Worst Job Ever?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-09-2015, 06:12 PM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2015 06:40 PM by goodwithoutgod.)
RE: Worst Job Ever?
Surprisingly the job I have right now...only because of the assignment. I am on a Nuclear Power Aircraft Carrier going through its half-life reactor refueling...it is a 4 year shipyard tour where they rip EVERYTHING out of the ship, keep what is worth keeping, order or manufacture what needs replacing, refuel the reactor, grind all the metal and repaint it, then reinstall thousands of miles of new cable, decking, paint over 2200 spaces (rooms), install the furniture....blah blah blah...picture a huge ship, with temporary lights strung through the dark passageways, huge ventilation hoses running up every ladder (stairway), hundreds of power cables on the floor, and hanging 4 feet off the floor, so you walk around bent over at the waist, wearing a hard hat, goggles, ear plugs, long sleeved hot fucking uniform, with no a/c and spaces an average of 90-130 degrees so sweat rains down every square inch of your body all day long as you bang your head on this thing or that...

ooooh and lets not forget the 3,000 unwashed dirtbags they have working on the ship (shipyard workers) who routinely shit or piss in dark spaces because they are too fucking lazy to go 8 decks up and wait in line for the bathroom like everyone else....so 3,000 shipyard workers, and 2400 sailors all working in this hell hole...guess how many bathrooms are available? A total of 14 stalls for the entire ship...always a line, and there is nothing like waiting for a 350 lb dirty, smelly, sweaty shipyard worker to waddle his fat ass out of the stall, so you can go in right behind him and look down at the ass-shaped sweat ring left on the toilet seat and the cloud of death hanging in the room....no a/c or ventilation in this big wooden bathroom on the flight-deck...nope....embrace the suck....did I mention where we eat is a half mile walk from the ship? and where we park is a 1.15 mile hike to the ship?

I can't paint the picture vividly enough to describe the fucking horror. Yesterday I had duty, I am the Assistant Command Duty Officer, so 2nd in charge of everything, which means the man that gets EVERYTHING done, and EVERYTHING must go through me. While the guy above me relaxes in his office and surfs ebay. SO yesterday right when dinner started, we had a rainstorm come through..apparently one of the dipshit yard workers left the protective cover off of one of the aircraft catapults on the flight deck, and within 45 mins we had 4" of water in 32 spaces and three decks. Joy....so I call in the shipyard fuckers to start the pumps, while I have my entire duty crew on bucket and mop brigade for the next 12 hours straight getting the water cleaned up...then the administrative annoyance of dealing with a "depressed sailor exhibiting suicidal ideations" (get one of these DAILY), a fight between two sailors, a DUI report, and a emergency AMCROSS (message reporting a sailor's immediate family member's death)....it was a fantastic night.

yes, I know, I get a ridiculous amount of money for this job, and retire in April, but I fucking hate my job right now...been in this environment for three years already...money doesn't always make a shitty job worthwhile.

Facepalm

Weeping

Huh

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
03-09-2015, 06:57 PM
I tutor adult learners in basic math skills.

The people who come to me HATE math with an unbridled passion. They lack critical thinking skills and they cannot see the value in learning greater than and less than, or why they can't just use a calculator. They think that the colleges and universities are just scamming them out of tuition by making them take math. Then they associate me personally with the thing that they currently hate the most. Confused
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
03-09-2015, 06:59 PM
(03-09-2015 05:29 PM)pablo Wrote:  After reading through this thread, it appears one could make a lucrative career out of knee-capping other people's shitty bosses. Big Grin

A Sisyphean task, no doubt.
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
03-09-2015, 07:01 PM
[Image: tractor_scales.jpg]

My dad's hometown is where the Ertl company started and operated for many years. He decided I needed to work in a factory for the summer between my junior and senior year of high school.

At that time Ertl farm toys were die cast...not plastic. I was on assembly lines doing things like putting the decals on the toys pictured to running the axle through the back tires to helping for a week or so with the John Deere riding tractors for kids that were like a tricycle.

