World Cup Predictions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-07-2014, 03:41 PM
RE: World Cup Predictions
At this point I'd most rather see a Brazil/Argentina final.
(and an Argentine win; that'd be hilarious Angel )

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-07-2014, 03:43 PM
Germany > Algeria

[Image: 943755.jpg]

The French team is next in line.

[Image: vG3fPew.gif]

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
01-07-2014, 05:06 PM
(01-07-2014 03:43 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Germany > Algeria

WTF!Shocking

That supposed to be funny?
01-07-2014, 05:16 PM
(01-07-2014 05:06 PM)RogueWarrior Wrote:  
(01-07-2014 03:43 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Germany > Algeria

WTF!Shocking

Yes, indeed it was supposed to be funny. As a side note our long national nightmare is over. No longer will we have to pretend to give any kind of fuck about soccer. For another 4 years we can pretend this sissy ass "sport" doesn't exist outside of girls summer camp.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
01-07-2014, 06:17 PM
(01-07-2014 05:16 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(01-07-2014 05:06 PM)RogueWarrior Wrote:  WTF!Shocking

Yes, indeed it was supposed to be funny. As a side note our long national nightmare is over. No longer will we have to pretend to give any kind of fuck about soccer. For another 4 years we can pretend this sissy ass "sport" doesn't exist outside of girls summer camp.

It's funny but as i was watching the USA game tonight i wondered for the first time why Americans don't care much for soccer. Firstly Americans love sport. And secondly, most of them seem to think their country is the best in the world (a point of contention perhaps; let me just say then that their not short on patriotism or competition). Smile

The BBC commentators over here in the UK were, i feel, being very generous to the USA. They constantly described the game as balanced but despite the outstanding efforts and organistaion by the American team it was more of a one-sided game than any of the other games of this round.

Tim Howard should get a Congressional Medal of Honor lol. He was epic today but at the same time the Belgians need to learn to start placing their shots better if they wanna overcome Argentina.

I now predict a Germany v Holland final. And what a game that would be! Smile

** Jingo Planet **
01-07-2014, 06:23 PM
(01-07-2014 06:17 PM)barcelonic Wrote:  
(01-07-2014 05:16 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Yes, indeed it was supposed to be funny. As a side note our long national nightmare is over. No longer will we have to pretend to give any kind of fuck about soccer. For another 4 years we can pretend this sissy ass "sport" doesn't exist outside of girls summer camp.

It's funny but as i was watching the USA game tonight i wondered for the first time why Americans don't care much for soccer. Firstly Americans love sport. And secondly, most of them seem to think their country is the best in the world (a point of contention perhaps; let me just say then that their not short on patriotism or competition). Smile

The BBC commentators over here in the UK were, i feel, being very generous to the USA. They constantly described the game as balanced but despite the outstanding efforts and organistaion by the American team it was more of a one-sided game than any of the other games of this round.

Tim Howard should get a Congressional Medal of Honor lol. He was epic today but at the same time the Belgians need to learn to start placing their shots better if they wanna overcome Argentina.

I now predict a Germany v Holland final. And what a game that would be! Smile

Those are our D list or lower athletes as our A listers are in the NBA NFL and MLB. Why don't Americans care about soccer? Because we don't. We prefer other sports and frankly soccer bores the piss out of me. As for international competitions look to the Olympics the USA always places in the top 2-3 in medals for both Winter and Summer no other country can claim the same, most focus entirely on one or the other. So maybe this is American bravado speaking but if we were fielding our very best I think we would dominate the World Cup. But as there is no incentive for American athletes to focus on soccer over other sports I doubt it will happen in my lifetime.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
01-07-2014, 06:41 PM (This post was last modified: 01-07-2014 06:46 PM by cjlr.)
(01-07-2014 06:23 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Those are our D list or lower athletes as our A listers are in the NBA NFL and MLB. Why don't Americans care about soccer? Because we don't. We prefer other sports and frankly soccer bores the piss out of me. As for international competitions look to the Olympics the USA always places in the top 2-3 in medals for both Winter and Summer no other country can claim the same, most focus entirely on one or the other. So maybe this is American bravado speaking but if we were fielding our very best I think we would dominate the World Cup. But as there is no incentive for American athletes to focus on soccer over other sports I doubt it will happen in my lifetime.

