Worrying About a Trump Victory? Don't.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
25-10-2016, 03:02 PM
RE: Worrying About a Trump Victory? Don't.
(25-10-2016 09:04 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(25-10-2016 08:50 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  IF enough people were fed up enough with the two major-party candidates, we could end up with (1) a third-party candidate actually winning the election, or (2) nobody getting the required number of electoral votes, which allows the House of Representatives to decide between the top three vote-getters. Some people think that Bernie Sanders still has a chance via this route.

Realistically, though, I think most people in the US will not vote for a 3rd-party candidate for any reason, so either Clinton or Trump is going to win. #2 above is more likely than #1, but neither seems very likely until a whole bunch of people change their way of thinking. Therefore, I'm voting for "anyone but Trump" (i.e., I'm voting for Clinton).

Think I might go with the Mormon ex-CIA operative. Don't agree with him on much but at least he's a decent enough fella. If anything this election cycle has made me realize it's how much I value common decency in POTUS. (But it has no place on forums.)

I'll not vote for a Mormon. I value rationality in an elected official. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
25-10-2016, 03:05 PM
Um, politician - rational...

Rational - politician...

No, you got me on that one, sorry.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Find all posts by this user
25-10-2016, 03:07 PM
(25-10-2016 03:02 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(25-10-2016 09:04 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Think I might go with the Mormon ex-CIA operative. Don't agree with him on much but at least he's a decent enough fella. If anything this election cycle has made me realize it's how much I value common decency in POTUS. (But it has no place on forums.)

I'll not vote for a Mormon. I value rationality in an elected official. Drinking Beverage

A lot of people can partition their brain so that the rational part is separate from the religious part and the religious part doesn't interfere with their duties. Those kinda religious people are fine as elected officials IMO. Although they're still nut jobs they're capable nut-jobs.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
25-10-2016, 03:24 PM
(25-10-2016 03:02 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(25-10-2016 09:04 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Think I might go with the Mormon ex-CIA operative. Don't agree with him on much but at least he's a decent enough fella. If anything this election cycle has made me realize it's how much I value common decency in POTUS. (But it has no place on forums.)

Ex CIA-operative trumps Mormonism. In fact, I've long thought that the Mormon Church was just a front for the CIA.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
25-10-2016, 03:39 PM
(25-10-2016 03:07 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(25-10-2016 03:02 PM)Chas Wrote:  I'll not vote for a Mormon. I value rationality in an elected official. Drinking Beverage

A lot of people can partition their brain so that the rational part is separate from the religious part and the religious part doesn't interfere with their duties. Those kinda religious people are fine as elected officials IMO. Although they're still nut jobs they're capable nut-jobs.

I think that partitioning is itself problematic. What other things can they partition off?

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
25-10-2016, 03:42 PM
(25-10-2016 03:24 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(25-10-2016 03:02 PM)Chas Wrote:  I'll not vote for a Mormon. I value rationality in an elected official. Drinking Beverage

Ex CIA-operative trumps Mormonism. In fact, I've long thought that the Mormon Church was just a front for the CIA.

Or is the CIA a front for Mormonism? Consider

25-10-2016, 04:25 PM
(25-10-2016 03:42 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(25-10-2016 03:24 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Ex CIA-operative trumps Mormonism. In fact, I've long thought that the Mormon Church was just a front for the CIA.

Or is the CIA a front for Mormonism? Consider

Well it does stand for central insanity agency Tongue
25-10-2016, 05:02 PM
(25-10-2016 12:53 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
(24-10-2016 06:00 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  I know full well many of you see Hillary as the only legitimate alternative to a megalomaniacal racist and sexist, and think anyone willing to say there is an option worse than that must be stupid, or naive, or misguided, or a racist sexist.

But isnt factually HRC the only alternative? I am no expert in the american political system, or how elections are done, but what would be a plausible, factual option to you to vote on November 8th (?) if you want to avoid a "president Trump"?

This is not tongue in cheek or so, im fucking honerst about it.

