Worrying About a Trump Victory? Don't.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
12-10-2016, 01:54 PM
RE: Worrying About a Trump Victory? Don't.
Grasshopper wrote:
Quote:Politics is the art of compromise...

Hmm, seems to me that diplomacy and statesmanship are the arts of compromise, politics is the art of pulling the flanker, getting one over on the opposition, shady, semi-legal deals in private, telling almost lies to your constituents, insincerity . . .

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Gloucester's post
12-10-2016, 02:00 PM
(12-10-2016 11:36 AM)Vosur Wrote:  I think the ideal outcome, given the current choices, would be for Clinton to get elected and then either stonewalled by a Republican Congress for 4/8 years, or, even better, for her to get impeached so that her much more palpable VP can take over.

Did you mean 'palatable'? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
12-10-2016, 02:02 PM
(12-10-2016 01:45 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(12-10-2016 01:16 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  In other words, you're taking their veracity on faith.
That's not what I said, but you're free to believe whatever you want.

(12-10-2016 01:27 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Seriously?

The only ones who get hurt when politians of both aisles stonewall each other regardless of issue just to make a point is...EVERYONE!

This isn't kindergarten when you and your friends mope in a corner and not talk to the new kids. Representatives are elected to do the nation's business, ignoring their responsibilities is utter bullshit. This kind of prepubescent thinking is why the US hasn't made bigger strides in solving important issues. Recalcitrant children in adult positions have no business governing.
Well, there sure as hell can be no compromise between the two ruling parties when their policies are on the extreme ends of the political spectrum respectively. Take, for instance, immigration. Both Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton promised not to deport illegal immigrants who didn't commit any crimes other than immigrating to the country illegally and to find a way for them to get a path to citizenship. Meanwhile the Republican candidates, most notably Ted Cruz and Donald Trump, promised to build a border wall between the US and Mexico and send virtually all illegal immigrants back to their home countries. Wouldn't you want the Democrats to stonewall Trump if, God forbid, he ever became president? That's how I feel about Clinton and her hawkish foreign policy.

Well, yes, for a genuinely stupid idea like that. The problem is that in recent years they have taken to stonewalling perfectly sensible things just because they were proposed by the other party (or the other party supports said proposal). Obama tried to appoint a relatively moderate Supreme Court justice, and the Republican Congress flat-out refused to even consider it. This is just as bad as the whiny brat Wisconsin Democrats that I complained about in my other post.

I actually think it's dangerous to have one party simultaneously controlling all branches of government, because you don't get the checks and balances that are theoretically built in. So if Clinton wins the White House, I think it's a good thing (in theory, at least) to have at least one house of Congress controlled by the Republicans. But damn! They need to learn how to work together to get things done. They can't just stonewall each other forever.
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
12-10-2016, 02:32 PM
(12-10-2016 02:00 PM)Chas Wrote:  Did you mean 'palatable'? Consider
Yeah. Good catch. Thumbsup

(12-10-2016 02:02 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Well, yes, for a genuinely stupid idea like that. The problem is that in recent years they have taken to stonewalling perfectly sensible things just because they were proposed by the other party (or the other party supports said proposal). Obama tried to appoint a relatively moderate Supreme Court justice, and the Republican Congress flat-out refused to even consider it. This is just as bad as the whiny brat Wisconsin Democrats that I complained about in my other post.
The Supreme Court picks are one of the reasons why I said it would probably be best if Clinton got impeached. The Republicans hate Hillary even more than they hate Obama so I wouldn't be surprised if they refused to appoint any of her choices for the entirety of her presidency. Not based on the merits of the appointees, mind you, but simply based on who she is like they did with Obama. You'd think the Republicans would not be willing to accept the political fallout from a decision like that, but they don't seem to care about the effects of their protest with a presidential election, of all things, right around the corner. This is pure speculation, but I think the Republicans would find Tim Kaine to be much more palatable (Thanks, Chas Tongue) as well.

(12-10-2016 02:02 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I actually think it's dangerous to have one party simultaneously controlling all branches of government, because you don't get the checks and balances that are theoretically built in. So if Clinton wins the White House, I think it's a good thing (in theory, at least) to have at least one house of Congress controlled by the Republicans. But damn! They need to learn how to work together to get things done. They can't just stonewall each other forever.
Yeah, it would certainly benefit the American people if the two parties worked together, but I don't see it happening anytime soon. Politics have become so 'radicalized' in the US that you've got people talking about imprisoning the other party's candidate and using their 2nd amendment rights to keep the other party in check. You've got people rioting and beating each other up in the streets. It would seem that the political climate does not favor compromise this election cycle.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
12-10-2016, 02:34 PM
(12-10-2016 02:00 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(12-10-2016 11:36 AM)Vosur Wrote:  I think the ideal outcome, given the current choices, would be for Clinton to get elected and then either stonewalled by a Republican Congress for 4/8 years, or, even better, for her to get impeached so that her much more palpable VP can take over.

Did you mean 'palatable'? Consider

I dunno Chas, I'd touch the guy but I would not want to eat him.
[+] 4 users Like skyking's post
12-10-2016, 02:42 PM
(12-10-2016 02:34 PM)skyking Wrote:  
(12-10-2016 02:00 PM)Chas Wrote:  Did you mean 'palatable'? Consider

I dunno Chas, I'd touch the guy but I would not want to eat him.

Chacun à son goût. Big Grin

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
12-10-2016, 02:50 PM
(12-10-2016 02:42 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(12-10-2016 02:34 PM)skyking Wrote:  I dunno Chas, I'd touch the guy but I would not want to eat him.

Chacun à son goût. Big Grin

Es la verdad Big Grin
Antes he dicho más o menos lo mismo, dependiendo de los condimentos......
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...pid1072907
12-10-2016, 03:09 PM
(12-10-2016 01:27 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  

Seriously?

The only ones who get hurt when politians of both aisles stonewall each other regardless of issue just to make a point is...EVERYONE!

This isn't kindergarten when you and your friends mope in a corner and not talk to the new kids. Representatives are elected to do the nation's business, ignoring their responsibilities is utter bullshit. This kind of prepubescent thinking is why the US hasn't made bigger strides in solving important issues. Recalcitrant children in adult positions have no business governing.

Exactly. The refusal to compromise is killing my country, slowly, but surely.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
12-10-2016, 03:14 PM
(12-10-2016 01:45 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(12-10-2016 01:16 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  In other words, you're taking their veracity on faith.
That's not what I said, but you're free to believe whatever you want.

You're lending WL credence based on what, then? Be specific.

How do you know the emails etc aren't doctored?

As matters stand there's no evidence either way, and that means most folks -- and seemingly that includes you -- are pushing for the position which supports their own.

I'm agnostic on it, I don't know if they're doctored or not. But if you wish to assert that they're not, you'll need to demonstrate that.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
12-10-2016, 03:14 PM
(12-10-2016 11:24 AM)Vosur Wrote:  We should be outraged and marching in the streets until it changes.

Forget that! Nobody is going to force me into a bottleneck.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.