Worrying About a Trump Victory? Don't.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
03-06-2016, 09:53 AM
RE: Worrying About a Trump Victory? Don't.
(03-03-2016 09:44 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  A statistic getting no mention whatsoever in the primary frenzy seems to me potentially representative of the possible general election outcome, and it's a doozy:

Thus far, in 14 states where both political parties have held primaries, 16,270,018 voters cast their ballot. 3,958,847 of them voted for Clinton, 3,358,611 voted for Trump. That's a 600,000 vote lead.

Moreover, 9,672,999 of those votes were cast by Republicans, 6,597,019 were from Democrats - Clinton beats Trump in straight up votes from a pool of voters only 2/3 the pool Trump drew his votes from.

Hence while Trump may emerge as the Republican nominee, I think his chances in the general are less sanguine by significant degree.

Why this perspective is not even mentioned in Nate Silver's excellent fivethirtyeight is quite a mystery - for example, there was a lot of bluster all over the media about Trump winning by a large margin such a liberal stronghold as Massachussetts. Except he didn't, not by miles. Clinton won 603,784 votes out of 1,204,927 votes cast by Democrats, Trump only got 311,313 votes out of 621,122 cast by Republicans. That is NOT a Trump victory by any yardstick I'm familiar with, other than the sawed off rulers our science challenged media thinks serves as yardsticks.

Clinton has bested Trump in every state except Alabama, Tennessee, New Hampshire, Vermont and Nevada. Even Sanders has beat Trump in 6 states.

I think a large number of us could be served a heaping helping of extra sweet schadenfreude later on this year.

Are we feeling silly now ? No chance you said, unlikely etc etc he will never get the republican nomination. If this bastard wins then America has potentially signed the worlds death warrant. Trump is mentally ill and an aggressive danger to global peace and stability.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
04-06-2016, 11:15 AM
(03-06-2016 09:53 AM)adey67 Wrote:  If this bastard wins then America has potentially signed the worlds death warrant.
I felt the same way about Nixon, Reagan and Bush Jr. Especially Bush Jr. and his counselor Darth "Cheney" Vader. Trump is no worse than his predecessors. That's not to say he'd be a setback for the general advance of civilization, but I'm not sure Trump is the apocalypse.

(03-06-2016 09:53 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Trump is mentally ill
If true his phalanx of supporters are too, and they're a significant fraction of the electorate. He is obviously a high narcissist/megalomaniac, but such that he's clinical?

(03-06-2016 09:53 AM)adey67 Wrote:  and an aggressive danger to global peace and stability
You're describing the USA since WWII, not just its latest loudmouth thug. US soldiers have been shooting people around the world every day for decades and no end in sight. We've been shooting ourselves, too, at a rate seen only in lawless corners of the world - our culture WORSHIPS thuggery.

Hmm. Maybe we ARE insane.
[+] 1 user Likes Airportkid's post
05-06-2016, 02:51 AM (This post was last modified: 05-06-2016 03:03 AM by adey67.)
(04-06-2016 11:15 AM)Airportkid Wrote:  
(03-06-2016 09:53 AM)adey67 Wrote:  If this bastard wins then America has potentially signed the worlds death warrant.
I felt the same way about Nixon, Reagan and Bush Jr. Especially Bush Jr. and his counselor Darth "Cheney" Vader. Trump is no worse than his predecessors. That's not to say he'd be a setback for the general advance of civilization, but I'm not sure Trump is the apocalypse.

If true his phalanx of supporters are too, and they're a significant fraction of the electorate. He is obviously a high narcissist/megalomaniac, but such that he's clinical?

(03-06-2016 09:53 AM)adey67 Wrote:  and an aggressive danger to global peace and stability
You're describing the USA since WWII, not just its latest loudmouth thug. US soldiers have been shooting people around the world every day for decades and no end in sight. We've been shooting ourselves, too, at a rate seen only in lawless corners of the world - our culture WORSHIPS thuggery.

