World War I, II, & III

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-05-2012, 03:07 AM (This post was last modified: 29-05-2012 07:54 AM by TheArcticSage.)
World War I, II, & III
Hello, I am TheArcticSage and I am posting this thread in hopes that information can be gathered upon World War I. If you know of any good documentaries, movies, video games, medical reports, stories from those who fought, books pertaining to the event, or any other type of research I would be more than happy if you were to share it here. I've watched some good films such as War Horse, All Quiet On The Western Front, and a few others. But sadly my knowledge to this horrible and yet fascinating event can not be based off of movies or books alone (I've read all quiet on the western front as well as watched the movie) and I hardly gained sufficient knowledge to quench my curiosity in school.

In fact I am also suggesting to rethink our civilizations way of teaching young people about such historically important events, that instead of compiling world events into one text book, if the world event is important and big enough it should deserve it's own text book. Think of all the knowledge!

It seems that there are no good world war I games from what I've browsed on Wikipedia, I would like to suggest to our society that they make an FPS game of WWI with the graphics and the gameplay of MW3 or something like that of Mount and Blade/Mount and Musket. All who agree with me on this please say so. Think of the online battles. the Mount series is the one which is capable of large and truly epic online battles. There is money to be had in this I tell you! Tell the gaming industries! Why should WWII get all the glory when you don't even let them fight as Germans? Am I the only one thinking this is a little prejudiced here?

Edit: Thread Accommodated for the discussion of World War II and the probability of World War III. How do you think the Nazi's could have won World War II? Which side were you rooting for? Will there be a World War III? Wanna bet China is involved?

Update: I'm just going to post this here it will be expanded as I learn more names. I will also try and date their service, and list their service records. And If I can, I'll try to post pictures of them from WWI. Please feel free to add people and information to this list.

A list of famous people who fought in WWI.

[Image: adolfhitler4.jpg]
1. Adolf Hitler 1914-1918 ( notable battles: Somme, Passchendaele, Arras, Flanders) - (wounded twice, war ended while recovering)

[Image: 040102_image8.jpg]
2. J.R.R. Tolkien 1915-1916 (notable battles: Somme) - (invalidated due to medical reasons)

[Image: 220px-Ernest_Hemingway_in_Milan_1918_retouched_3.jpg]
3. Ernest Hemingway 1918-1918 (sustained severe leg injuries when wounded by shrapnel)

[Image: 200px-Mvrredbaron.jpg]
4. Manfred von Richthofen (the red baron) 1914-1918 (originally served as cavalry, later transferred to the air force, wounded once, killed in action)

[Image: 235px-Wilfred_Owen_plate_from_Poems_%281920%29.jpg]
5. Wilfred Owen 1915-1918 (nearly killed by trench mortar, shell shocked, killed in action)

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQn4-x4IRIuLFUnAhwaHKt...AEECwPw-5w]
6. George Patton 1917-1918 (was a tank commander, wounded in the leg, war ended while recovering)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-05-2012, 03:19 AM
RE: World War I
As for the movies, watch "The Red Baron", brilliant movie, made about the biggest flying ace of that time and most famous of all war pilots ever.

As for the WW1, isn't it easier to read a book about history than to ask us about something we might know?

Start with Wikipedia, then go to your nearest library and get the first book that says World War 1.

What?

Smile

P.S.

Or do you just want us to say something about WW1, so that you can explain to us how wrong we are and how we don't know anything, but you do?

Big Grin

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
24-05-2012, 03:25 AM
(24-05-2012 03:19 AM)Filox Wrote:  As for the movies, watch "The Red Baron", brilliant movie, made about the biggest flying ace of that time and most famous of all war pilots ever.

As for the WW1, isn't it easier to read a book about history than to ask us about something we might know?

Start with Wikipedia, then go to your nearest library and get the first book that says World War 1.

What?

Smile

P.S.

