Worrying About a Trump Victory? Don't.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
05-08-2016, 07:31 PM
RE: Worrying About a Trump Victory? Don't.
(05-08-2016 06:27 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(05-08-2016 06:20 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  If you could list the mountain of lies that Donald Trump has spewed and compare them to Clinton's lies you'd be looking at the difference between Mt. Everest and a baseball pitcher's mound. As a matter of fact, the difference between Trumps outlandish lies and most garden variety politicians is enormous. Trump lies are equal to his maniacal, bombastic, ego driven, unstable personality, so they're "yuge, I tell you...YUGE!"
What's your point again? Two wrongs don't make a right. I think both candidates are shitty, but many people seem to be in denial about that when it comes to Clinton.

All politicians lie but all politicians aren't mentally unstable the way Trump is. He is a danger to the entire world.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-08-2016, 09:04 PM
(05-08-2016 06:38 PM)Dom Wrote:  Clinton isn't going to cause us harm. She may have lied, but she is cool, collected and stable. Her proposed policies are fine, they are neither harmful nor will they throw us back by a century, like a lot of the repubs would. And she won't put god back in the school rooms to brainwash thousands of unwanted kids.

Define "us". If by "us", you mean middle and working class Americans, I completely disagree that she won't cause us harm and that her policies are fine. The worst part of the Trump campaign is it's taken all the focus of the very harmful policies of Hillary Clinton.

The stone cold reality is that Clinton favors policies that have proven to be very harmful to average Americans. When Trump talks about trade deals and how they are helping a very small group of CEOs and industrialists, he is not wrong. Unfortunately, for every lucid point he actually does manage to make, he counters it with whatever batshit buzzing that is floating around his head. He's an unmitigated disaster as both a candidate and a human being, but that doesn't mean his basic political observations about Clinton and the Democrats and Republicans are wrong. They aren't (and that observation is not intended to be an endorsement of his proposed solutions).

The worst part of Trump's campaign is not all the batshit craziness he's espousing, but how his ridiculous behavior has allowed the political class in this country to further alienate Americans who already feel increasingly marginalized. Over the past 30 years our government, and both parties, have taken overt steps to create a global market for labor where American (and many European) countries can skirt local laws on child labor, worker safety, wage minimums and all the things the labor movement spent over a century fighting for and now have 12 year olds making clothes and TVs and sneakers and iPads for $0.12 a day. It was not that long ago in the US that a man (or woman) with a high school education could get a job that paid a living wage where they could buy a house, raise a family, take a vacation, and even pay for college if their kids wanted more. Now those some people can flip burgers and are begging for enough money in salary to get them off fucking food stamps. And, are told they are "parasites" and "want free stuff" for their efforts. They don't want free stuff. They want to be able to have what past generations had without having to work 18 hours a day. A 30 year old father or mother flipping burgers at Wendy's isn't doing it because they are too proud to do menial labor. That's the fucking essence of menial labor. And, it doesn't matter if we pay them $15/hour because those jobs are going away too thanks to the wonders of automation.

This situation is not an accident. It didn't just happen. We didn't all wake up one day and say "what the fuck? It was all good yesterday". This is the result of years of deliberate policy choices by both Republicans and Democrats to push for policies that increased the profits of corporations under the guise of it's good for all of us. But, it has not been good for all of us. It's been good for just a handful of us. And, it's no longer just blue collar jobs. I see accounting, sourcing, and even legal jobs going to low cost economies.