There are plenty of options, and several parties you could vote for. E.g., Libertarian Party, Green Party, Constitution Party, etc. Any of them could win if people voted for them. That's factual, and only "implausible" as long as people believe it is. Self-fulfilling prophecy. The 12th Amendment even allows for the possibility of a President that receives a single electoral vote, if the candidate receiving the most votes does not achieve an overall majority. It's not likely, but it is plausible.

[+] 2 users Like Dark Light's post
25-10-2016, 05:26 PM
(24-10-2016 08:32 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(24-10-2016 06:00 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  She’s bought and paid for by people that see us all as stupid serfs to be conquered and plundered.

I read quite a few of the wikileak transcripts when she was addressing the corporations and she was consistent with her message, you have to bring everyone along or it doesn’t work.

I think you need to take the time to read them because I think you are going off of feels and not evidence.

No, I've read plenty. Perhaps more than you. I think you are specifically referring to the leak about her private speeches, which is only tiny part of the leaks. But, even if you are only going off that, she admitted to having opinions available to the "public" and then she had "private" opinions, implying she say whatever she thinks will get her elected, even if it means bald faced lying. If that isn't enough to concern you, among the 10's of thousands of other emails reveal, or otherwise hint at media collusion with the likes of CNN, Google, NY Times, etc. She has been openly lying about her role in going after Wall Street, despite being funded by the largest, and most hated companies on Wall Street, including the likes of Goldman Sachs, Leiman Brothers, Morgan Stanley, etc. There is also the leaks revealing likely Pay to Play via the Clinton Foundation with the likes of Saudis involved with pretty unscrupulous Saudi "charities" responsible for all sorts of terrible things, and illegal. Of course the leaks themselves would not be possible without Hillary open breaking the law, and receiving absolutely no punishment as she has proven to be above the law. Leaks outside of hers have revealed the DNC selected her as the candidate and then colluded to make it happen in spite of strong support for Sanders. I could really go on, but I really shouldn't need to. I could understand people voting for her to vote "against" Trump, though I obviously wouldn't, but I don't understand anyone who thinks she is a good candidate.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
25-10-2016, 05:47 PM
(25-10-2016 05:26 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(24-10-2016 08:32 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I read quite a few of the wikileak transcripts when she was addressing the corporations and she was consistent with her message, you have to bring everyone along or it doesn’t work.

I think you need to take the time to read them because I think you are going off of feels and not evidence.

No, I've read plenty. Perhaps more than you. I think you are specifically referring to the leak about her private speeches, which is only tiny part of the leaks. But, even if you are only going off that, she admitted to having opinions available to the "public" and then she had "private" opinions, implying she say whatever she thinks will get her elected, even if it means bald faced lying. If that isn't enough to concern you, among the 10's of thousands of other emails reveal, or otherwise hint at media collusion with the likes of CNN, Google, NY Times, etc. She has been openly lying about her role in going after Wall Street, despite being funded by the largest, and most hated companies on Wall Street, including the likes of Goldman Sachs, Leiman Brothers, Morgan Stanley, etc. There is also the leaks revealing likely Pay to Play via the Clinton Foundation with the likes of Saudis involved with pretty unscrupulous Saudi "charities" responsible for all sorts of terrible things, and illegal. Of course the leaks themselves would not be possible without Hillary open breaking the law, and receiving absolutely no punishment as she has proven to be above the law. Leaks outside of hers have revealed the DNC selected her as the candidate and then colluded to make it happen in spite of strong support for Sanders. I could really go on, but I really shouldn't need to. I could understand people voting for her to vote "against" Trump, though I obviously wouldn't, but I don't understand anyone who thinks she is a good candidate.

I think she is a good candidate. She knows her stuff, her husband was the only one who significantly reduced the national debt while still supporting full "entitlements" (which to me just means that all the freaking money I paid to the government for my retirement will at least pay me some back.) I don't think she will start any new wars.

Of course she is bought and paid for - every freaking politician is. (That's why people love Sanders and Trump). Even freaking town majors are bought and paid for in many cases.
You aren't going to stop this by choosing someone less qualified. There needs to be change - and it needs to start with lobbying and election finance. I think everyone wants that.

Vilifying her for being a politician is stupid. If you want change, change the system. Electing an incompetent prez isn't going to do anyone any good.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 5 users Like Dom's post