World War Z

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-05-2013, 09:23 PM
RE: World War Z
I'm worried it might be too much like "I Am Legend" - it's tough to buy into faceless CGI antagonists...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-05-2013, 02:00 AM
Well the point of the story shouldn't be the zombies, but how people react to the zombies.

Humanists of West Florida
GC CoR
P'cola Skeptic in thePub
GC Freethinker
31-05-2013, 09:05 AM
(31-05-2013 02:00 AM)KeenIdiot Wrote:  Well the point of the story shouldn't be the zombies, but how people react to the zombies.

If you can't buy into the villain/antagonist as something real and visceral, then it's pretty hard to care about anyone's reactions to it, IMO.
31-05-2013, 01:35 PM
Well there will be heartbreak I'm sure as a infectee turns into a zombie.
But the point of movies like this should be something like we see in disaster films. Humans fighting to survive x event and suceeding or failing.
Zombies aren't villains or antagonists, they aren't characters. The characters are the humans who have to deal with them.

GC CoR
P'cola Skeptic in thePub
GC Freethinker
[+] 1 user Likes KeenIdiot's post
31-05-2013, 03:04 PM
Yes, I'm aware that in the zombie genre it's how the humans react to each other amidst the chaos of an undead horde that drives the story. But then again, CGI zombies just aren't as compelling as "real-life" ones. Guess I'm just a bit old-school when it comes to my horror movies.Hobo

I still plan to check out WW Z, as I enjoyed the book, but I'll go in with low expectations with the hope of being pleasantly surprised.Drinking Beverage
02-06-2013, 01:00 AM
So I mentioned my interest in in this story to my husband, and he got me the book. Should I read it before I see the movie, or do you think it will wreck the movie for me? Note: I'm not a purist about most books I read, as long as they don't treat the source material like total trash, I tend to enjoy most recent movies based on books.

"Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something."
~Man in Black
02-06-2013, 03:21 AM
(02-06-2013 01:00 AM)Aroura Wrote:  So I mentioned my interest in in this story to my husband, and he got me the book. Should I read it before I see the movie, or do you think it will wreck the movie for me? Note: I'm not a purist about most books I read, as long as they don't treat the source material like total trash, I tend to enjoy most recent movies based on books.

It may not really matter. As has been mentioned above, there is no real plot to the book in terms of main characters or chronological story. It's a series of interviews done by a UN investigator after the War is over. They are amazing stories, but the format would be difficult to copy on film. So enjoy both. (I'd read the book first). Big Grin

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
02-06-2013, 08:09 AM
I dunno, I Robot colored my view of the Will Smith movie.

GC CoR
P'cola Skeptic in thePub
GC Freethinker