Worlds first practical artificial leaf discovered

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-05-2011, 09:42 AM
RE: Worlds first practical artificial leaf discovered
(26-05-2011 03:39 AM)Filox Wrote:  First step to making artificial weed...

Smile

But wouldn't that just mean we would have a bunch of stoned robots walking around? Tongue

Just visiting.

-SR
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-05-2011, 01:52 PM
Screw stoned robots - I want robot prostitutes. Wink

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
26-05-2011, 03:18 PM
Uuh... you sure?

[Image: sex-robot-1.jpg]

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
26-05-2011, 03:22 PM
@theObserver
It's a prototype - hey , you can't get STDs , you can't get it pregnant and it won't bitch if you come home drunk. Also you can cheat on it with the blender. Wink
We're still in the ucanny valley , but we're getting there.

26-05-2011, 09:56 PM
......I just threw up in my mouth.........

Just visiting.

-SR
26-05-2011, 11:01 PM
(26-05-2011 03:22 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  Also you can cheat on it with the blender. Wink
Sounds painful and bloody Big GrinBig Grin

I Wonder if certain body-parts are removable for easy cleaning. (in the dishwasher or so)

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
[+] 1 user Likes Observer's post
27-05-2011, 02:44 AM
Quote:I Wonder if certain body-parts are removable for easy cleaning. (in the dishwasher or so)
I'm guessing you got that from American Dad , right ? Tongue

27-05-2011, 03:33 AM

Cool, ever since I played MegaMan X and saw the half-machine trees, I wanted to have my computer linked to a tree as an energy source!
Quote this message in a reply
27-05-2011, 05:01 AM
(27-05-2011 02:44 AM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  
Quote:I Wonder if certain body-parts are removable for easy cleaning. (in the dishwasher or so)
I'm guessing you got that from American Dad , right ? Tongue
No I've thought it up myself.
But sounds like it was redundant beforehand.. to badSad

Big Grin

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
30-05-2011, 06:48 AM

(23-05-2011 05:07 AM)Norseman Wrote:  Sounds like a cool concept, but I can't quite make sense of it. The article claims that "(the leaf) is made of inexpensive materials that are widely available". But earlier in the article it says that " the device is fashioned from silicon, electronics and catalysts". I thought silicon was a rare material. Isn't the use of silicon in solar panels the reason they are still so expensive? If that is the case, how will this be something that can help 3rd world countries?

Silicon is one of the three most abundant elements on Earth. All quartz, glass and most sands, 1/3 of granite, etc is all silicon dioxide. Granted it is a bot difficult to separate from the oxygen, that has been done for years; silicon is, of course, the basis for solid state electronics. The real question is, what color is the leaf?

Sorry, got distracted.

If the leaf is green, that means it is absorbing only red light, like natural leaves. The red light is used to create sugars (fuel) from CO2 and H2O, and produce O2 as a by-product. However, it sucks as an energy source (though it is marvelously compact), since it wastes the best part of the spectrum - the higher energy green and blue light. Normal silicon cells absorb them too, and are black.

It's not amazing that we could build an "electronic leaf"; it would be amazing if we could build it such that it was self-replicating, used a compact source of resources and produced it's own electricity distribution network by way of producing itself, and automatically renewed itself every year, like a tree does, and doesn't burn out when used at full capacity. Nature created the photosynthetic process through evolution, and that means that it worked "well enough" to make the possessors free from having to scavenge other life for a living. Presumably we can do better by design.
Quote this message in a reply