World Going to Hell!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-10-2013, 10:21 PM
RE: World Going to Hell!
(23-10-2013 10:07 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Mostly hairless Apes dressed up in silly clothes?

Mostly... but intelligent ones.
It's damn cold outside but I'm pretty comfy with the fire over there and enjoying the technology of fermentation and distillation. Intelligent, advanced, superior,... but evolved out of the same things as a cockroach.

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-10-2013, 11:47 PM
I feel like all species weaken during good times as the survival rates increase and therefor variations occur but hard times are inevitable and in those hard times only the best will survive.

We are all actually horribly deformed, all of humanity is missing the jaw muscle that would allow us to chew roots and tough vegetation... It made room for more brain power but before that payoff those individuals had to be considerably weaker than the others. Stands to reason that those early men had plenty of other stuff to eat.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-10-2013, 05:04 AM
(23-10-2013 08:23 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(23-10-2013 06:49 PM)Dom Wrote:  Disorders thrive - visible ones. They were not around when I was a kid, no one had a visible disorder except for Downs syndrome.

A coworker of mine was taking about this very thing this morning. His theory seems plausible, it's technology. We have improved our medical technology so much that babies that would have never survived fifty years ago now have a much higher survival rate. Preemies have overwhelming odds of survival these days, along with the conditions that may be caused by premature birth.

Natural selection isn't being allowed to follow it's natural course, and those that survive with conditions that are hereditary are much more likely to live and pass on these conditions. So they become much more prevalent.

I'm not sure he's correct, but it seems logical to me. Same reason people are living to a ripe old unnecessary age.

In prior generations, children with disorders were usually institutionalized.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
24-10-2013, 05:28 AM
(24-10-2013 05:04 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(23-10-2013 08:23 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  A coworker of mine was taking about this very thing this morning. His theory seems plausible, it's technology. We have improved our medical technology so much that babies that would have never survived fifty years ago now have a much higher survival rate. Preemies have overwhelming odds of survival these days, along with the conditions that may be caused by premature birth.

Natural selection isn't being allowed to follow it's natural course, and those that survive with conditions that are hereditary are much more likely to live and pass on these conditions. So they become much more prevalent.

I'm not sure he's correct, but it seems logical to me. Same reason people are living to a ripe old unnecessary age.

In prior generations, children with disorders were usually institutionalized.

Not where I grew up. Germany, after the end of WW2, institutions were shunned by all because under Hitler most who went to any institution just disappeared. Autism, Aspergers etc. simply didn't exist.

I agree about the increased survival rate of babies. But I also consider exposure to "foreign matter" a possible influence. Chemicals leached by plastics into our food, medications fed to food animals, air contamination and what have you could all play a role in this. We don't know. There is no long term testing. We live in absolute ignorance regarding this.

A ripe old unnecessary age? Unnecessary? How very cold of you. And exactly the attitude that will see me commit suicide as my body ages. Life would be pretty awful if that is what people think. No

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
24-10-2013, 06:13 AM
(23-10-2013 01:28 PM)nach_in Wrote:  We're mostly not afraid of being burned at the stake because of our beliefs. That's a net improvement I think
Unfortunately comments like this show a willingness to bury ones head in the sand on the issue of religious liberty. There have been more Christ martyrs in the last one hundred years at the hands of communist states and Islamists than were martyred in all the centuries previously combined.

As this article shows, every year over 100,000 Christians are martyred for their faith.
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/06/02/...use-faith/

When we add the shocking slaughter of the innocents in the wombs with approximately 44 million babies every year being destroyed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion

This indicates that the world has never been as barbaric as it is today.
We have a thin veneer of sophistication to disguise the fact that we are savages.

However most here do not care about the unborn or Christians, so of course, they think things are picking up.
24-10-2013, 07:14 AM
(24-10-2013 06:13 AM)excubitor Wrote:  
(23-10-2013 01:28 PM)nach_in Wrote:  We're mostly not afraid of being burned at the stake because of our beliefs. That's a net improvement I think
Unfortunately comments like this show a willingness to bury ones head in the sand on the issue of religious liberty. There have been more Christ martyrs in the last one hundred years at the hands of communist states and Islamists than were martyred in all the centuries previously combined.

As this article shows, every year over 100,000 Christians are martyred for their faith.
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/06/02/...use-faith/

When we add the shocking slaughter of the innocents in the wombs with approximately 44 million babies every year being destroyed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion

This indicates that the world has never been as barbaric as it is today.
We have a thin veneer of sophistication to disguise the fact that we are savages.

However most here do not care about the unborn or Christians, so of course, they think things are picking up.

Yeah, another reason to be atheist. The religious are repeatedly killing off the religious , all in the name of their gods....

As far as fetuses go, these are not people and hence can't be killed. You have to live before you can die.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
24-10-2013, 07:33 AM
I have always thought that the result of having it so good with our intellegence, medicine and technology, we have sort of intervened in the evolution of humans. Natural selction does not seem so "natural" anymore when our own knowledge of how nature works is driving the future for humans. I can see ouselves turning into thoses characters in the Disney movie Wally where we all move around on scooters with a computer screen in front of our faces - not too thrilling in my view.

It is funny how FAUX news reports on the christians being martyred while never running a story on how many have been martyred by christains, past and present.

One more question - how many "innocents" were killed by this god fellow at the hand of the sword, floods, disease, hunger, fire and good old fashioned everyday rocks?

There can be but little liberty on earth while men worship a tyrant in heaven. - Robert Green Ingersoll
There is no one to foregive me, so I have to be kind to people the first time.
11-11-2013, 03:37 PM
Given scientific developments post Industrial Revolution the share of the earth cake seems quite distorted.
The disparity between third and first world is strong with, as Mao put it, power( (still) coming from the end of a gun.
Religions to a large degree have been tried and found wanting.
Spirituality is arguably another area in need of genuine appraisal.
Perhaps a blatant ego based materialism, along with dogmatic religious fundamentalism, are both leading us along increasingly destructive paths.