If you think Hillary Clinton and her policies are somehow not endorsing this status quo, then you have simply not been paying attention. Her policies are extremely harmful. And, the sad reality is that there is probably no one else the Republicans could have trotted out that was going to differ from her materially on this. There were total of two people who were actually talking about these issues and the impacts they are having on the American public. One of them wrote an OpEd in the LA Times today just about begging his supporters to support her. The other is a small handed, lecherous scumbag who suffers from a narcissistic personality disorder and the attention span of a 4 year old who's had 3 Mountain Dews and 2 bags of raw cane sugar. It's not a good situation. But, I flatly reject the statement - and this is not directed at Dom, I just happened to pick her post to respond to - that she is not "harmful". She, and her ilk, are very harmful. If you want to make the argument that she is not MORE harmful than any other candidate the press and the 2 parties would both agree to throw out, that's probably true. But, that's like saying brain cancer isn't more harmful than lung cancer.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 5 users Like BnW's post
05-08-2016, 09:07 PM
Trump’s pre-emptive strike at the legitimacy of November’s election is fucking dangerous.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/05/opinio...pe=article

"But this year, facing a likely trouncing in November, Trump has signaled that he will try to bring down our democracy with him. His overlooked comment — “I’m afraid the election is going to be rigged” — is the opening move in a scheme to delegitimize the outcome.

Because Trump is consistently barbaric and such a prolific liar, it’s hard to sustain outrage over any one of his serial scandals. But his pre-emptive attack on the electoral process is very troubling.”

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
05-08-2016, 09:13 PM
(05-08-2016 11:52 AM)Vosur Wrote:  Can you believe it? This guy had a legitimate shot at holding one of the most powerful offices in the world and he blew it because he couldn't shut the fuck up for two seconds. Clinton is now ahead of him even in red states like Georgia.

We told you from the get-go that the guy was fucked up - you just wouldn't listen. Facepalm

Quote:I'd be happy about this if his opponent wasn't someone who is also terrible, albeit in entirely different ways.

The American voter has been presented with a probable lose-lose choice. Just losing different things.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-08-2016, 09:16 PM
(05-08-2016 12:45 PM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  
(05-08-2016 12:24 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Is someone paying you to make each post stupider and more offensive than the one before it?

Or is your real name Donald Trump? Because he's also pretty good at lowering the bar every time he opens his mouth.

Ever since Bush Jr, we have had the patriot act which has taken away much of our rights to any privacy. Obama extended it. You are telling me Clinton won't make it worse?

Obama continued it, I don't see that he extended it.

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
05-08-2016, 09:19 PM
(05-08-2016 01:32 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(05-08-2016 01:08 PM)Lucipurr Wrote:  Did he say that? But he's correct, male terrorists have worn that tent on their heads to evade capture before.

I find the logic tenuous to say the least.

1. The vast majority of Muslims are not terrorists.

2. The vast majority of terrorists are men.

3. The vast majority of Muslims who cover their faces are women.

Therefore, Muslim terrorists who cover their faces to avoid facial recognition software have got to be an extremely small minority -- and would be calling attention to themselves. I'm not going to waste my time and energy worrying about them.

And what does any of that have to do with Hillary Clinton?

It's not primarily about Muslim women - it's about people disguising themselves as Muslim women.

[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
05-08-2016, 09:21 PM
(05-08-2016 09:04 PM)BnW Wrote:  
(05-08-2016 06:38 PM)Dom Wrote:  Clinton isn't going to cause us harm. She may have lied, but she is cool, collected and stable. Her proposed policies are fine, they are neither harmful nor will they throw us back by a century, like a lot of the repubs would. And she won't put god back in the school rooms to brainwash thousands of unwanted kids.

Define "us". If by "us", you mean middle and working class Americans, I completely disagree that she won't cause us harm and that her policies are fine. The worst part of the Trump campaign is it's taken all the focus of the very harmful policies of Hillary Clinton.

The stone cold reality is that Clinton favors policies that have proven to be very harmful to average Americans. When Trump talks about trade deals and how they are helping a very small group of CEOs and industrialists, he is not wrong. Unfortunately, for every lucid point he actually does manage to make, he counters it with whatever batshit buzzing that is floating around his head. He's an unmitigated disaster as both a candidate and a human being, but that doesn't mean his basic political observations about Clinton and the Democrats and Republicans are wrong. They aren't (and that observation is not intended to be an endorsement of his proposed solutions).