[Image: 182092642_vintage-john-deere-pedal-tract...ds-toy.jpg]

Damn things were heavy and hot! The foundry was in the same building as was paint. It was dirty and miserable and I think I was paid around $2.30 an hour. It really sucked. I finally quit after two months and dad grounded me even though I got a new job on the way home at a locally owned grocery store where I worked for the next year.

I suppose I learned what he was trying to teach me. I have never worked factory work again. Dodgy

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 7 users Like Anjele's post
03-09-2015, 07:56 PM
(03-09-2015 06:12 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Surprisingly the job I have right now...only because of the assignment. I am on a Nuclear Power Aircraft Carrier going through its half-life reactor refueling...it is a 4 year shipyard tour where they rip EVERYTHING out of the ship, keep what is worth keeping, order or manufacture what needs replacing, refuel the reactor, grind all the metal and repaint it, then reinstall thousands of miles of new cable, decking, paint over 2200 spaces (rooms), install the furniture....blah blah blah...picture a huge ship, with temporary lights strung through the dark passageways, huge ventilation hoses running up every ladder (stairway), hundreds of power cables on the floor, and hanging 4 feet off the floor, so you walk around bent over at the waist, wearing a hard hat, goggles, ear plugs, long sleeved hot fucking uniform, with no a/c and spaces an average of 90-130 degrees so sweat rains down every square inch of your body all day long as you bang your head on this thing or that...

ooooh and lets not forget the 3,000 unwashed dirtbags they have working on the ship (shipyard workers) who routinely shit or piss in dark spaces because they are too fucking lazy to go 8 decks up and wait in line for the bathroom like everyone else....so 3,000 shipyard workers, and 2400 sailors all working in this hell hole...guess how many bathrooms are available? A total of 14 stalls for the entire ship...always a line, and there is nothing like waiting for a 350 lb dirty, smelly, sweaty shipyard worker to waddle his fat ass out of the stall, so you can go in right behind him and look down at the ass-shaped sweat ring left on the toilet seat and the cloud of death hanging in the room....no a/c or ventilation in this big wooden bathroom on the flight-deck...nope....embrace the suck....did I mention where we eat is a half mile walk from the ship? and where we park is a 1.15 mile hike to the ship?

I can't paint the picture vividly enough to describe the fucking horror. Yesterday I had duty, I am the Assistant Command Duty Officer, so 2nd in charge of everything, which means the man that gets EVERYTHING done, and EVERYTHING must go through me. While the guy above me relaxes in his office and surfs ebay. SO yesterday right when dinner started, we had a rainstorm come through..apparently one of the dipshit yard workers left the protective cover off of one of the aircraft catapults on the flight deck, and within 45 mins we had 4" of water in 32 spaces and three decks. Joy....so I call in the shipyard fuckers to start the pumps, while I have my entire duty crew on bucket and mop brigade for the next 12 hours straight getting the water cleaned up...then the administrative annoyance of dealing with a "depressed sailor exhibiting suicidal ideations" (get one of these DAILY), a fight between two sailors, a DUI report, and a emergency AMCROSS (message reporting a sailor's immediate family member's death)....it was a fantastic night.

yes, I know, I get a ridiculous amount of money for this job, and retire in April, but I fucking hate my job right now...been in this environment for three years already...money doesn't always make a shitty job worthwhile.

