Worrying About a Trump Victory? Don't.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
26-10-2016, 01:58 PM
RE: Worrying About a Trump Victory? Don't.
(26-10-2016 01:27 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(26-10-2016 01:21 PM)adey67 Wrote:  Sorry but no, that would be too sensible.

Neither of those would be sensible. You'd be better off making fewer carriers, which is precisely the plan, and by 2. That's not enough to put a dent in the deficit though. Budgets are never reduced, just shifted around here and there. The military really wastes money on small things anyway, pens, buckets, paper, printers, tools, cleaning supplies, etc. It's designed to be as wasteful as possible. And we could stop building billion dollar embassies, invading foreign nations, dropping bombs on people, removing ourselves from places like Japan, England, and Germany, stop spending billions on the military industrial complex....a couple of carriers is nothing.

I like where you're coming from Thumbsup
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-10-2016, 03:18 PM
(26-10-2016 01:52 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(26-10-2016 01:12 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  She may not be a good candidate -- I sure agree with many of your criticisms -- but between her and Trump, she is hands-down the better candidate.

To me, neither candidate is worthy of my vote, and so neither shall have my vote. If, however, I was not given the option of voting for a third party, I'd probably not vote, and if that weren't an option, I'd probably vote for Trump because I think he is I think he is less corrupt, and I think he is less likely to have of involved in more wars in the middle-east. I'm not saying Trump is a candidate for peace, he has engaged in sabre-rattling, but probably closer than Hillary who has a long history of voting for military action and being proud of (her words) and taking credit for Western involvement in Libya.

I think they're both war pigs. I think Trump is more dangerous simply for seemingly being willing to stumble or back into a war through bluster, ego, or incompetence. Hillary, on the other hand, would, I think, manage foreign policy better. Being rational is important in foreign policy; that is how misunderstandings are most often avoided.

Much more importantly to me, the issue of SCOTUS appointments looms large. I don't want to see the advances of the last 45 years rolled back. There's one vacancy right now, and perhaps two more coming up in the next four years. I want those nominations to go to justices who are committed to essential human rights. No doubt Clinton's will continue the court's skew towards business, but she's no worse than Trump for that. But I've no doubt her nominations will be more committed to the expansion of rights, rather than their shrinkage.

That said, I'll vote Johnson as a repudiation of the two-party system, unless I think Hillary has a shot at taking Texas -- I'll lend her my vote at that point, to help ensure that Trump gets no closer to the corridors of power than he already is.
26-10-2016, 03:42 PM
Yeah, if you want to stretch the budget, quit with the fucking invasions. I'll settle for saving a few trillion, and build those carriers just in case.
26-10-2016, 05:58 PM
(26-10-2016 03:18 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(26-10-2016 01:52 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  To me, neither candidate is worthy of my vote, and so neither shall have my vote. If, however, I was not given the option of voting for a third party, I'd probably not vote, and if that weren't an option, I'd probably vote for Trump because I think he is I think he is less corrupt, and I think he is less likely to have of involved in more wars in the middle-east. I'm not saying Trump is a candidate for peace, he has engaged in sabre-rattling, but probably closer than Hillary who has a long history of voting for military action and being proud of (her words) and taking credit for Western involvement in Libya.

I think they're both war pigs. I think Trump is more dangerous simply for seemingly being willing to stumble or back into a war through bluster, ego, or incompetence. Hillary, on the other hand, would, I think, manage foreign policy better. Being rational is important in foreign policy; that is how misunderstandings are most often avoided.

Much more importantly to me, the issue of SCOTUS appointments looms large. I don't want to see the advances of the last 45 years rolled back. There's one vacancy right now, and perhaps two more coming up in the next four years. I want those nominations to go to justices who are committed to essential human rights. No doubt Clinton's will continue the court's skew towards business, but she's no worse than Trump for that. But I've no doubt her nominations will be more committed to the expansion of rights, rather than their shrinkage.

That said, I'll vote Johnson as a repudiation of the two-party system, unless I think Hillary has a shot at taking Texas -- I'll lend her my vote at that point, to help ensure that Trump gets no closer to the corridors of power than he already is.