Or do you just want us to say something about WW1, so that you can explain to us how wrong we are and how we don't know anything, but you do?

Big Grin
I currently owe my library an overcharge for a book that I turned in late, I don't want to pay right now. As for 'The Red Baron' I was severely disappointed with that movie, I think it made him to 'girly' and I think he was also a bit young. And you just had to put that last part in didn't you. -.- No unlike whatever you may think I do research upon other things besides that.
24-05-2012, 03:34 AM
You think he was a bit young? Have you checked what he really was? 26 at the time of his death, only 26 and he is the biggest name in war pilot history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_baron

As for the rest of the movie, I found it to be quite good. Specially loved how they threw in the Jewish guy that was flying for the Germany. Within that character they wanted to point out that there were many Jews in the WW1 that fought on the German side.

Research or not, you are a very stubborn person and even if we all bitchslap you with tons of opposed evidence, you simply discard them all, so, what am I to think about you?

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
24-05-2012, 03:40 AM
(24-05-2012 03:34 AM)Filox Wrote:  You think he was a bit young? Have you checked what he really was? 26 at the time of his death, only 26 and he is the biggest name in war pilot history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_baron

As for the rest of the movie, I found it to be quite good. Specially loved how they threw in the Jewish guy that was flying for the Germany. Within that character they wanted to point out that there were many Jews in the WW1 that fought on the German side.
Yeah but the actor looks like a 16 year old... and the part with the fling with the nurse was almost unbearable to watch.
24-05-2012, 06:02 PM (This post was last modified: 24-05-2012 06:07 PM by TheArcticSage.)
Also for a good documentary there is a ten part series about 50 minutes for each part. so that's 500 minutes of documentation! It provides a very good summary of world war I and I would like to put this out there for all those just starting to research world war I. Here is the first of ten, it provides a very good look at just how the war started. Instead of what my school textbook taught me. You know what it told me? "The assassination of the Franz Ferdinand led to a series of chain events that caused world war I" and then it just skipped over what those chain of events were and just briefly touched up on how the war started. I shit you not, that is word for word of what that textbook had in it. I could strangle who ever wrote that book right now...

24-05-2012, 08:56 PM
For the WW1 games try Victoria 2. Though it has quite the learning curve and you'll probably just give up so don't say I didn't warn you. As for why there is a sever lack of video games related to WW1 it is because nothing happened. Like WW2 you have forces pushing forwarded and being pushed back. I mean that's all WW2 was, Germany pushed into France, some time later the allies landed at Normandy and pushed back through France and into Germany. Same with the Soviets, Germany pushed into the USSR until they pushed to far and couldn't supply themselves well and there was a bit of a stalemate at Stalingrad but the it was the Soviets pushing back. The African war was extremely back and forward. And the war in the Pacific was island hopping. So it was very action packed. As well as air combat, city bombings etc.. and naval combat was much more then who had the biggest battleship then.
WW1 in comparison was boring as shit. Pretty much stalemate everywhere. Intelligence and technology was shit. Nothing happened short of men charging uphill fortified positions and getting mowed down. You can't make that into a video game.

But anyway, WW1 here goes.

Firstly, remember that this is a very different time. This is a time of Monarchies and huge country patronage. Very much a time of, "For the Empire!". Think, Napoleonic era style politics. Also the USA is pretty meh at this point, no where near the super power it is now, same as Asian countries. Europe is definitely the center of all world power. Not like today (split between US, Europe, China and there are many emerging powers such as Indian and Brazil.)
aka, it is a very different time period. It is also very different to the WW2 period, politically.

Prior to WW1 it is important to know where each European power stood.
Austria-Hungary really wanted Serbia to be integrated into their nation. The Austrians saw them as rightfully part of their nation, so they were itching to force them, militarily, into their nation.
The British Empire had signed the The Treaty of London some time in the 1800's that guaranteed Belgium's neutrality. Basically if anyone fucked with Belgium, the British Empire would fuck with them.
In 1879 or somewhere around that Austria proposed an alliance with Germany. Germany thought this was a good idea and agreed.
Italy joins some time later forming The Triple Alliance.
Russia and France form an alliance in 1890 something.
The British Empire gets in on the action and joins the Russian-Franco alliance forming The Triple Entente. (Because the triple alliance name was already taken).

