World Going to Hell!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-10-2013, 01:37 PM
RE: World Going to Hell!
(23-10-2013 01:28 PM)nach_in Wrote:  We're mostly not afraid of being burned at the stake because of our beliefs. That's a net improvement I think

In the 50's and 60's when Madelyn Murray O'Hare came out an an atheist, my parents tell me she was looked on as "spawn of the devil" and equivalent to a traitor, and a "Communist". Now it's a "ho-hum" in many places, and that the lead character in "The Good Wife" admits it on the air is a "nothing" is a vast improvement. Google and iPods have vastly increased our memory power. The will be implanted in 25 years. No more trudging to the library to look something up. Pacemakers, MRIs. CT scans ... the list goes on. Human knowledge doubles every ten years, (that's geometric/parabolic).

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein (That's a JOKE, ya idiot)
"And you quit footing the bill for these nations that are oil rich - we're paying for some of their *squirmishes* that have been going on for centuries" - Sarah Palin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-10-2013, 01:56 PM
(23-10-2013 01:28 PM)nach_in Wrote:  We're mostly not afraid of being burned at the stake because of our beliefs. That's a net improvement I think

Mmmmyes... but even that might depend on where one is living. I'm thinking we'd all be killed in Uganda and it's been a while since I've entertained a single notion of going to Iran. Too bad; lots of nice things in both those places. Shy

As for out of control population growth... maybe it just needs adjustment for statistical inflation. Isn't it possible that a similar percentage of the population has historically been dying off, via murder and natural disaster and it only seems like it's getting worse because (A.) there are more people (to kill and be killed) and (B.) through the technology of communication, we have become more aware of it happening?

Just a couple of ideas that have been rolling around in my jelly mellon. Thanks for helping me toss that shit out. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
23-10-2013, 02:04 PM
Since you are going to play the devil's advocate I suppose I am going to play God's advocate...a term I just made up but seems logical. We as a species are probably endangering ourselves for than ever. The math suggests that we are going to deplete our resources through over-consumption and over-population in the relatively near future. The word is going to hell.

23-10-2013, 02:16 PM
(23-10-2013 01:37 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  

In the 50's and 60's when Madelyn Murray O'Hare came out an an atheist, my parents tell me she was looked on as "spawn of the devil" and equivalent to a traitor, and a "Communist". Now it's a "ho-hum" in many places, and that the lead character in "The Good Wife" admits it on the air is a "nothing" is a vast improvement. Google and iPods have vastly increased our memory power. The will be implanted in 25 years. No more trudging to the library to look something up. Pacemakers, MRIs. CT scans ... the list goes on. Human knowledge doubles every ten years, (that's geometric/parabolic).

indeed

(23-10-2013 01:56 PM)kim Wrote:  

Mmmmyes... but even that might depend on where one is living. I'm thinking we'd all be killed in Uganda and it's been a while since I've entertained a single notion of going to Iran. Too bad; lots of nice things in both those places. Shy

As for out of control population growth... maybe it just needs adjustment for statistical inflation. Isn't it possible that a similar percentage of the population has historically been dying off, via murder and natural disaster and it only seems like it's getting worse because (A.) there are more people (to kill and be killed) and (B.) through the technology of communication, we have become more aware of it happening?

Just a couple of ideas that have been rolling around in my jelly mellon. Thanks for helping me toss that shit out. Drinking Beverage

you're welcome, I guess

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
23-10-2013, 02:34 PM
I agree with most of the feedback here, and I am obviously speaking from the perspective of living in the US. I know there are many places where horrible circumstances still exist and may even be further declining in specific countries. It is about awareness and this is the stance I take when this discussion comes up. 100 years ago you did not hear about every child abduction, murder, or sexual assault that happened in the far corners of this country.

My brother and his young daughters are fans of the Little House on the Prarrie show, and I actually heard him say how it would be better to live like they did. I know they all were a closer family than most today, but no electricity, medical/dental care, plumbing, transportation, clean water and food - GOOD LUCK WITH THAT!

