Worrying About a Trump Victory? Don't.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
16-08-2016, 11:40 AM
RE: Worrying About a Trump Victory? Don't.
(16-08-2016 11:28 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  What, only whites can be bigots?
Yeah. Haven't you heard that minorities can never be racist because racism equals prejudice plus power? Consider

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-08-2016, 11:58 AM
(16-08-2016 11:40 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(16-08-2016 11:28 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  What, only whites can be bigots?
Yeah. Haven't you heard that minorities can never be racist because racism equals prejudice plus power? Consider

I haven't . I can't find the link, but a female black owned company in Maryland comes to mind. They either mistreated the white employees or refused to hire them outright.

Jeremy Lin took longer landing a spot on an NBA team almost certainly because he wasn't black. You can be sure some of the few black executives(and white ones) looked past him because of his race. He went undrafted.

On the other hand, your garden variety bigot in no position to deny anyone their lunch is little more than just that.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 1 user Likes tomilay's post
16-08-2016, 12:25 PM
(16-08-2016 11:58 AM)tomilay Wrote:  I haven't . I can't find the link, but a female black owned company in Maryland comes to mind. They either mistreated the white employees or refused to hire them outright.

Jeremy Lin took longer landing a spot on an NBA team almost certainly because he wasn't black. You can be sure some of the few black executives(and white ones) looked past him because of his race. He went undrafted.

On the other hand, your garden variety bigot in no position to deny anyone their lunch is little more than just that.
I was making fun of the SJWs who invented that nonsensical definition. Obviously anyone can be racist. Tongue

[+] 3 users Like Vosur's post
16-08-2016, 01:22 PM
(16-08-2016 12:25 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(16-08-2016 11:58 AM)tomilay Wrote:  I haven't . I can't find the link, but a female black owned company in Maryland comes to mind. They either mistreated the white employees or refused to hire them outright.

I was making fun of the SJWs who invented that nonsensical definition. Obviously anyone can be racist. Tongue

Even cats?

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
16-08-2016, 01:43 PM
(16-08-2016 01:22 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  
(16-08-2016 12:25 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Obviously anyone can be racist.

Even cats?

[Image: 11819920.jpg]
—Racing Cat—

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 3 users Like SYZ's post
16-08-2016, 05:12 PM
The number of people who think that Clinton is honest and trustworthy has dropped down to 11% (a mere one percent of Republicans and two percent of Independents hold this view) according to a new poll from NBC. Trump isn't doing much better with only 16% who think that he's honest and trustworthy (one percent of Democrats and seven percent of Independents agree). How much cognitive dissonance does the American voter base have to have for these two candidates to be the most popular ones?

[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
16-08-2016, 05:29 PM
(16-08-2016 05:12 PM)Vosur Wrote:  The number of people who think that Clinton is honest and trustworthy has dropped down to 11% (a mere one percent of Republicans and two percent of Independents hold this view) according to a new poll from NBC. Trump isn't doing much better with only 16% who think that he's honest and trustworthy (one percent of Democrats and seven percent of Independents agree). How much cognitive dissonance does the American voter base have to have for these two candidates to be the most popular ones?

Consistency is overrated. Now completeness, that's a different matter.

#sigh
16-08-2016, 08:20 PM
(16-08-2016 05:12 PM)Vosur Wrote:  How much cognitive dissonance does the American voter base have to have for these two candidates to be the most popular ones?

I think this says more about our system than the people who live her. The presidency has a lot of barriers to entry. It takes a lot of money and you need to have a network to continue to raise money. The things you need to do in order to even have a realistic possibility of running by their nature disqualify most qualified people. You tend to end up with deeply flawed narcissists with sociopathic tendencies. I think a lot of successful politicians, and business people, fit that mold. Some are better than others of hiding it.

You do get the random outlier, too. I think Sanders is a genuine exception to the rule. But, he is going to fade back into obscurity now. He's too old to really run again.

It's a shame we have these two vile people to choose from. I don't know anyone who is happy with these choices. It is what it is, but it's incorrect to say these were "popular" choices. They are not (maybe trump is, but I think that was more a rejection than anything).

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 4 users Like BnW's post
16-08-2016, 09:07 PM
(16-08-2016 05:12 PM)Vosur Wrote:  The number of people who think that Clinton is honest and trustworthy has dropped down to 11% (a mere one percent of Republicans and two percent of Independents hold this view) according to a new poll from NBC. Trump isn't doing much better with only 16% who think that he's honest and trustworthy (one percent of Democrats and seven percent of Independents agree). How much cognitive dissonance does the American voter base have to have for these two candidates to be the most popular ones?

Who said they were the most popular ones? They're just the two that got in.

And it doesn't require any cognitive dissonance at all. In Canada we begin with the assumption that all the politicians are liars. That's their job after all. We call them "statesmen" and "diplomats" but those are just really impressive words for 'some guy who's going to go and lie to your liars on my behalf'. I want the best of the deal so I want my liar to be better than your liar. With that out of the way all you need do is determine which liar is best and which will lie to you the least.

Hillary's problem is a quarter century of Republican witch hunts ruining her credibility.

Trump's problem is just that he's a shitty liar.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 4 users Like Paleophyte's post
17-08-2016, 05:44 AM
(16-08-2016 09:07 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  

Who said they were the most popular ones? They're just the two that got in.

And it doesn't require any cognitive dissonance at all. In Canada we begin with the assumption that all the politicians are liars. That's their job after all. We call them "statesmen" and "diplomats" but those are just really impressive words for 'some guy who's going to go and lie to your liars on my behalf'. I want the best of the deal so I want my liar to be better than your liar. With that out of the way all you need do is determine which liar is best and which will lie to you the least.

Hillary's problem is a quarter century of Republican witch hunts ruining her credibility.

Trump's problem is just that he's a shitty liar.

That is if you assume that they will lie in your favor. Ours lie to us, against us, and in favor of countries that should have been bombed back to the stone age a long time ago.