Oh it is also worth noting that Germany had actually just formed around the 1870's or so. Before hand the German region was formed of many different little countries that were formed after the fall of the Holy Roman Empire. When the Holy Roman Empire fell it split into a shit load of small countries. Over time those countries merged and became into bigger countries, Austria being one, Hanover another, Prussia another etc.. Anyway, Prussia was the power in the north and Austria in the south. Prussia fought France for land and then soon after Bismarck formed the German Empire in 1871, uniting the last of the small German cultured nations. This is also why Hitler in WW2 intergrated Austria into Germany, he believed Austria rightfully belonged to Germany, being a state that came to be out of the collapse of the Holy Roman Empire. That and I think he was pissed at Austria for causing WW1 in the first place but whatever.
My point is, Germany just finished a war against France and came out extremely powerful and so was eager to get in and finish the job.

Anyway.
In 1914 the Serbs assassinate Franz Ferdinande, the Austrian Archduke.
This is where shit hits the fan.
Austria made demands from the Serbs or threaten attack.
Russia and Britain said the Austrians didn't give the Serbs enough time to comply (48hours). And Germany said they supported Austria.
Serbia complied with most of the demands but not all so Austria started getting restless. Because Austria started getting restless Russia decided to start getting ready for war.
Austria tells Serbia to comply or get ready to get fucked over so Serbia mobilizes its army. Austria does the same. When Serbia doesn't bow to Austria-Hungary, Austria-Hungary declares war on Serbia.
All the while the British are standing on the sidelines saying "plz stop".
It comes up that Germany wants to fuck up France and further more wants to do it by going through Belgium. (The French, German border was heavily fortified due to the Franco-Prussian war and France being nervous about Germany. The defenses were suppose to carry on through Belgium and the Netherlands but that shit never happened and it stopped at the Belgium border).
Germany tells Russia to stopping mobilizing its army, but Russia says fuck off and so Germany declares war on Russia.
The Germans and the Ottomans sign a secret treaty.

Because of the Russian-France treaty alliance, Germany requests France stay neutral. France tells Germany to fuck off so Germany declares war on France too.
Germany then threatens Belgium saying that if Belgium doesn't allow Germany free passage then Germany would declare war on Belgium.
Belgium, knowing it is guaranteed by The British Empire also tells Germany to go fuck itself. So Germany invades Belgium.
The British then declare war on Germany.

Germany and Austria requested Italy to lend a hand, due to their triple alliance, but Italy wanted Austrian lands and so he said "nah", claiming the Austrians were the aggressor. Italy had signed a secret alliance with France in the early 1900's. So Italy joined the Allies.

Japan also joined the Allies because of some treaty with someone, the UK maybe.

The US stayed neutral for bloody ages.

So yes, it is all politics. Then the actual action happened through a series of campaigns. Basically Austria sucked balls and WAY over estimated Serbia who gave them a run for their money. A bunch of countries fough in other countries and at some point the Western Boarder, and trench warfare, was formed because the Germans over extended themselves.