Allow me to take the opportunity to rantsplain athletics.

International sporting performance is based on three factors. Population, money, and tradition - geography is also in play for winter events (they basically all involve cold mountains, which only a handful of nations actually have). The United States is a frontrunner on population, far and away the leader on money, and has no particularly strong traditions (but no weak ones either).

What do I mean by that?

Population is simple. Talent is statistically distributed. The more people, the more talent. It's no great shock that when they became more internationally connected, all the world outliers (the people Guinness loves: tallest person, shortest person, that kind of thing) are now Indians and Chinese. That's inevitable statistics.

There are some weighting factors involved here as well; there are clear genetic variations in human populations that lend themselves to certain athletic disciplines. World-class swimmers have massive torsos and stubby limbs. Distance runners have stick-scrawny legs - but long ones. A lot of people probably already know how altitude affects things like oxygenation. Some of these traits are genetically concentrated (the best distance runners in the world come from the Kenyan/Ethiopian/Somali highlands, for an example) .

Of course, all the natural talent in the world means jack shit if you aren't able to train full-time with world class technological aids. So that's money. Command economies like China (or the USSR et al in the bad old days) skew the criteria a little 'cause you don't need a salary to do things there. The Soviets were materially poorer than the Americans in almost every way, but they put a huge emphasis on the likes of the Olympics; China is doing the same today (under similar monetary - but not demographic! - circumstances). Compare India, where they don't give two shits about non-cricket international games, and their share of the one-in-a-hundred-million natural talents aren't the ones winning medals.

Or consider the number of non-Europeans who play international football for European countries. That's league money talking.

As for tradition, you say? Romanian gymnastics and Jamaican sprinting. Canadian hockey. American, er, football (but no one else plays that, so it's kind of a wash). The culture does matter too. If basketball didn't exist, Michael Jordan could have still been a journeyman AAA-baseballer. But not a global phenomenon.

One of the nicer things about soccer football is the way money is less important than some sports (it's one of the least equipment-dependent sports out there), and the international competition is better for there being many more countries where there's a tradition of playing it.

And that's sports. Which is why Canada (a medium-sized and relatively rich place) can do okay at things we're culturally dominant in and relatively few other people play (hockey), but to win at sprinting we had to bring in Jamaican ringers.

Except the drugs and cheating. That's the advanced lecture.

[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
01-07-2014, 06:55 PM
(01-07-2014 06:41 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(01-07-2014 06:23 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Those are our D list or lower athletes as our A listers are in the NBA NFL and MLB. Why don't Americans care about soccer? Because we don't. We prefer other sports and frankly soccer bores the piss out of me. As for international competitions look to the Olympics the USA always places in the top 2-3 in medals for both Winter and Summer no other country can claim the same, most focus entirely on one or the other. So maybe this is American bravado speaking but if we were fielding our very best I think we would dominate the World Cup. But as there is no incentive for American athletes to focus on soccer over other sports I doubt it will happen in my lifetime.

Allow me to take the opportunity to rantsplain athletics.

International sporting performance is based on three factors. Population, money, and tradition - geography is also in play for winter events (they basically all involve cold mountains, which only a handful of nations actually have). The United States is a frontrunner on population, far and away the leader on money, and has no particularly strong traditions (but no weak ones either).

What do I mean by that?

Population is simple. Talent is statistically distributed. The more people, the more talent. It's no great shock that when they became more internationally connected, all the world outliers (the people Guinness loves: tallest person, shortest person, that kind of thing) are now Indians and Chinese. That's inevitable statistics.

There are some weighting factors involved here as well; there are clear genetic variations in human populations that lend themselves to certain athletic disciplines. World-class swimmers have massive torsos and stubby limbs. Distance runners have stick-scrawny legs - but long ones. A lot of people probably already know how altitude affects things like oxygenation. Some of these traits are genetically concentrated (the best distance runners in the world come from the Kenyan/Ethiopian/Somali highlands, for an example) .