The worst part of Trump's campaign is not all the batshit craziness he's espousing, but how his ridiculous behavior has allowed the political class in this country to further alienate Americans who already feel increasingly marginalized. Over the past 30 years our government, and both parties, have taken overt steps to create a global market for labor where American (and many European) countries can skirt local laws on child labor, worker safety, wage minimums and all the things the labor movement spent over a century fighting for and now have 12 year olds making clothes and TVs and sneakers and iPads for $0.12 a day. It was not that long ago in the US that a man (or woman) with a high school education could get a job that paid a living wage where they could buy a house, raise a family, take a vacation, and even pay for college if their kids wanted more. Now those some people can flip burgers and are begging for enough money in salary to get them off fucking food stamps. And, are told they are "parasites" and "want free stuff" for their efforts. They don't want free stuff. They want to be able to have what past generations had without having to work 18 hours a day. A 30 year old father or mother flipping burgers at Wendy's isn't doing it because they are too proud to do menial labor. That's the fucking essence of menial labor. And, it doesn't matter if we pay them $15/hour because those jobs are going away too thanks to the wonders of automation.

This situation is not an accident. It didn't just happen. We didn't all wake up one day and say "what the fuck? It was all good yesterday". This is the result of years of deliberate policy choices by both Republicans and Democrats to push for policies that increased the profits of corporations under the guise of it's good for all of us. But, it has not been good for all of us. It's been good for just a handful of us. And, it's no longer just blue collar jobs. I see accounting, sourcing, and even legal jobs going to low cost economies.

If you think Hillary Clinton and her policies are somehow not endorsing this status quo, then you have simply not been paying attention. Her policies are extremely harmful. And, the sad reality is that there is probably no one else the Republicans could have trotted out that was going to differ from her materially on this. There were total of two people who were actually talking about these issues and the impacts they are having on the American public. One of them wrote an OpEd in the LA Times today just about begging his supporters to support her. The other is a small handed, lecherous scumbag who suffers from a narcissistic personality disorder and the attention span of a 4 year old who's had 3 Mountain Dews and 2 bags of raw cane sugar. It's not a good situation. But, I flatly reject the statement - and this is not directed at Dom, I just happened to pick her post to respond to - that she is not "harmful". She, and her ilk, are very harmful. If you want to make the argument that she is not MORE harmful than any other candidate the press and the 2 parties would both agree to throw out, that's probably true. But, that's like saying brain cancer isn't more harmful than lung cancer.
To add to that, I'm not just worried about the harm that she'll do to regular Americans by advocating for trade deals like the TPP, I'm also worried about the damage her hawkish foreign policy will cause in the Middle East and by extension, in Europe (because we are the ones who have to take in the refugees from the wars the US starts over there). Trump and Clinton both have the potential to fuck up the rest of the world big time, such is the power of a US president who is backed by Congress.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
05-08-2016, 09:32 PM
That's a fair point. There is an argument to be made that Trump is less dangerous because neither party is ever going to support anything trump wants to do. Not so with her.

Hard to say. He's so unstable it's just tough to predict.

05-08-2016, 09:42 PM
(05-08-2016 09:32 PM)BnW Wrote:  That's a fair point. There is an argument to be made that Trump is less dangerous because neither party is ever going to support anything trump wants to do. Not so with her.

Except he seems to think the US Nuclear Arsenal is best used as a first response.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
05-08-2016, 09:49 PM
(05-08-2016 09:42 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(05-08-2016 09:32 PM)BnW Wrote:  That's a fair point. There is an argument to be made that Trump is less dangerous because neither party is ever going to support anything trump wants to do. Not so with her.

Except he seems to think the US Nuclear Arsenal is best used as a first response.

That's actually consistent with U.S. policy for as long as we've had nuclear weapons.

Look, I'm not advocating for Trump. He's a loon. I'm just saying that Hillary is not saving us.