Worlds first practical artificial leaf discovered

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-05-2011, 04:41 AM
Worlds first practical artificial leaf discovered
ANAHEIM, March 27, 2011 — Scientists today claimed one of the milestones in the drive for sustainable energy — development of the first practical artificial leaf. Speaking here at the 241st National Meeting of the American Chemical Society, they described an advanced solar cell the size of a poker card that mimics the process, called photosynthesis, that green plants use to convert sunlight and water into energy.

“A practical artificial leaf has been one of the Holy Grails of science for decades,” said Daniel Nocera, Ph.D., who led the research team. “We believe we have done it. The artificial leaf shows particular promise as an inexpensive source of electricity for homes of the poor in developing countries. Our goal is to make each home its own power station,” he said. “One can envision villages in India and Africa not long from now purchasing an affordable basic power system based on this technology.”

Full Article

Awesome, this is potentially world changing but it also wouldn't be the first time I hear about a breakthrough like this and never hear about it again due to some unforeseen technological obstacle.. i.e. fuel cell technology...

So now splitting water is cheap and efficient. How about hydrogen storage and how to utilize that energy? Fuel cells are good but still require rare metals for catalysts which aren't very stable.

I hope this stuff is sorted out sooner rather than later. I'll be first to tell the electricity provider to get fucked and convert the house to hydrogen/fuel-cell tech!

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-05-2011, 05:07 AM
RE: Worlds first practical artificial leaf discovered
Sounds like a cool concept, but I can't quite make sense of it. The article claims that "(the leaf) is made of inexpensive materials that are widely available". But earlier in the article it says that " the device is fashioned from silicon, electronics and catalysts". I thought silicon was a rare material. Isn't the use of silicon in solar panels the reason they are still so expensive? If that is the case, how will this be something that can help 3rd world countries?

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
23-05-2011, 11:51 AM
I think this is great news. We're finally moving forward with the alternative energy technologies. I hope that these get here before it's too late.

(23-05-2011 05:07 AM)Norseman Wrote:  Sounds like a cool concept, but I can't quite make sense of it. The article claims that "(the leaf) is made of inexpensive materials that are widely available". But earlier in the article it says that " the device is fashioned from silicon, electronics and catalysts". I thought silicon was a rare material. Isn't the use of silicon in solar panels the reason they are still so expensive? If that is the case, how will this be something that can help 3rd world countries?

From wiki :
"Silicon (play /ˈsɪlɪkən/ sil-ə-kən or /ˈsɪlɪkɒn/ sil-ə-kon; Latin: silicium) is the most common metalloid."

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
23-05-2011, 11:55 AM
One of the many reasons why science is just plain awesome. Robot plants!

Why won't God heal amputees?
23-05-2011, 12:12 PM

That's awesome. There's hope after all. Maybe when we kill off all of our own natural sources of oxygen, we'll have to rely on pure artificial leaves.
Quote this message in a reply
23-05-2011, 02:21 PM
The question is, will this be classified as a new species?

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
23-05-2011, 02:21 PM
Silicon is just "Sahara-sand" actually.

The future looks good people!

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
25-05-2011, 03:38 AM

Very cool.
Quote this message in a reply
25-05-2011, 12:27 PM
If you read the article Deamonowner you'll notice that we are not talking about a biological organism here. its just a piece of chemical machinery that does the same job as a leaf.

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
26-05-2011, 03:39 AM
First step to making artificial weed...

Smile

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Artificial vaginas dancefortwo 9 190 15-06-2014 03:09 AM
Last Post: DLJ
  How far can we go with artificial selection? Metazoa Zeke 22 293 09-04-2014 03:02 PM
Last Post: Hobbitgirl
  Chariklo- the newly discovered asteroid with rings Bows and Arrows 1 79 26-03-2014 02:30 PM
Last Post: Marozz
  Cool-o humungo volcano discovered Bucky Ball 4 336 13-09-2013 01:11 PM
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  Newly discovered mammal ... Chas 2 324 16-08-2013 09:51 AM
Last Post: GirlyMan
  A Cosmic Practical Joke Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver 4 339 11-05-2013 09:41 PM
Last Post: Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver
Lightbulb Artificial Intelligence vs. Bioengineered Animals PoolBoyG 3 409 11-04-2013 02:28 AM
Last Post: Heywood Jahblome