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
[+] 1 user Likes Timber1025's post
23-10-2013, 05:55 PM
(23-10-2013 01:56 PM)kim Wrote:  As for out of control population growth... maybe it just needs adjustment for statistical inflation. Isn't it possible that a similar percentage of the population has historically been dying off, via murder and natural disaster and it only seems like it's getting worse because (A.) there are more people (to kill and be killed) and (B.) through the technology of communication, we have become more aware of it happening?

True on both counts, I'd say. That does account quite comprehensively for the "x people killed in y" type of statistics. Natural disasters kill a smaller proportion of people each time; but that's still more people. It's like comparing prices without adjusting for inflation... And of course, there's our awareness of it to be mindful of. An earthquake in rural China would have caught approximately nobody's interest even a couple decades ago. Now? Well.

By literally every possible measure except how many of us there are, life is better, and will (probably) continue to trend so (well - for the near future).

Life cannot keep getting exponentially better for an exponentially increasing number of humans confined to a finite ecosystem, mind, so there's that to watch out for in the future.

The aggregate global rate of increase peaked several decades ago. But that's a combination of a natural steady-state in all but the poorest countries - and several percentage point growth in those countries. Except due to the nature of exponential growth the absolute rate of increase is higher than ever...

... this is my signature!
23-10-2013, 06:49 PM
The world is going to hell in a hand basket.

Food sucks anymore, there is no flavor in an fruit or veg you can buy in a store, and people have no idea what sweet flavors they are naturally. The real thing has not been available in so long that people have no memory of it or never even tasted it.

Children have no freedom anymore, we used to leave the house in the morning to go play and come home at dark. No one worried, nothing happened to anyone.

Cities stink these days. They really do, literally. Spend two weeks someplace in the country and come back and you'll smell it. YUCK!

Mass produced food contains more and more contaminants and they are legal in small amounts. You eat mouse shit and rat meat and all kinds of chemicals and we have no idea about long term effect.

Disorders thrive - visible ones. They were not around when I was a kid, no one had a visible disorder except for Downs syndrome.

People get older and older but no one wants to care for them and so they get shoved into old folk farms where they get some basic care and no love and no recognition. You want to spend your old age, your very long old age, that way? Not me.

I could go on and on.

Now get off my lawn! Drinking Beverage

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
23-10-2013, 07:00 PM
A lot of sensationalism...mostly... But the environment that's some real shit and there are no 2nd chances.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-10-2013, 07:03 PM
World Going to Hell!
(23-10-2013 12:02 PM)Timber1025 Wrote:  You know what I mean - not literally. I hear people say this all the time in reaction to something horrible in the news, and I usually play devils advocate and present reasons to the contrary. Is the world really much worse today than the recent or distant past?

The negative outlook mostly comes from my elder relatives, and christians I know (man has turned away from god allowing sin and evil to dominate). Aren't death rates and crime rates on the decline? I realize that school shootings and terrorism are more commonplace today, but do these things make the whole world worse than ever? How bad can it be if we could, from the palm of our hands, talk to someone across the globe, order dinner, change the cable channel, get news traffic and weather alerts, pay the bills, and find a doctor? Geez, my parents had to deal with inflation, gas shortages, crazy/criminal president, unemployment, hostage crisis, and the threat of nuclear war every day.

Every gaeneration complains. We have terrorism now, 70 years ago we had the Holocaust.
We have school shootings now, then we had lynchings. Because of the internet, tv etc.we hear more
about all the crimes, wars etc.

Does anybody know what the worst school mass murder was in USA history?
Anyone take a guess?
23-10-2013, 08:23 PM
(23-10-2013 06:49 PM)Dom Wrote:  Disorders thrive - visible ones. They were not around when I was a kid, no one had a visible disorder except for Downs syndrome.

A coworker of mine was taking about this very thing this morning. His theory seems plausible, it's technology. We have improved our medical technology so much that babies that would have never survived fifty years ago now have a much higher survival rate. Preemies have overwhelming odds of survival these days, along with the conditions that may be caused by premature birth.

Natural selection isn't being allowed to follow it's natural course, and those that survive with conditions that are hereditary are much more likely to live and pass on these conditions. So they become much more prevalent.

I'm not sure he's correct, but it seems logical to me. Same reason people are living to a ripe old unnecessary age.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco