World's Worst Dictators -- TTA Blog

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-09-2010, 12:51 AM
World's Worst Dictators -- TTA Blog
I finally took the time to look into this blog post by our very own TTA, and was really impressed with the simplicity but the effect of it. I'll paste it down below for ease of access (if you'd like, you can find the same post on this site by clicking on the "editor's blog" at the top of the page).

TTA Wrote:Sometimes the headlines and history books make my head ache. I shudder at the idea of so many dictators and powerful leaders who committed monstrous acts against their fellow men and women.

Like Taliban leader and terrorist Abu Musab al-Zarquawi, who once had a woman stoned to death for gathering sticks to make a fire on a cold day.

Or Ugandan President Idi Amin, who sent his soldiers into cities with orders to kill all of the men (including male children) and take for themselves the virgin women.

Pol Pot, Prime Minister of Cambodia in the 1970s, threatened to punish disobedience by making parents eat the flesh of their children.

King Leopold II of Belgium, in the 19th Century, ordered his soldiers not only to kill the opposition, but to cut the hamstrings all the horses, cruelly crippling the animals.

Japanese dictator Emperor Hirohito plundered a local village, decapitated the leaders and had the severed heads delivered to his general as a trophy.

Russian Czar Nicholas II had his general kill 185,000 men who opposed him.

Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein threatened the crime of adultery with stoning, impalement, the execution of relatives, and the burning of their homes.

And here’s the most shocking thing:

The atrocities mentioned above? They weren’t actually perpetrated by the dictators mentioned.

The one responsible for each of these horrible acts was…Jehovah-The God of the Old Testament.

• Stoning for firewood: Numbers 15:32-36
• Kidnapping the virgin women: Numbers 31:17-18
• Threatening to make parents eat the flesh of offspring: Deuteronomy 28:53
• Hamstringing the horses: Joshua 11
• Severed heads delivered: Judges 7:19-25
• 185,000 killed: 2 Kings 10:7
• Stoning, execution and burning for adultery: Hosea 13:16

Now…consider how horrified and appalled you were when you felt men were responsible, and ask yourself why you wouldn’t be horrified and appalled that your God was.

-Ed

The world's worst dictators have indeed done some horrible things--equal or worse to the acts listed above. I'm sure if these things that were actually committed by yhwh were happening in the news, committed by these tyrants, everyone would be outraged--including the Christians. Why does god have a more lenient moral compass than we're expected to live up to, if he's supposedly the epitome of "perfection"? The paradox may never be solved.

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-09-2010, 12:59 AM
RE: World's Worst Dictators -- TTA Blog
The paradox has been solved. People want to believe in god, so they do. People decide what they want their god to be like, so they believe in a god that is exactly like that. Everything that doesn't exactly match their beliefs are disregarded, ignored, attacked and explained away in any way possible. They have made up their minds, they don't want facts, PERIOD!
Find all posts by this user
30-09-2010, 01:49 AM

(30-09-2010 12:59 AM)No J. Wrote:  The paradox has been solved. People want to believe in god, so they do. People decide what they want their god to be like, so they believe in a god that is exactly like that. Everything that doesn't exactly match their beliefs are disregarded, ignored, attacked and explained away in any way possible. They have made up their minds, they don't want facts, PERIOD!
As much as I enjoy Barley's participation in this forum, it seems to me that the preceding describes his position pretty much to a "T". Logic, evidence, factual information .. all dismissed with a wave of the hands. What possible insight could we mere humans contribute to understanding the inscrutable, absolutely moral acts of their favorite deity?
Quote this message in a reply
30-09-2010, 02:01 AM
One of the best books that I ever read is "The Bermuda Triangle Solved." Believers in stuff like that are exactly the same as believers in god, except they don't have thousands of years of violence as their history.
01-10-2010, 04:46 AM
I think it's fine to make up your own little imaginary friend and worship him, but then you can't really call him a Christian.

Well, making up an imaginary friend isn't fine, per se, but it's less dangerous than starting wars over a God and a Bible you simply don't understand. Tongue

[Image: 4hs9p5.png]

"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame gays than let orphans have a family."
-Stephen Colbert
01-10-2010, 08:07 AM
jkshrout Wrote:per se
What does this mean? Big Grin Remove the space between 'per' and 'se'' and you'll get 'ass' in finnish.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
01-10-2010, 02:27 PM
(01-10-2010 08:07 AM)Kikko Wrote:  
What does this mean? Big Grin Remove the space between 'per' and 'se'' and you'll get 'ass' in finnish.

"Per se" is French for "for example"

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula
01-10-2010, 10:11 PM
(01-10-2010 08:07 AM)Kikko Wrote:  

I'm pretty sure in an English context, we've distorted per se as a kind of indicator that the word we used doesn't fit the idea we're talking about best. Smile

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-10-2010, 10:15 PM
(01-10-2010 10:11 PM)LeviTimes Wrote:  I'm pretty sure in an English context, we've distorted per se as a kind of indicator that the word we used doesn't fit the idea we're talking about best. Smile

Not everywhere. Here it still seems to mean 'for example.'
04-10-2010, 01:24 PM
Per se is Latin for "in itself" or"intrinsically", not French for "for example". In French, for example is, "par example (eks-ahh-m-pluh)."

Alors, par example, on dit, "the gold ring wasn't valuable per se, but it meant a lot to me."

Perse = Ass. Love it. First I learn some Norwegian, now I learn some Finnish. Love, love, love it. Hope you Scandinavian Atheists are as psyched as I am about the Thor movie!

For me, the original post proves one thing. Religious or secular, people in power will use that power to maintain their power.

Like Matthew Good once said:
Cuz power is just another one of those things baby
It's pointless if you ain't gonna use it

Out of curiosity, now that I've run my mouth, are those bible quotes about people doing things in God's name or did God him/her/itself throw rocks?

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt