World Going to Hell!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-10-2013, 12:02 PM
World Going to Hell!
You know what I mean - not literally. I hear people say this all the time in reaction to something horrible in the news, and I usually play devils advocate and present reasons to the contrary. Is the world really much worse today than the recent or distant past?

The negative outlook mostly comes from my elder relatives, and christians I know (man has turned away from god allowing sin and evil to dominate). Aren't death rates and crime rates on the decline? I realize that school shootings and terrorism are more commonplace today, but do these things make the whole world worse than ever? How bad can it be if we could, from the palm of our hands, talk to someone across the globe, order dinner, change the cable channel, get news traffic and weather alerts, pay the bills, and find a doctor? Geez, my parents had to deal with inflation, gas shortages, crazy/criminal president, unemployment, hostage crisis, and the threat of nuclear war every day.

There can be but little liberty on earth while men worship a tyrant in heaven. - Robert Green Ingersoll
There is no one to foregive me, so I have to be kind to people the first time.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-10-2013, 12:07 PM
RE: World Going to Hell!
(23-10-2013 12:02 PM)Timber1025 Wrote:  You know what I mean - not literally. I hear people say this all the time in reaction to something horrible in the news, and I usually play devils advocate and present reasons to the contrary. Is the world really much worse today than the recent or distant past?

The negative outlook mostly comes from my elder relatives, and christians I know (man has turned away from god allowing sin and evil to dominate). Aren't death rates and crime rates on the decline? I realize that school shootings and terrorism are more commonplace today, but do these things make the whole world worse than ever? How bad can it be if we could, from the palm of our hands, talk to someone across the globe, order dinner, change the cable channel, get news traffic and weather alerts, pay the bills, and find a doctor? Geez, my parents had to deal with inflation, gas shortages, crazy/criminal president, unemployment, hostage crisis, and the threat of nuclear war every day.

This is a result of the sensationalism in the news media. Good news doesn't move papers and people tend to have an idealized vision of the past not based on how bad it actually was. So while we are living in a really good time to be alive all we hear about are the isolated and rapidly dwindling acts of violence. Steve Pinker wrote an excellent book about this. The Better Angels of Our Nature

[Image: Hitchhikersguide_zps7678fbae.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
23-10-2013, 12:12 PM (This post was last modified: 23-10-2013 12:16 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(23-10-2013 12:02 PM)Timber1025 Wrote:  You know what I mean - not literally. I hear people say this all the time in reaction to something horrible in the news, and I usually play devils advocate and present reasons to the contrary. Is the world really much worse today than the recent or distant past?

Ask them why they conveniently forget about their great grandparents
no antibiotics, people DIED from the smallest cut or infection,
they went out to the outhouse to relieve themselves,
no vaccines
no running water
no refrigeration, ("ice boxes" REALLY had a block of ice in them that had to be replaced often).
horses, (and horse poo) all over the place, no paved roads,
no electricity, candles and gas lighting at night
no heart surgery, no laparoscopy, no angioplasty, no kidney dialysis, no blood transfusion, no medcations for most things
no trains, no planes, no phones, no computers, no tv, no radio,
no central heating, homes heated with WOOD
no air conditioning until mid Twentieth Centry

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
The noblest of the dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
23-10-2013, 12:16 PM
(23-10-2013 12:12 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  

Ask them why they conveniently forget about their great grandparents
no vaccines
no running water
no refrigeration, ("ice boxes" REALLY had a block of ice in them that had to be replaced often).
no heart surgery, no laparoscopy, no angioplasty, no kidney dialysis, no blood transfusion, no medcations for most things

And no Gwynnies! Ohmy

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-10-2013, 12:18 PM
The world is becoming better in some ways and worse in others. Better in some places and worse in others. The perception of an individual is based on one's environment, that's pretty easy. The overall trend is more difficult to discern but does it really matter? It evolves for better or worse, and that's not going to change.

Some people have a vested interest in promoting the idea that we are "going to hell". I fear them far more that the idea of hell, since I know it does not exist.

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume
23-10-2013, 12:20 PM
(23-10-2013 12:16 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(23-10-2013 12:12 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Ask them why they conveniently forget about their great grandparents
no vaccines
no running water

And no Gwynnies! Ohmy

http://books.google.com/books?id=9FtnppN...ry_r&cad=0

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
The noblest of the dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.
23-10-2013, 12:36 PM
I'm afraid I have to do this:

23-10-2013, 01:13 PM
What constitutes 'worse' is subjective. I'm extremely concerned with the environment and pollutants, so I might be inclined to believe it's worse.

I am a repressed, socially retarded, egotistical, attention starved, solipsistic, passive aggressive, and perpetually aggrieved gay manlet, who is also possibly a hetero incel beta male member of an omega male brothel
23-10-2013, 01:23 PM
(23-10-2013 01:13 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  What constitutes 'worse' is subjective. I'm extremely concerned with the environment and pollutants, so I might be inclined to believe it's worse.

Actually on the whole it is better now that it was even 30 years ago. Environmental regulations have had a huge impact.

[Image: Hitchhikersguide_zps7678fbae.jpg]
23-10-2013, 01:28 PM
We're mostly not afraid of being burned at the stake because of our beliefs. That's a net improvement I think

[Image: sigvacachica.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Nobody would be "good" anymore if the world turned to atheism? Pearl 22 674 06-03-2014 04:27 PM
Last Post: WillHopp
  In the world of Pokemon... Colourcraze 8 276 10-02-2014 11:03 AM
Last Post: Revenant77x
  Materialism: An alternative view of the world, if you are truly interested HU.Junyuan 10 484 12-12-2013 03:46 PM
Last Post: Alla
  I will not die, the world will end. UndercoverAtheist 16 1,431 22-12-2012 11:54 PM
Last Post: Misanthropik
  Can you 'objectively' define a better world? Zat 24 2,047 03-02-2012 02:37 AM
Last Post: bemore
  Philosophically, why are human's able to understand the world around us? sjvirchow 63 5,222 20-07-2011 05:46 PM
Last Post: Bucky Ball