World War II.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-06-2016, 05:54 PM
World War II.
This is a thread where people can discuss every aspect of WWII. From Hitler's election, to the embargo on Japan, to Japan's insult at Australia's White Australia Policy, the invasion of Poland, machinery, Japan's quest for empire, everything.

I'll ask the first question.

What do you believe was the most important event that began WWII, and why?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post
07-06-2016, 09:04 PM (This post was last modified: 07-06-2016 09:11 PM by Fatbaldhobbit.)
RE: World War II.
I am not an expert by any means, but:

I would blame the rise of fascism, but I don't know if I'm knowledgeable enough to defend that statement.

There is also the settlements/armistice/reparations and general fallout from the end of World War I.

ETA:

To the why:

I think the way the countries were divided after WWI caused a great many problems and hard feelings. The harsh financial reparations against Germany added fuel to Hitler's agenda and gave him a scapegoat.

The problems of the Fascists all over Europe seem pretty evident. Are Soviet Russia and Imperial Japan considered fascist? Not sure.

I would venture that the US should have been more involved in European affairs, hopefully in a positive way, but I'm not sure that would have been appreciated or even possible.

One interesting thought is: If nuclear weapons had not been invented, how many more world wars would we have fought?

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
07-06-2016, 09:32 PM
(07-06-2016 05:54 PM)Banjo Wrote:  What do you believe was the most important event that began WWII, and why?

WWI lol. That's actually a very difficult question, as I'm sure you're aware. There are probably a thousand different factors that all created the right climate for WWII from events right before it started to pre-existing situations from a thousand years ago.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
07-06-2016, 09:38 PM
Quote:What do you believe was the most important event that began WWII, and why?

The Treaty of Versailles.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 7 users Like Minimalist's post
07-06-2016, 09:42 PM
I would be interested in details concerning the Japanese internment camps.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
07-06-2016, 09:51 PM (This post was last modified: 08-06-2016 11:08 AM by Thumpalumpacus.)
For the European side of things, the Versailles Treaty. It laid the groundwork for fascist revisionism and resentments, allowing Adolf to stoke the fires and heat up the continent. I think WWI also contributed to the splintering of national polities: Germany and France each suffered a multiplicity of parties, and in the UK it was expressed more clearly in a gulf between the Tories and the Liberals; I think those were all effects arising from individual experiences in war being brought home without a cogent narrative to define the sacrifice. America saw the same thing in the 60s and 70s, with Vietnam being the catalyst. Such an unsettled political landscape allows demagogues to thrive.

In Asia, it was the UK's waning strength, the resentment held by the Japanese towards treay-enforced inferiority, and their need for resources. The fact is that without a solid oil source, the IJN was only able to keep about 18 months' stock on hand for normal peacetime use, never mind wartime -- or even exercises. Couple that with a huge and expensive military operation in China, a limited national economy, and a political movement inside the country that held military guidance over foreign policy as a good system, and you've got problems. FDR's decision for partial and later total embargoes only sped up the process.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
07-06-2016, 09:54 PM
Another good question: most decisive battle of that war? I've got my own opinion -- there are two, not one -- but a ore interested in hearing others' first.
07-06-2016, 09:57 PM
(07-06-2016 09:54 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Another good question: most decisive battle of that war? I've got my own opinion -- there are two, not one -- but a ore interested in hearing others' first.

The Battle of Stalingrad perhaps.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
07-06-2016, 11:05 PM
(07-06-2016 05:54 PM)Banjo Wrote:  This is a thread where people can discuss every aspect of WWII. From Hitler's election, to the embargo on Japan, to Japan's insult at Australia's White Australia Policy, the invasion of Poland, machinery, Japan's quest for empire, everything.

I'll ask the first question.

What do you believe was the most important event that began WWII, and why?

The German generals and military leadership thought Hitler was nuts and were appalled when he first started the expansionary campaigns. They should have acted to take him out then. They didn't believe they could win at the beginning. Then they did win, were surprised, and it was already too late.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
07-06-2016, 11:18 PM
(07-06-2016 09:54 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Another good question: most decisive battle of that war? I've got my own opinion -- there are two, not one -- but a ore interested in hearing others' first.

Stalingrad

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post