World wide war on drugs.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-12-2011, 03:19 AM
World wide war on drugs.
I wanna know all you're opinions on drug use, sale, ban and regulation
some people suggest that if all recreational drugs are legalized and regulated,
it will destroy the black market of drugs and eliminate the related corruption and gang violence. Others might say that society will crumble and people will be reduced to violent mindless assholes looking for another fix.

What's you're take on the matter, given that religion is out of the picture?

"Yeah, good idea. Make them buy your invisible apple. Insist that they do. Market it properly and don't stop until they pay for it." -Malleus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-12-2011, 08:03 AM
RE: World wide war on drugs.
(20-12-2011 03:19 AM)Jackrabbit Wrote:  I wanna know all you're opinions on drug use, sale, ban and regulation
some people suggest that if all recreational drugs are legalized and regulated,
it will destroy the black market of drugs and eliminate the related corruption and gang violence. Others might say that society will crumble and people will be reduced to violent mindless assholes looking for another fix.

What's you're take on the matter, given that religion is out of the picture?

But what, exactly is a recreational drug?
If some substances are legalized, regulated, taxed, and produced by private enterprise, there will be an increase in public revenue.
There will be a consequent drop in crime when the current dealers have no market - the legal stuff will be less risky and cheaper.

However, what about the substances not legalized? Why weren't they?
Are they too dangerous?

This is the state we're in today. Alcohol is legal, controlled, taxed.

What other substances should we add to the list?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-12-2011, 08:10 AM
I would legalise almost, if not all, drugs.

I think that it would put all drug dealers out of business and stop all drug related crime. It would allow police to use the funds they currently use fighting drugs on fighting other crimes. The cost of healthcare would be more than covered by the tax the Government could charge. Finally I think that if an adult wants to risk their life with an illegal substance then that is their prerogative. It shouldn't be the job of the Government to protect people from themselves.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 1 user Likes Hughsie's post
20-12-2011, 09:02 AM
They will never legalise any drugs even though logically its the best thing to do.

Its not in the goverments interest to legalise them.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
20-12-2011, 09:04 AM
(20-12-2011 08:10 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  I would legalise almost, if not all, drugs.

I think that it would put all drug dealers out of business and stop all drug related crime. It would allow police to use the funds they currently use fighting drugs on fighting other crimes. The cost of healthcare would be more than covered by the tax the Government could charge. Finally I think that if an adult wants to risk their life with an illegal substance then that is their prerogative. It shouldn't be the job of the Government to protect people from themselves.

Im still on the fence on this whole issue but
I agree mostly with what you're saying
but shouldn't a goverment's role be to protect society?
and where does government end and personal choice and consequence begin if so?

"Yeah, good idea. Make them buy your invisible apple. Insist that they do. Market it properly and don't stop until they pay for it." -Malleus
20-12-2011, 09:06 AM
(20-12-2011 09:02 AM)bemore Wrote:  They will never legalise any drugs even though logically its the best thing to do.

It's political suicide. Any Government that legalised drugs would lose the next election to an opposition who's campaign would be based around making them illegal again.

It's the big drawback to democracy, if the ruling party has to choose between something that is good for the country and something that is popular then they will always go with the popular thing.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
20-12-2011, 09:29 AM
(20-12-2011 09:06 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(20-12-2011 09:02 AM)bemore Wrote:  They will never legalise any drugs even though logically its the best thing to do.

It's political suicide. Any Government that legalised drugs would lose the next election to an opposition who's campaign would be based around making them illegal again.

It's the big drawback to democracy, if the ruling party has to choose between something that is good for the country and something that is popular then they will always go with the popular thing.

I suppose you could see it that way......im thinking more along the lines of 90% of heroin comes from afghanistan (how many years have our armed forces been there and how many billions have been spent) and yet the price of heroin just keeps on dropping.

Years ago most of the worlds opium came from vietnam (hmmmmmm bit of a pattern emerging here)........I could mention other times, events, wars throughout history but why even bother Rolleyes (people will still think im mad even though they havent done the research)

Ill put it boldy and simply ......why would the goverment want be held accountable for drug money when at the moment they have a free reign on the market???

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
20-12-2011, 11:04 AM
I made the personal choice of not using anything except alcohol (in extreme moderation) and tobacco (mildly addicted but under control).

One reason is that I'm against brain damage. Religion did enough harm to my mind as it is. But my most important reason is that I simply can't trust the pharmacological abilities of stoned drop-outs and wannabe chemists who are willing to cut corners and dodge the law at the same time. Did they get the chemicals right or did they fuck it up and I die poisoned? Did they cut it right or will I overdose? What the fuck did they cut it with? Do they have ANY sanitary standards or will I get sick from some weird contamination with whatever they just happen to store nearby?

Even in the case of pot: what did they use to fertilize? What did they use as parasite repellent? Did they wash it down properly or am I getting quick-poisoned + slow-poisoned + high? Is the water they're using clean or rain water with pigeon shit?

For those reasons I would much rather have drugs legalized and regulated than have them as they are. Besides, when people want something they are going to get it one way or another. I don't particularly like the government criminals better than the conventional criminals, but there seems to be less drama when the governments regulate such things.

So yeah, legalize them for all I care.

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.
20-12-2011, 11:05 AM
I have a pro and a contra argument here:

pro:
State could do it like with alcohol and cigarettes. Put taxes on it so the state actually earn on it. Plus have regulations and rules and age restrictions. That would make the use safer for the user. That would kick the overpriced black market out of business (not the black market as a whole).
I see no problem with doing it with all drugs even the hard ones. Let's say cocaine. It can be deadly but it is illegal - alcohol can be deadly but is legal. Both are VERY addicting and people are dieing from both a lot. I see no difference, at least no big difference.

contra:
It would increase the black market for the drugs that are mixed badly. That are streched but cheap, and lots of people might start using the unregulated stuff only because it is cheaper.

On addiction itself:
When you are addicted it changes you. Inside and outside. You think about your next fix a lot, you get panicy when you don't get your fix, you spend a shitload of cash only on the addiction, when you finally realize that you need to stop you go through a very tough time that many people can't deal with (well / alone)...
And that counts for cigarettes and alcohol as much as for weed, mushrooms, and extacy.

But even with legalization of all the drugs people have a long way to go to actually accept all drugs and users the way smokers and drinkers are "accepted" now.

cheers

edit: PS I used to be a smoker and I stopped out of my own choice. I feel a lot better now Wink

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
20-12-2011, 11:50 AM
(20-12-2011 11:05 AM)Leela Wrote:  I have a pro and a contra argument here:

pro:
State could do it like with alcohol and cigarettes. Put taxes on it so the state actually earn on it. Plus have regulations and rules and age restrictions. That would make the use safer for the user. That would kick the overpriced black market out of business (not the black market as a whole).
I see no problem with doing it with all drugs even the hard ones. Let's say cocaine. It can be deadly but it is illegal - alcohol can be deadly but is legal. Both are VERY addicting and people are dieing from both a lot. I see no difference, at least no big difference.

contra:
It would increase the black market for the drugs that are mixed badly. That are streched but cheap, and lots of people might start using the unregulated stuff only because it is cheaper.

I don't see how you reach that conclusion. Mass produced drugs, shipped and sold legally, not requiring armies of thugs or payoffs to governments should be significantly cheaper.
And everything you buy on the street is already dangerous.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]