Of course, all the natural talent in the world means jack shit if you aren't able to train full-time with world class technological aids. So that's money. Command economies like China (or the USSR et al in the bad old days) skew the criteria a little 'cause you don't need a salary to do things there. The Soviets were materially poorer than the Americans in almost every way, but they put a huge emphasis on the likes of the Olympics; China is doing the same today (under similar monetary - but not demographic! - circumstances). Compare India, where they don't give two shits about non-cricket international games, and their share of the one-in-a-hundred-million natural talents aren't the ones winning medals.

Or consider the number of non-Europeans who play international football for European countries. That's league money talking.

As for tradition, you say? Romanian gymnastics and Jamaican sprinting. Canadian hockey. American, er, football (but no one else plays that, so it's kind of a wash). The culture does matter too. If basketball didn't exist, Michael Jordan could have still been a journeyman AAA-baseballer. But not a global phenomenon.

One of the nicer things about soccer football is the way money is less important than some sports (it's one of the least equipment-dependent sports out there), and the international competition is better for there being many more countries where there's a tradition of playing it.

And that's sports. Which is why Canada (a medium-sized and relatively rich place) can do okay at things we're culturally dominant in and relatively few other people play (hockey), but to win at sprinting we had to bring in Jamaican ringers.

Except the drugs and cheating. That's the advanced lecture.

Might I counter the Jordan argument with this, he was cut from his high school basketball team. That motivated him to improve all facets of his game and it was that drive in addition to his natural skills that made him the best in the world. Had he applied the same drive and man-hours to baseball he would have been a top prospect. The fact that he came in cold and managed to do as well as he did against people who put the kind of time he had put into another sport into baseball speaks for his natural talent.

01-07-2014, 07:05 PM
(01-07-2014 06:55 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Might I counter the Jordan argument with this, he was cut from his high school basketball team.

Yes, and that's a very minor nitpick.
Tongue

(01-07-2014 06:55 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  That motivated him to improve all facets of his game and it was that drive in addition to his natural skills that made him the best in the world.

Heart don't count for shit unless all else is equal.

All else is virtually never equal.

I mean, we could also say things like, "there was an NCAA and NBA to play in", which I'd say fall under the same tradition category.

This is just the broad strokes of my musings, it's not supposed to be definitive.
(which I know you know Wink )

(01-07-2014 06:55 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Had he applied the same drive and man-hours to baseball he would have been a top prospect. The fact that he came in cold and managed to do as well as he did against people who put the kind of time he had put into another sport into baseball speaks for his natural talent.

That is probably true, which makes it a not-so-great example after all, but at the same time - Michael Jordan was not going to be to baseball as he was to basketball; the Gretzky or Aaron or who have you.

01-07-2014, 07:16 PM
(01-07-2014 07:05 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(01-07-2014 06:55 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Might I counter the Jordan argument with this, he was cut from his high school basketball team.

Yes, and that's a very minor nitpick.
Tongue

(01-07-2014 06:55 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  That motivated him to improve all facets of his game and it was that drive in addition to his natural skills that made him the best in the world.

Heart don't count for shit unless all else is equal.

All else is virtually never equal.

I mean, we could also say things like, "there was an NCAA and NBA to play in", which I'd say fall under the same tradition category.

This is just the broad strokes of my musings, it's not supposed to be definitive.
(which I know you know Wink )

(01-07-2014 06:55 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Had he applied the same drive and man-hours to baseball he would have been a top prospect. The fact that he came in cold and managed to do as well as he did against people who put the kind of time he had put into another sport into baseball speaks for his natural talent.

That is probably true, which makes it a not-so-great example after all, but at the same time - Michael Jordan was not going to be to baseball as he was to basketball; the Gretzky or Aaron or who have you.

Oh no he would not be to Baseball what he was to Basketball but that is due more to the storied history of Baseball and the fact that, like soccer today, Basketball was not a marquee sport for most of it's history. Then again he might have gone down as the greatest player of his generation, we'll never know.

My earlier point being that our top athletes are not even in the pool of prospects for a world cup team, would all our pro players be good at soccer? Most likely not, some skills are sport specific. But given American sports culture, would soccer be as big here as it is in the rest of the world I think it is safe to say we would be a world power in the game.