Some time through the war German subs were destroying ships going between the Britain and the US and at some point they sunk a cruise liner. They claimed it was carrying amunition (a justification for the attack) but America declined that it was (an exposition not long ago took a sub/camera to the wreck and found ammunition on board... Lying US government much?). Anyway, this among a few other things brought the US into the war and pretty much sealed the deal against Germany and so Germany, Austria-Hungary and the Ottoman Empire lost.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
24-05-2012, 11:00 PM
(24-05-2012 08:56 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  For the WW1 games try Victoria 2. Though it has quite the learning curve and you'll probably just give up so don't say I didn't warn you. As for why there is a sever lack of video games related to WW1 it is because nothing happened. Like WW2 you have forces pushing forwarded and being pushed back. I mean that's all WW2 was, Germany pushed into France, some time later the allies landed at Normandy and pushed back through France and into Germany. Same with the Soviets, Germany pushed into the USSR until they pushed to far and couldn't supply themselves well and there was a bit of a stalemate at Stalingrad but the it was the Soviets pushing back. The African war was extremely back and forward. And the war in the Pacific was island hopping. So it was very action packed. As well as air combat, city bombings etc.. and naval combat was much more then who had the biggest battleship then.
WW1 in comparison was boring as shit. Pretty much stalemate everywhere. Intelligence and technology was shit. Nothing happened short of men charging uphill fortified positions and getting mowed down. You can't make that into a video game.

Firstly, remember that this is a very different time. This is a time of Monarchies and huge country patronage. Very much a time of, "For the Empire!". Think, Napoleonic era style politics. Also the USA is pretty meh at this point, no where near the super power it is now, same as Asian countries. Europe is definitely the center of all world power. Not like today (split between US, Europe, China and there are many emerging powers such as Indian and Brazil.)
aka, it is a very different time period. It is also very different to the WW2 period, politically.

Austria-Hungary really wanted Serbia to be integrated into their nation. The Austrians saw them as rightfully part of their nation, so they were itching to force them, militarily, into their nation.
The British Empire had signed the The Treaty of London some time in the 1800's that guaranteed Belgium's neutrality. Basically if anyone fucked with Belgium, the British Empire would fuck with them.
In 1879 or somewhere around that Austria proposed an alliance with Germany. Germany thought this was a good idea and agreed.
The British Empire gets in on the action and joins the Russian-Franco alliance forming The Triple Entente. (Because the triple alliance name was already taken).

Oh it is also worth noting that Germany had actually just formed around the 1870's or so. Before hand the German region was formed of many different little countries that were formed after the fall of the Holy Roman Empire. When the Holy Roman Empire fell it split into a shit load of small countries. Over time those countries merged and became into bigger countries, Austria being one, Hanover another, Prussia another etc.. Anyway, Prussia was the power in the north and Austria in the south. Prussia fought France for land and then soon after Bismarck formed the German Empire in 1871, uniting the last of the small German cultured nations. This is also why Hitler in WW2 intergrated Austria into Germany, he believed Austria rightfully belonged to Germany, being a state that came to be out of the collapse of the Holy Roman Empire. That and I think he was pissed at Austria for causing WW1 in the first place but whatever.
My point is, Germany just finished a war against France and came out extremely powerful and so was eager to get in and finish the job.

Anyway.
Russia and Britain said the Austrians didn't give the Serbs enough time to comply (48hours). And Germany said they supported Austria.
Serbia complied with most of the demands but not all so Austria started getting restless. Because Austria started getting restless Russia decided to start getting ready for war.
Austria tells Serbia to comply or get ready to get fucked over so Serbia mobilizes its army. Austria does the same. When Serbia doesn't bow to Austria-Hungary, Austria-Hungary declares war on Serbia.
It comes up that Germany wants to fuck up France and further more wants to do it by going through Belgium. (The French, German border was heavily fortified due to the Franco-Prussian war and France being nervous about Germany. The defenses were suppose to carry on through Belgium and the Netherlands but that shit never happened and it stopped at the Belgium border).
Germany tells Russia to stopping mobilizing its army, but Russia says fuck off and so Germany declares war on Russia.

Because of the Russian-France treaty alliance, Germany requests France stay neutral. France tells Germany to fuck off so Germany declares war on France too.
Germany then threatens Belgium saying that if Belgium doesn't allow Germany free passage then Germany would declare war on Belgium.
Belgium, knowing it is guaranteed by The British Empire also tells Germany to go fuck itself. So Germany invades Belgium.

