Worrying About a Trump Victory? Don't.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
07-05-2016, 04:06 AM
RE: Worrying About a Trump Victory? Don't.
I've been pondering something today: Could Trump be the GOP's last hope of winning a presidential election? Think about it. Trump wants to deport the 11 million illegal immigrants currently in the US. Hillary wants them to stay and offer them a path to citizenship. Who do you think those 11 million people would vote for? The Democrats, of course. It might not be all of them, but an overwhelming majority for sure. There's no chance the GOP could win a presidential election ever again if the Democrats suddenly expanded their voter base by 10 million. That's a powerful argument that Trump needs to push to unite the GOP against Hillary behind him.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
07-05-2016, 09:55 AM
As an Aussie, I note that even long-term Republicans holding prominent positions are refusing to vote for Trump if he succeeds as POTUS nominee:

Such as... Carlos Curbelo, Mel Martinez, Philip Klein, Ben Howe, Mark Salter, Tony Fratto, Mitt Romney, Lindsey Graham, Peter Wehner, John McCain, Eliot A. Cohen, Christine Todd Whitman, Reid J. Ribble, Kevin Madden, Scott Rigell et al.

How is it that these rusted-on Republicans are gonna vote for Clinton? Is Trump really that bad that the party faithful are prepared to disown him? Downunder, we only see Trump as a real estate salesman or a game show host—but definitely not as a legitimate politician. More as Bozo the clown, but with less brains.
[Image: a2.jpg]

Big Grin

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 4 users Like SYZ's post
07-05-2016, 08:13 PM
(07-05-2016 04:06 AM)Vosur Wrote:  I've been pondering something today: Could Trump be the GOP's last hope of winning a presidential election? Think about it. Trump wants to deport the 11 million illegal immigrants currently in the US. Hillary wants them to stay and offer them a path to citizenship. Who do you think those 11 million people would vote for? The Democrats, of course. It might not be all of them, but an overwhelming majority for sure. There's no chance the GOP could win a presidential election ever again if the Democrats suddenly expanded their voter base by 10 million. That's a powerful argument that Trump needs to push to unite the GOP against Hillary behind him.

The Democrats know this, that's why they're fighting for a path to citizenship. The end of the Republic when this happens. Or the beginning of the next civil war.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
07-05-2016, 08:38 PM (This post was last modified: 07-05-2016 08:57 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(07-05-2016 04:06 AM)Vosur Wrote:  I've been pondering something today: Could Trump be the GOP's last hope of winning a presidential election? Think about it. Trump wants to deport the 11 million illegal immigrants currently in the US. Hillary wants them to stay and offer them a path to citizenship. Who do you think those 11 million people would vote for? The Democrats, of course. It might not be all of them, but an overwhelming majority for sure. There's no chance the GOP could win a presidential election ever again if the Democrats suddenly expanded their voter base by 10 million. That's a powerful argument that Trump needs to push to unite the GOP against Hillary behind him.

If it happens, it's never gonna happen in the next twelve months.
Your little scenario is totally unrealistic/implausible.
"Path to citizenship" is years, not months.

Trump will never unite the GOP.
Women and minorities hate Trump.

The "carnival barker" can't win.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
07-05-2016, 09:02 PM
(07-05-2016 08:13 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  The Democrats know this, that's why they're fighting for a path to citizenship. The end of the Republic when this happens. Or the beginning of the next civil war.

Or simply the next evolutionary step of humanity. The GOP can have their own civil war and fucking choke on it. The GOP is old, sick and dying. We can wait out the death rattles.

The rest of us will continue to make the small steps towards progress that we need to regardless of the protests from yesteryear. Back when America was so "great" (read: rich).
Drinking Beverage

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
07-05-2016, 10:10 PM
(07-05-2016 08:38 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  

If it happens, it's never gonna happen in the next twelve months.
Your little scenario is totally unrealistic/implausible.
"Path to citizenship" is years, not months.
It's neither unrealistic, nor is it implausible. You've completely missed the point by wrongfully assuming that this is supposed to happen within the next twelve months. No, it's supposed to happen over 4 or 8 years of a Clinton presidency.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
08-05-2016, 12:19 AM

It's a Trump argument - playing on peoples' fear - so he should *love* it. It's also ignoring that the demise of the party might be acceptable collateral if the alternative is the election of a lunatic.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
08-05-2016, 08:21 AM
(07-05-2016 04:06 AM)Vosur Wrote:  It's neither unrealistic, nor is it implausible. You've completely missed the point by wrongfully assuming that this is supposed to happen within the next twelve months. No, it's supposed to happen over 4 or 8 years of a Clinton presidency.

Trump is insane. Trump's inability to unite the party, as evidenced in the last week is an argument against your scenario. Americans are going to reject Trump. One of the main reasons that Ryan is waffling, is that he knows Trump's loss will have coat-tails, and he doesn't want the Republican control of congress to change. A Trump candidacy would PROMOTE congressional change, and will therefore promote immigration reform.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
08-05-2016, 10:25 AM
(08-05-2016 08:21 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  [...] Trump's loss will have coat-tails, and he doesn't want the Republican control of congress to change. A Trump candidacy would PROMOTE congressional change, and will therefore promote immigration reform.

This. With 40% of Republicans saying they won't likely vote for Trump, that certainly implies lower turnout on their side of the aisle. And on the other hand, a Trump candidacy will surely bring out women and minorities in droves in a stop-Trump effort.

They'll vote the undercard, too.
09-05-2016, 02:29 AM
(07-05-2016 08:13 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  The Democrats know this, that's why they're fighting for a path to citizenship. The end of the Republic when this happens. Or the beginning of the next civil war.

I have been predicting the end of the US republic for some time.

LDH, how do you see a new US civil war playing out? Indeed, is it even possible with the way the military is structured?

I am really very interested to hear what you have to say.

Thanks.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.