World War I, II, & III

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-05-2012, 09:47 PM
RE: World War I
A Farewell to Arms. Deals with the italian front and the way soldiers interacted to a point.

Under Repair.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes itsacow's post
26-05-2012, 03:41 AM
For a different viewpoint, take a look at Vera Brittain's "Testament of Youth"
(review: http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2009/may...uth-review )

And, of course, don't forget Blackadder Goes Fourth... the last few seconds of that series sums up WW1 for me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IglUmgYGxLM

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
26-05-2012, 03:53 AM
(26-05-2012 03:41 AM)DLJ Wrote:  For a different viewpoint, take a look at Vera Brittain's "Testament of Youth"

And, of course, don't forget Blackadder Goes Fourth... the last few seconds of that series sums up WW1 for me.
Blackadder has fucking HUGH LAURIE IN IT! You'd have to be daft not to watch it!
26-05-2012, 04:10 AM
(26-05-2012 03:53 AM)TheArcticSage Wrote:  
(26-05-2012 03:41 AM)DLJ Wrote:  For a different viewpoint, take a look at Vera Brittain's "Testament of Youth"

Blackadder has fucking HUGH LAURIE IN IT! You'd have to be daft not to watch it!
Daft?
Maybe I am sitting here with my underpants on my head with pencils up my nose saying... wibble!

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
26-05-2012, 06:30 AM
(24-05-2012 03:07 AM)TheArcticSage Wrote:  Hello, I am TheArcticSage and I am posting this thread in hopes that information can be gathered upon World War I. If you know of any good documentaries, movies, video games, medical reports, stories from those who fought, books pertaining to the event, or any other type of research I would be more than happy if you were to share it here. I've watched some good films such as War Horse, All Quiet On The Western Front, and a few others. But sadly my knowledge to this horrible and yet fascinating event can not be based off of movies or books alone (I've read all quiet on the western front as well as watched the movie) and I hardly gained sufficient knowledge to quench my curiosity in school.

In fact I am also suggesting to rethink our civilizations way of teaching young people about such historically important events, that instead of compiling world events into one text book, if the world event is important and big enough it should deserve it's own text book. Think of all the knowledge!

It seems that there are no good world war I games from what I've browsed on Wikipedia, I would like to suggest to our society that they make an FPS game of WWI with the graphics and the gameplay of MW3 or something like that of Mount and Blade/Mount and Musket. All who agree with me on this please say so. Think of the online battles. the Mount series is the one which is capable of large and truly epic online battles. There is money to be had in this I tell you! Tell the gaming industries! Why should WWII get all the glory when you don't even let them fight as Germans? Am I the only one thinking this is a little prejudiced here?
I found Tuchman' Guns of August very interesting on the way things devolved leading up to the war and a background of those who would lead the armies. I have not read All Quiet on the Western Front, would you recommend it?

The few documentaries I've seen have been ok but none that stand out. They were on the History International Channel.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
26-05-2012, 07:55 AM
(26-05-2012 06:30 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  I found Tuchman' Guns of August very interesting on the way things devolved leading up to the war and a background of those who would lead the armies. I have not read All Quiet on the Western Front, would you recommend it?

The few documentaries I've seen have been ok but none that stand out. They were on the History International Channel.
All Quiet on the Western Front is a classic, delightful, and sometimes brutal. Reading it is a must for anyone wanting to get a good look of what World War I was like. From the german perspective as well, which is simply wonderful. You shouldn't let your mind get bogged down with war propaganda.
26-05-2012, 08:10 AM
(26-05-2012 07:55 AM)TheArcticSage Wrote:  
(26-05-2012 06:30 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  I found Tuchman' Guns of August very interesting on the way things devolved leading up to the war and a background of those who would lead the armies. I have not read All Quiet on the Western Front, would you recommend it?

All Quiet on the Western Front is a classic, delightful, and sometimes brutal. Reading it is a must for anyone wanting to get a good look of what World War I was like. From the german perspective as well, which is simply wonderful. You shouldn't let your mind get bogged down with war propaganda.
One of my favorite books about WWII was written by German Colonel...and I don't bog down Smile I like to look at things from all angles. Guns of August made the saying "Lions led by Donkeys" crystal clear. You could see the writing on the wall and how soldiers on all sides were going to pay a heavy price due to a bunch of morons.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
26-05-2012, 08:14 AM
(26-05-2012 08:10 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  One of my favorite books about WWII was written by German Colonel...and I don't bog down Smile I like to look at things from all angles. Guns of August made the saying "Lions led by Donkeys" crystal clear. You could see the writing on the wall and how soldiers on all sides were going to pay a heavy price due to a bunch of morons.
I should hope not, what book was it that was written by the German Colonel might I ask? Lions are often led by donkeys, and snakes, even today. That's why a lion should lead itself Wink
26-05-2012, 08:35 AM
(26-05-2012 08:14 AM)TheArcticSage Wrote:  
(26-05-2012 08:10 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  One of my favorite books about WWII was written by German Colonel...and I don't bog down Smile I like to look at things from all angles. Guns of August made the saying "Lions led by Donkeys" crystal clear. You could see the writing on the wall and how soldiers on all sides were going to pay a heavy price due to a bunch of morons.
I should hope not, what book was it that was written by the German Colonel might I ask? Lions are often led by donkeys, and snakes, even today. That's why a lion should lead itself Wink
The title is Panzer Commander by Hans von Luck. It was a very enjoyable read, I'm old enough to have had all my WWII history presented from the US/UK side. I was just an insatiable reader open to exploring so I learned more. It can be fun and sad to watch people that take just one side as truth. I've found the world a little too messy for that to work. And they most certainly should lead themselves! Smile

David Hume
27-05-2012, 02:17 AM
(26-05-2012 08:35 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  The title is Panzer Commander by Hans von Luck. It was a very enjoyable read, I'm old enough to have had all my WWII history presented from the US/UK side. I was just an insatiable reader open to exploring so I learned more. It can be fun and sad to watch people that take just one side as truth. I've found the world a little too messy for that to work. And they most certainly should lead themselves! Smile
Books and poems wrote by those who fought in wars often tend to be good sources to learn about the wars. As long they hated the war, and didn't try to make it sound glorious. Here's a bloody good one.
Quote:"Dulce et Decorum Est "

Bent double, like old beggars under sacks,

Knock-kneed, coughing like hags, we cursed through sludge,
Till on the haunting flares we turned our backs

And towards our distant rest began to trudge.

Men marched asleep. Many had lost their boots

But limped on, blood-shod. All went lame; all blind;

Drunk with fatigue; deaf even to the hoots

Of tired, outstripped Five-Nines that dropped behind.

Gas! GAS! Quick, boys! -- An ecstasy of fumbling,

Fitting the clumsy helmets just in time;

But someone still was yelling out and stumbling

And flound'ring like a man in fire or lime . . .

Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light,

As under I green sea, I saw him drowning.

In all my dreams, before my helpless sight,

He plunges at me, guttering, choking, drowning.

If in some smothering dreams you too could pace

Behind the wagon that we flung him in,

And watch the white eyes writhing in his face,

His hanging face, like a devil's sick of sin;

If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood

Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs,

Obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud

Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues, --

My friend, you would not tell with such high zest

To children ardent for some desperate glory,

The old lie: Dulce et decorum est

Pro patria mori.