Germany and Austria requested Italy to lend a hand, due to their triple alliance, but Italy wanted Austrian lands and so he said "nah", claiming the Austrians were the aggressor. Italy had signed a secret alliance with France in the early 1900's. So Italy joined the Allies.

So yes, it is all politics. Then the actual action happened through a series of campaigns. Basically Austria sucked balls and WAY over estimated Serbia who gave them a run for their money. A bunch of countries fough in other countries and at some point the Western Boarder, and trench warfare, was formed because the Germans over extended themselves.

Some time through the war German subs were destroying ships going between the Britain and the US and at some point they sunk a cruise liner. They claimed it was carrying amunition (a justification for the attack) but America declined that it was (an exposition not long ago took a sub/camera to the wreck and found ammunition on board... Lying US government much?). Anyway, this among a few other things brought the US into the war and pretty much sealed the deal against Germany and so Germany, Austria-Hungary and the Ottoman Empire lost.
I actually had a lot of family members die in WWI, my grandfathers side were all pure-blooded italians. And my family has a picture of a stone monument with the list of dead from my family. I think there were somewhere over a dozen of them with our family name. My great grandfather was very lucky to have survived that war, as am I lucky. because of my grandfather, there are over 50 more people in this world. My grandfather has the best of childhood stories though >.> I should ask him to record his memories, like my other grandfather did before he passed away.
25-05-2012, 04:04 AM
(24-05-2012 11:00 PM)TheArcticSage Wrote:  
(24-05-2012 08:56 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  For the WW1 games try Victoria 2. Though it has quite the learning curve and you'll probably just give up so don't say I didn't warn you. As for why there is a sever lack of video games related to WW1 it is because nothing happened. Like WW2 you have forces pushing forwarded and being pushed back. I mean that's all WW2 was, Germany pushed into France, some time later the allies landed at Normandy and pushed back through France and into Germany. Same with the Soviets, Germany pushed into the USSR until they pushed to far and couldn't supply themselves well and there was a bit of a stalemate at Stalingrad but the it was the Soviets pushing back. The African war was extremely back and forward. And the war in the Pacific was island hopping. So it was very action packed. As well as air combat, city bombings etc.. and naval combat was much more then who had the biggest battleship then.

Anyway.

I actually had a lot of family members die in WWI, my grandfathers side were all pure-blooded italians. And my family has a picture of a stone monument with the list of dead from my family. I think there were somewhere over a dozen of them with our family name. My great grandfather was very lucky to have survived that war, as am I lucky. because of my grandfather, there are over 50 more people in this world. My grandfather has the best of childhood stories though >.> I should ask him to record his memories, like my other grandfather did before he passed away.
Who cares if your family died in WW1, people die all the time.
You're just causing a fuss because it's YOUR family. What about all the people that die in Africa all the time.

see what I did there?

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
25-05-2012, 05:44 AM (This post was last modified: 25-05-2012 07:14 AM by TheArcticSage.)
(25-05-2012 04:04 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(24-05-2012 11:00 PM)TheArcticSage Wrote:  I actually had a lot of family members die in WWI, my grandfathers side were all pure-blooded italians. And my family has a picture of a stone monument with the list of dead from my family. I think there were somewhere over a dozen of them with our family name. My great grandfather was very lucky to have survived that war, as am I lucky. because of my grandfather, there are over 50 more people in this world. My grandfather has the best of childhood stories though >.> I should ask him to record his memories, like my other grandfather did before he passed away.
Who cares if your family died in WW1, people die all the time.
You're just causing a fuss because it's YOUR family. What about all the people that die in Africa all the time.

see what I did there?
Yes I see what you did there, and I fully respect your right to not care about my family. Just putting it out there that a lot of my family died in WWI that was all.

Also there appears to have been made a documentary which converts world war I black and white film into color. You can buy the documentary if you have the money. And here is some footage of it.