World's Happiest Countries

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-03-2017, 12:50 PM
World's Happiest Countries
Our local newspaper today listed the results of the latest "World Happiness Report". Some of you will be happy to know that the top 10 includes all of Scandinavia plus Iceland (is Iceland part of Scandinavia?), the Netherlands, Switzerland, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand -- all ahead of the US, which finished 14th. At the bottom were a bunch of impoverished African countries plus Syria. Norway was #1.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/20/travel/wor...index.html
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
21-03-2017, 02:15 PM
RE: World's Happiest Countries
I know this answer before you all. Bhutan. They have a gross national happiness. Top ever! Im going there soon. Dang life keeps putting it off. Mountains never reached by human kind- there has to be magic there.
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
21-03-2017, 02:59 PM
(21-03-2017 02:15 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  ... Bhutan. They have a gross national happiness. Top ever! I'm going there soon. Mountains never reached by human kind ... there has to be magic there ...

I was there for a couple weeks in 1999 and found it splendid, in many respects very much the same as it was 700 years ago. The entire country is vertical, the opposite of Kansas, with a mean elevation running 3000 meters or so (it's in the Himalayan foothills) - which makes for spectacular vistas everywhere. Tourist access is rigorously controlled so that you rarely encounter fellow tourists; you're under continuous chaperone (which given the limited infrastructure is not the least confining but crucial). English is mandatory in the elementary schools. A common religious decoration found on many building exterior walls has probably prevented much of Bhutan's architecture getting published in popular magazines and is a light-hearted surprise. We arrived after staying in Bangkok & Kathmandu and found it immediately refreshing and serene compared to the bustle and dust of those two cities and after two weeks very difficult to leave. It was magical to the twentieth power.
21-03-2017, 03:50 PM
Quote:The entire country is vertical,

My knees would hate it.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
21-03-2017, 04:38 PM
I wonder if I was to move to Norway, Norway would go to number 8 and NZ would go up to number 1? Consider

[Image: oscar.png]
21-03-2017, 04:54 PM
(21-03-2017 04:38 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  I wonder if I was to move to Norway, Norway would go to number 8 and NZ would go up to number 1?

This presumes direct effects, which rarely happen. More likely is that Norway's and NZ's ratings would shift imperceptibly but Borneo's, Myannmar's and Liechtenstein's would see significant shifts, just not in predictable directions, due to the ineffable interdependencies of nations shoving things around for no good reasons. The Vatican's rating would remain unmoved - but the Vatican hasn't moved in any context in any direction for centuries.
21-03-2017, 05:24 PM
(21-03-2017 02:59 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  
(21-03-2017 02:15 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  ... Bhutan. They have a gross national happiness. Top ever! I'm going there soon. Mountains never reached by human kind ... there has to be magic there ...

I was there for a couple weeks in 1999 and found it splendid, in many respects very much the same as it was 700 years ago. The entire country is vertical, the opposite of Kansas, with a mean elevation running 3000 meters or so (it's in the Himalayan foothills) - which makes for spectacular vistas everywhere. Tourist access is rigorously controlled so that you rarely encounter fellow tourists; you're under continuous chaperone (which given the limited infrastructure is not the least confining but crucial). English is mandatory in the elementary schools. A common religious decoration found on many building exterior walls has probably prevented much of Bhutan's architecture getting published in popular magazines and is a light-hearted surprise. We arrived after staying in Bangkok & Kathmandu and found it immediately refreshing and serene compared to the bustle and dust of those two cities and after two weeks very difficult to leave. It was magical to the twentieth power.

Oh wow. I've never spoken to anyone who has been there specifically. I have always loved the GNH idea and the vertical aspect. The ominous Himalayas have always been on their side. Heart Cool! You are lucky. Shy
21-03-2017, 05:52 PM
In the capital Thimphu is (in 1999) the country's sole traffic signal. But the modern automatic traffic controller isn't fully trusted so the intersection is manned by a splendidly uniformed traffic director, spotless and regal and crisp white, who directs traffic in a fluid ballet on his podium that must've been choreographed and well practiced - and ignores entirely whatever the traffic signal may be showing.
[+] 4 users Like Airportkid's post
22-03-2017, 12:23 PM
(21-03-2017 05:52 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  In the capital Thimphu is (in 1999) the country's sole traffic signal. But the modern automatic traffic controller isn't fully trusted so the intersection is manned by a splendidly uniformed traffic director, spotless and regal and crisp white, who directs traffic in a fluid ballet on his podium that must've been choreographed and well practiced - and ignores entirely whatever the traffic signal may be showing.

Glorious! Big Grin
22-03-2017, 04:42 PM
You would think the happiest country would be Lapland - as the national dance is a lap dance...

At least I' d think that..

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post