I'm in the boat you are, but I'd hold my nose and vote Trump if I thought Hillary could have a chance at winning my state's electoral votes (she won't in Tennessee either). So far I've been eligible to vote the 4 presidential elections, counting this one, and I haven't voted a major party in the general, though I always vote in the primaries as there is not penalty for doing so. Not to say I wouldn't vote for an R or a D if it were the right candidate or at the right time (such as the scenario discussed here), but that's unlikely. If Ron Paul had secured the Repub nomination 4 years ago I'd have voted for him in the general. Anyhow, as to who is more likely to provoke, or sign on for more war, that's Hillary by my estimation. Who has Trump irritated? Mexico isn't going to war with us. Hillary has been sabre-rattling with Russia, which as we well know by now means more proxy wars in the middle-east. She voted for a war in Iraq, which has destabilized the area an allowed for the creation of ISIL/ISIS/IS. She proudly champions herself as the deciding factor in destabilizing Libya by bombing the stabilizing government. Both Hillary and Trump have said they want to give heavy weapons to the Kurds to fight ISIS, which will lead to more destabilization with NATO countries, as they want land from Turkey among others to create a Kurdastan. These comments have understandably lowered our reputation with the Turks. She wants to do even worse in Syria, and has made clear the she doesn't share Obama's position on Syria. She is a full-time interventionist and war hawk and way more likely to cause more undue death and treasure depletion - the numbers are on my side. People fear Trump's ego may be the cause of bad relations with other countries, and potentially war, and that is a absolutely valid concern, one that I share, but Hillary has the proven track record.

26-10-2016, 10:07 PM
[img][Image: history-lesson-for-republican-conspiracy...312820.png]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 7 users Like Full Circle's post
27-10-2016, 05:57 AM
(26-10-2016 03:18 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(26-10-2016 01:52 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  To me, neither candidate is worthy of my vote, and so neither shall have my vote. If, however, I was not given the option of voting for a third party, I'd probably not vote, and if that weren't an option, I'd probably vote for Trump because I think he is I think he is less corrupt, and I think he is less likely to have of involved in more wars in the middle-east. I'm not saying Trump is a candidate for peace, he has engaged in sabre-rattling, but probably closer than Hillary who has a long history of voting for military action and being proud of (her words) and taking credit for Western involvement in Libya.

Which is worrying given the massive military build up on the Russian borders in eastern Europe, and the largest civil defence nuclear drills since the break up of the soviet union, the last thing needed is two trigger happy candidates or war pigs, lets hope common sense prevails.
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
27-10-2016, 06:45 AM
After watching the debates and seeing what Trump has been saying and doing, I feel I have been ripped off. He seems to be trying to throw the election. He has many stupid followers that eat it all up. I think he wants the donations, but doesn't actually want the job. Don't get me wrong, I still will not be voting for Clinton. Better to have non-experience in office, rather than pure evil. Hillary is for sale and always has been. She has no values of her own. Pay enough money and whatever you want will be an executive order.
27-10-2016, 06:57 AM
(27-10-2016 06:45 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  After watching the debates and seeing what Trump has been saying and doing, I feel I have been ripped off. He seems to be trying to throw the election. He has many stupid followers that eat it all up. I think he wants the donations, but doesn't actually want the job. Don't get me wrong, I still will not be voting for Clinton. Better to have non-experience in office, rather than pure evil. Hillary is for sale and always has been. She has no values of her own. Pay enough money and whatever you want will be an executive order.

I'm sure you are not alone in feeling duped, although I'm surprised you didn't see through him earlier but we all make mistakes mate, don't feel too bad. Smile
27-10-2016, 07:13 AM
(27-10-2016 06:57 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(27-10-2016 06:45 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  After watching the debates and seeing what Trump has been saying and doing, I feel I have been ripped off. He seems to be trying to throw the election. He has many stupid followers that eat it all up. I think he wants the donations, but doesn't actually want the job. Don't get me wrong, I still will not be voting for Clinton. Better to have non-experience in office, rather than pure evil. Hillary is for sale and always has been. She has no values of her own. Pay enough money and whatever you want will be an executive order.

I'm sure you are not alone in feeling duped, although I'm surprised you didn't see through him earlier but we all make mistakes mate, don't feel too bad. Smile

I take solace in the fact that I at least saw through Hildabeast. That provides some comfort. Though, it does leave me a nasty choice to make. Vote for Trump anyway, or vote for a third party. I would prefer non-experience over experienced evil however, I am not sure how much of a chance others will see through the bullshit and vote 3rd party. I may have to vote for Trump anyway. I can't see Clinton doing anything good with that office.
27-10-2016, 08:07 AM
(27-10-2016 07:13 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  I may have to vote for Trump anyway. I can't see Clinton doing anything good with that office.

Indeed, putting a lunatic in charge will be much better Yes

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post