World's oldest flowing water found

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-05-2016, 06:24 AM
World's oldest flowing water found
World's oldest flowing water found.

Water found in a deep, isolated reservoir in Timmins, Ont., has been trapped there for 1.5 billion to 2.64 billion years — since around the time the first multicellular life arose on the planet — Canadian and British scientists say.

The water pouring out of boreholes 2.4 kilometres below the surface in the northern Ontario copper and zinc mine is older than any other free-flowing water ever discovered. It is rich in dissolved gases such as hydrogen and methane that could theoretically provide support for microbial life, the researchers report in a paper published Wednesday online in the journal Nature.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/world-...-1.1387588

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Silly Deity's post
19-05-2016, 06:47 AM
RE: World's oldest flowing water found
Very cool. I can hardly wrap my head around billions of years.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
19-05-2016, 06:51 AM
Think of the beer you could make..........

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
19-05-2016, 07:59 AM
(19-05-2016 06:51 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Think of the beer you could make..........

Big Grin

I was wondering how long it will take for them to fiji water it up with some fancy bottle.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post