Facepalm

Weeping

Huh
When I was in the Navy, if I was on a ship or sub, it was because I was either installing something or hitchhiking. A few weeks at a time at most, usually less. That sounds like a pretty shitty deal they gave you for your last tour Tongue My first duty station was NSA Misawa, which was on an air force base. And I wasn't even in the main facility most of the time. When not out doing something in some random shitty party of the world, most of my time at home station was in a little facility about 45 miles off base with just me, one other similarly ranked sailor (most of us were seaman to 2nd class, we had one 1st class, our chief might visit the site once every week or two), a civilian tech rep who wasn't even allowed to touch the equipment and literally got 100k per year, tax free, to be our technical adviser, and a guard dog. We had 24 hour shifts, and though we'd theoretically spend 8 hours of it doing actual work, we'd usually get everything done in 2 hours and spend the rest of the time vegetating. Sometimes I'd sign out the snowmobile to go to preventive maintenance on various equipment around the site, a 30 minute task at most, and then just spend like 4 hours cruising around on the snow covered beach. Good times... Granted, on those rare occasions in which shit hit the fan, it really, really, really hit the fan. But most of the time we just sat around having barbeques. I got spoiled forever there.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 4 users Like yakherder's post
03-09-2015, 08:15 PM
(03-09-2015 06:59 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(03-09-2015 05:29 PM)pablo Wrote:  After reading through this thread, it appears one could make a lucrative career out of knee-capping other people's shitty bosses. Big Grin

A Sisyphean task, no doubt.

I have time. Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
03-09-2015, 08:39 PM
I had a boss who would make me dial his phone before I handed it to him. Apparently, finding the correct button that matched each digit in the number in the book was much, much too difficult for him. <rolleyes>

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 4 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
03-09-2015, 11:04 PM
(03-09-2015 06:57 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I tutor adult learners in basic math skills.

The people who come to me HATE math with an unbridled passion. They lack critical thinking skills and they cannot see the value in learning greater than and less than, or why they can't just use a calculator. They think that the colleges and universities are just scamming them out of tuition by making them take math. Then they associate me personally with the thing that they currently hate the most. Confused

I've been there... I like tutoring though. Maybe it's 'cos I only did it with high school kids. They're still able to see the fun once you show them that something isn't as difficult as they thought. There seems to be some kind of rule that bad maths teachers will teach people just when they need good ones, so they get this idea that maths is this huge complicated beast...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
04-09-2015, 12:05 AM
(03-09-2015 08:15 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(03-09-2015 06:59 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  A Sisyphean task, no doubt.

I have time. Big Grin

Well what are ya waiting for? Grab a monkey-wrench and get, er, crackin'.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
04-09-2015, 12:42 AM
My title was "front desk girl" at an Aveda salon and day spa.

Minimum wage, unbenefited, the owner was an absolutely mental raging bitch. I was supposed to dress "in style" on minimum wage - with all black on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and brown/turquoise on Tuesday/Thursday. They threatened to cut my pony tail off if I put my hair up. It didn't matter if you had the flu or strep, hell, you were to come to work unless you were puking "too much" to do your job. Not that I had sick pay, anyway.

My position was managerial yet without any authority. I managed two cash registers, the appointments for all stylists/nail techs/massage therapists/aestheticians, sold product at the front and had to know at least two ingredients in each item which the owner would occasionallyquiz me on when she stopped in(the stylists got a cut of everything I sold - I got nothing), opened and closed, prepared and kept the Aveda tea and fruit water ready for clients, mopped/dusted/cleaned the front (with all the product) AND the bathrooms, had two phone lines... We weren't allowed to have a stool at the front because it was too unsightly - I loved spending 14 hours on my feet in heels. Dodgy She could never keep anyone in that position long enough to staff the front with more than one employee at a time.

The clientele - obnoxious. Think stepford wife, ivory tower self entitled bitches. I hate kissing asses. I am *not* beneath you. I am a person.

My coworkers were such bitches. They were supposed to relieve me for lunch, which happened twice. Hung me out to dry several times. And if they were going on vacation or taking a day off, *I* was the one that had to call their clients to cancel and get yelled at.

Only job I've quit without notice. I walked in, turned in my key to the new girl that was working that day, "give this to Teresa, she'll be expecting it." Called up my crazy boss and told her "I quit, the store key is with the new front desk girl at the Madison location."

I thought it was going to be fun. Sad

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 4 users Like Nurse's post