 PM
(04-07-2014 03:06 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  

... aaaannnnnd they're out. The cameras focused on a couple of players crying on the pitch after the game.

I came across this comedy sketch on youtube and it reminded me of Vosur's posts on this thread. From what I can understand the joke is that two women see a sexy man reading a book on German history and they are worrying that he is a football fan.

I was actually looking on youtube for examples of Swiss German and the idea of having to learn the dialect is beginning to horrify me. It sounds more like Dutch!

"You're mad! You can't judge people based on their towel."

Laugh out load

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
04-07-2014, 03:18 PM
(04-07-2014 03:06 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  

The French now have a saying. Fußball macht frei.
[+] 1 user Likes Elder Cunningham's post
04-07-2014, 03:31 PM
I don't think Brazil knows how to play defense. I don't think it matters. Big Grin

#sigh
05-07-2014, 08:43 AM
[Image: 2c4c1fadebd38e33acc481bcf41aef.jpg]

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
08-07-2014, 02:53 PM
[Image: tumblr_lytlc0N6Xm1r4bihwo1_500.gif]

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 4 users Like Vosur's post
08-07-2014, 02:58 PM
(08-07-2014 02:53 PM)Vosur Wrote:  [Image: tumblr_lytlc0N6Xm1r4bihwo1_500.gif]

5 goals in less than 10 minutes. Shocking Drug test them.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
08-07-2014, 03:35 PM
(08-07-2014 02:53 PM)Vosur Wrote:  [Image: tumblr_lytlc0N6Xm1r4bihwo1_500.gif]

At what point does this become a war crime? 7-0 as I write this.

[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post