World Cup Predictions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-07-2014, 07:22 PM
RE: World Cup Predictions
(01-07-2014 07:16 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  My earlier point being that our top athletes are not even in the pool of prospects for a world cup team, would all our pro players be good at soccer? Most likely not, some skills are sport specific. But given American sports culture, would soccer be as big here as it is in the rest of the world I think it is safe to say we would be a world power in the game.

Well, sure. But that's exactly what I said. Only the tradition is lacking from American soccer, and it's still easily on the top end of the world rankings.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-07-2014, 08:49 PM
(01-07-2014 06:17 PM)barcelonic Wrote:  It's funny but as i was watching the USA game tonight i wondered for the first time why Americans don't care much for soccer. Firstly Americans love sport. And secondly, most of them seem to think their country is the best in the world (a point of contention perhaps; let me just say then that their not short on patriotism or competition). Smile

The BBC commentators over here in the UK were, i feel, being very generous to the USA. They constantly described the game as balanced but despite the outstanding efforts and organistaion by the American team it was more of a one-sided game than any of the other games of this round.

Tim Howard should get a Congressional Medal of Honor lol. He was epic today but at the same time the Belgians need to learn to start placing their shots better if they wanna overcome Argentina.

I now predict a Germany v Holland final. And what a game that would be! Smile

My opinion is that it's down to American arrogance (for want of a better word).

I think American's like to think of themselves as better than others/the best at everything they do. They don't warm to football because they simply can't dominate it. Look at all the top American sports, what do they have in common? Either very few, or none at all, other nations give nearly as much of a shit about them, this allows American's to dominate the sport and see themselves as the best. Because football is globally popular in a way the other sports in America aren't they have to settle for not being the best, so a lot of their population withdraws from it altogether.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
01-07-2014, 08:52 PM
(01-07-2014 07:16 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  My earlier point being that our top athletes are not even in the pool of prospects for a world cup team, would all our pro players be good at soccer? Most likely not, some skills are sport specific. But given American sports culture, would soccer be as big here as it is in the rest of the world I think it is safe to say we would be a world power in the game.

Not necessarily, America lacks the expertise as things stand to consistently produce top players. Look at China, they are football mad and the largest population of all to pick from, but they're still pretty awful. Coaching quality and knowledge of the game plays a huge part in football, and America would take a while to catch up to the rest of the world in that respect.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
01-07-2014, 09:01 PM
(01-07-2014 08:52 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  

Not necessarily, America lacks the expertise as things stand to consistently produce top players. Look at China, they are football mad and the largest population of all to pick from, but they're still pretty awful. Coaching quality and knowledge of the game plays a huge part in football, and America would take a while to catch up to the rest of the world in that respect.

Yes it would, if you ignored the rest of my post which assumed we had a soccer tradition. I believe my olympic example fits well here.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
02-07-2014, 05:51 AM
Ye Hughsie I find myself agreeing with that. Most teams who make the World Cup finals have targets - like getting through the groups or in some cases just getting one good result against a quality side. Teams like Iran and Australia know their place in world football and so they don't expect to win the tournament.

But last night they aired some footage of the USA fans partying back in the States and they were all screaming about how they can "win it", as it to say that they could win the tournament.
That's just not how the WC works.

The bookies valued the Belgian side very highly and before the tournament they were something like 5th favourites to win the Cup, but I couldn';t disagree more; finally having some quality players doesn't make a team ready to win the Cup it just doesn't work like that. The Belgians need a foundation first and some good results against the top sides and then a quality coach and strong domestic support etc etc.... Truth is there are a host of factors involved in winning the tournament and only the very very best stand a chance - - the team must be strong and super-experienced internationally plus many other factors.

A good example is Spain who for many years had the best individual players to pick from of all European countries yet they weren't winning any major tournaments. Then finally it all just clicked into place for them, largely because many of their best players played tiki-taka together at Barcelona week-in, week-out. Then that squad won three major tournaments in a row including a World Cup trophy. I fear those days are over for them now as most of those players are now on the decline and they need to look ahead and their younger players are no Xavi's and Iniestas.

So Belgium winning is a huge leap and I really dont see that happening - for one thing they haven't even qualifiied for the last THREE world cups.

USA have an easy group in Concacaf so they can qualify for more tournaments and Klinsmann has done a good job of trying to get Americans more interested but the USA is only going to get better when the fanbase there grows and it does seem as though that won't happen unless they win the World Cup which is an entirely unrealistic target for them.

There are only a handful of teams who actually fight for the Cup itself and the rest celebrate when they reach the Round of 16 or Qtr Finals etc...

So the USA should always aim to reach the Round of 16 (for now) and be joyous when that happens - their more optimistic target should be to qualify for the Qtr Finals now but if they are expecting more than that then they need to better understand how the World Cup works.

It takes 2 years for hundreds of nations to qualify so that 32 national teams can face off in these finals and only one can win. The cup is almost never won by players who predominantly play outside of the top domestic leagues such as Spain, England, Italy, Germany and France.

And i agree about China too - there is definitely more to it than having a passion for the sport and lots of players to choose from. China's target should be simply to improve to the point where they can call themselves a stronger side than Japan and South Korea. Then maybe they'll qualify more and can start laying down a foundation of their own.