Awesome come back Airport but I think you're being a bit harsh, on an individual basis I have found Americans to be some of the nicest people. Every nation has its loons and thugs, here in Britain we have the BNP and the EDL .
The difference between Trump and the others is that I don't believe he is capable of listening to his advisors as you say yourself, he is bordering on megalomaniacal.
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
06-06-2016, 08:20 AM

Yup, we love our violence. We drive way too fast, pass in dangerous areas, shoot each other over meaningless shit like traffic disputes, I see white guys listening to gangster rap, yet we are scared shitless of sex and nudity. Especially nipples on women. Those are particularly scary to most.
06-06-2016, 08:48 AM

None of the above had a serious mental disease. Trump does.

Quote:A person with narcissistic personality disorder:
Reacts to criticism with anger, shame or humiliation
Takes advantage of others to reach his or her own goals
Exaggerates own importance
Exaggerates achievements and talents
Entertains unrealistic fantasies about success, power, beauty, intelligence or romance
Has unreasonable expectation of favorable treatment
Requires constant attention and positive reinforcement from others
Disregards the feelings of others, lacks empathy
Has obsessive self-interest
Pursues mainly selfish goals

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2015/11/22/...book-case/

You can search the web deeper and come up with uni professors diagnosing him (I don't have the time to dig it back up, I did so for a previous post in a Trump thread here). There is a lot to back this up.

It's the worst disorder to allow into power...

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
06-06-2016, 09:20 AM
(06-06-2016 08:48 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(04-06-2016 11:15 AM)Airportkid Wrote:  I felt the same way about Nixon, Reagan and Bush Jr. Especially Bush Jr. and his counselor Darth "Cheney" Vader. Trump is no worse than his predecessors. That's not to say he'd be a setback for the general advance of civilization, but I'm not sure Trump is the apocalypse.

Entertains unrealistic fantasies about success, power, beauty, intelligence or romance

You can search the web deeper and come up with uni professors diagnosing him (I don't have the time to dig it back up, I did so for a previous post in a Trump thread here). There is a lot to back this up.

Absolutely right, there a is a palpable feeling of unease in other countries about the increasing likelihood of a Trump victory.
06-06-2016, 09:21 AM
(06-06-2016 08:48 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(04-06-2016 11:15 AM)Airportkid Wrote:  I felt the same way about Nixon, Reagan and Bush Jr. Especially Bush Jr. and his counselor Darth "Cheney" Vader. Trump is no worse than his predecessors. That's not to say he'd be a setback for the general advance of civilization, but I'm not sure Trump is the apocalypse.

No one in history has had a bigger ego than mine, and yet manage to be this humble. ~ D.J. Trump

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
06-06-2016, 10:10 AM
(06-06-2016 09:21 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(06-06-2016 08:48 AM)Dom Wrote:  None of the above had a serious mental disease. Trump does.

No one in history has had a bigger ego than mine, and yet manage to be this humble. ~ D.J. Trump

In a way, this reminds me of Pope Francis, who seems to go out of his way to make sure you know how humble he is.
06-06-2016, 10:34 AM
The thing with Trump is that, if he says so, it is so. He doesn't know the concept of lying. He says what he thinks and it must be true. If you disagree you are "low energy, have a bad face, crooked, have a small dick, are unjust because you are mexican " etc.

That's what is going to trip him up - I hope.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
06-06-2016, 10:59 AM
(06-06-2016 10:34 AM)Dom Wrote:  The thing with Trump is that, if he says so, it is so. He doesn't know the concept of lying. He says what he thinks and it must be true. If you disagree you are "low energy, have a bad face, crooked, have a small dick, are unjust because you are mexican " etc.

That's what is going to trip him up - I hope.

As far as I can tell he appears to live in an alternative universe, similar to the one Calvin (from Calvin and Hobbes) would transport to now and then, where up is down and so forth.

The guy is nearly completely disconnected from the reality everyone else lives in.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post