If anybody knew all of the factors that go into winning the World Cup then it'd be public knowledge by now. But there are just so many, in a sport where one single individual mistake can be the difference between failure and success. Nobody ever made a World Cup final through luck or hard work - it just isn't that simple.

Smile

** Jingo Planet **
02-07-2014, 05:53 AM
My ignorance of the World Cup is showing when I ask...does this ever end? It's like the longest playoff ever.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
02-07-2014, 06:08 AM
(02-07-2014 05:53 AM)Anjele Wrote:  My ignorance of the World Cup is showing when I ask...does this ever end? It's like the longest playoff ever.

Has it started yet?

Drinking Beverage

02-07-2014, 08:06 AM
Here is where the lack of fucks I have to give about soccer comes into play. I know the USA Women's National team is rather good and has won their version of the world cup. Now is that like womens sports here where there is 0 comparison to the men's sports? Like a couple years ago the NCAA Women's Basketball champions went undefeated but had they played the Men's champion (a team that lost 10+ games IIRC) they would have been lucky to score 10 points.

Or does the competition level of soccer stay close since it involves no upper body strength and most of your players faint at the slightest contact?

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
02-07-2014, 07:32 PM
(02-07-2014 08:06 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Here is where the lack of fucks I have to give about soccer comes into play. I know the USA Women's National team is rather good and has won their version of the world cup. Now is that like womens sports here where there is 0 comparison to the men's sports? Like a couple years ago the NCAA Women's Basketball champions went undefeated but had they played the Men's champion (a team that lost 10+ games IIRC) they would have been lucky to score 10 points.

Or does the competition level of soccer stay close since it involves no upper body strength and most of your players faint at the slightest contact?

When you say "your players" do you mean 'the world's'? Lol

No you are right - women play separately for a reason. They wouldn't compete at the same level and people are only interested in spectating the highest level of soccer.

But football really does involve a lot of upper body strength. Soccer players are true athletes. Their clubs often dictate what they can and can't eat (like white bread) and enforce bans on having sex before games. The evolution of soccer in the last 50 years has seen players go from being rounded, beer-swilling leg machines to the tip-top conditioners we see today and the game has become a million times better as a result.

If the best team of the 60s tried playing a mediocre team from today, even with modern tactics they would lose.

When players hurl themselves onto the floor and grimace it isn't because they are actually hurt but because if they don't do that the referee doesn't award the free kick. It is one thing to 'go to ground' when nobody has fouled you but if someone actually does foul you the odds of the ref doing anything about it are slim unless he happens to be standing right in front of you at the time. So players' reactions are what prompts the referee to make split-second decisions about what just happened. No-one likes it, but it is what it is.

** Jingo Planet **
[+] 1 user Likes barcelonic's post
02-07-2014, 07:49 PM
(02-07-2014 07:32 PM)barcelonic Wrote:  
(02-07-2014 08:06 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Here is where the lack of fucks I have to give about soccer comes into play. I know the USA Women's National team is rather good and has won their version of the world cup. Now is that like womens sports here where there is 0 comparison to the men's sports? Like a couple years ago the NCAA Women's Basketball champions went undefeated but had they played the Men's champion (a team that lost 10+ games IIRC) they would have been lucky to score 10 points.

When you say "your players" do you mean 'the world's'? Lol

No you are right - women play separately for a reason. They wouldn't compete at the same level and people are only interested in spectating the highest level of soccer.

But football really does involve a lot of upper body strength. Soccer players are true athletes. Their clubs often dictate what they can and can't eat (like white bread) and enforce bans on having sex before games. The evolution of soccer in the last 50 years has seen players go from being rounded, beer-swilling leg machines to the tip-top conditioners we see today and the game has become a million times better as a result.

If the best team of the 60s tried playing a mediocre team from today, even with modern tactics they would lose.

When players hurl themselves onto the floor and grimace it isn't because they are actually hurt but because if they don't do that the referee doesn't award the free kick. It is one thing to 'go to ground' when nobody has fouled you but if someone actually does foul you the odds of the ref doing anything about it are slim unless he happens to be standing right in front of you at the time. So players' reactions are what prompts the referee to make split-second decisions about what just happened. No-one likes it, but it is what it is.

The last sentence of that was separated because it was mostly in jest. But in response to Hughsies statement about the coaching and conditioning well the US Women's national team does have the tradition the Men's team lacks and their coach is world class. I don't think Non-Americans get how into sports we are here are some pictures of a Super Bowl champion American Football teams training facilities.

[Image: baltimore-ravens.jpg]

[Image: ravens_training_facility-6--nfl_large_58...height=465]

[Image: 61044d1168366575-b-more-ravens-training-facility-10.jpg]

[Image: f92e7994c8bfb239f16cdd71c35bd125.jpg?itok=TfqSBDX1]

[Image: ravens_20090526121200.png]

[Image: fa02eb2d43b94cca825386734149b64c.jpg]

This is a multi-million dollar facility that is just for training purposes. I think we would do alright in League play if our focus was there. Granted it is ironic to hear the Brit criticise the American National Team that advanced further than the vaunted British team (did they make the second week?)