Worst Job Ever?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-09-2015, 12:44 AM
RE: Worst Job Ever?
(04-09-2015 12:42 AM)Nurse Wrote:  My title was "front desk girl" at an Aveda salon and day spa.

Minimum wage, unbenefited, the owner was an absolutely mental raging bitch. I was supposed to dress "in style" on minimum wage - with all black on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and brown/turquoise on Tuesday/Thursday. They threatened to cut my pony tail off if I put my hair up. It didn't matter if you had the flu or strep, hell, you were to come to work unless you were puking "too much" to do your job. Not that I had sick pay, anyway.

My position was managerial yet without any authority. I managed two cash registers, the appointments for all stylists/nail techs/massage therapists/aestheticians, sold product at the front and had to know at least two ingredients in each item which the owner would occasionallyquiz me on when she stopped in(the stylists got a cut of everything I sold - I got nothing), opened and closed, prepared and kept the Aveda tea and fruit water ready for clients, mopped/dusted/cleaned the front (with all the product) AND the bathrooms, had two phone lines... We weren't allowed to have a stool at the front because it was too unsightly - I loved spending 14 hours on my feet in heels. Dodgy She could never keep anyone in that position long enough to staff the front with more than one employee at a time.

The clientele - obnoxious. Think stepford wife, ivory tower self entitled bitches. I hate kissing asses. I am *not* beneath you. I am a person.

My coworkers were such bitches. They were supposed to relieve me for lunch, which happened twice. Hung me out to dry several times. And if they were going on vacation or taking a day off, *I* was the one that had to call their clients to cancel and get yelled at.

Only job I've quit without notice. I walked in, turned in my key to the new girl that was working that day, "give this to Teresa, she'll be expecting it." Called up my crazy boss and told her "I quit, the store key is with the new front desk girl at the Madison location."

I thought it was going to be fun. Sad

Somehow having money seems to turn a lot of people into arseholes.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
04-09-2015, 02:24 AM
(04-09-2015 12:44 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(04-09-2015 12:42 AM)Nurse Wrote:  My title was "front desk girl" at an Aveda salon and day spa.

Minimum wage, unbenefited, the owner was an absolutely mental raging bitch. I was supposed to dress "in style" on minimum wage - with all black on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and brown/turquoise on Tuesday/Thursday. They threatened to cut my pony tail off if I put my hair up. It didn't matter if you had the flu or strep, hell, you were to come to work unless you were puking "too much" to do your job. Not that I had sick pay, anyway.

My position was managerial yet without any authority. I managed two cash registers, the appointments for all stylists/nail techs/massage therapists/aestheticians, sold product at the front and had to know at least two ingredients in each item which the owner would occasionallyquiz me on when she stopped in(the stylists got a cut of everything I sold - I got nothing), opened and closed, prepared and kept the Aveda tea and fruit water ready for clients, mopped/dusted/cleaned the front (with all the product) AND the bathrooms, had two phone lines... We weren't allowed to have a stool at the front because it was too unsightly - I loved spending 14 hours on my feet in heels. Dodgy She could never keep anyone in that position long enough to staff the front with more than one employee at a time.

The clientele - obnoxious. Think stepford wife, ivory tower self entitled bitches. I hate kissing asses. I am *not* beneath you. I am a person.

My coworkers were such bitches. They were supposed to relieve me for lunch, which happened twice. Hung me out to dry several times. And if they were going on vacation or taking a day off, *I* was the one that had to call their clients to cancel and get yelled at.

Only job I've quit without notice. I walked in, turned in my key to the new girl that was working that day, "give this to Teresa, she'll be expecting it." Called up my crazy boss and told her "I quit, the store key is with the new front desk girl at the Madison location."

I thought it was going to be fun. Sad

Somehow having money seems to turn a lot of people into arseholes.

Because who gives a shit what others think? You're rich as fuck...
When you're poor and rely on others as your source of income, ie: you have a boss and landlord and such, it's beneficial to not be an asshole to them.
When you're rich... fuck em'.
[+] 4 users Like earmuffs's post
04-09-2015, 08:21 AM
Stacking/catching roll pans at the Sunbeam bread factory bakery the summer after my senior year of high school. It was dirty and greasy. By the end of the day everyone was covered in flour, dough and cooking oil. This is Alabama. The summers are hot and humid to begin with, but the factory was usually at least 10 degrees warmer than outside due to the 60 foot long two story high oven. The humidity stayed in the 90s. I’d start a shift loading stacks of heavy roll pans onto the conveyor and man handling 55 gallon drums of oil. After a couple of hours of that I’d move to the back of the oven and catch the hot pans after the rolls had been sucked out of them.

It was hot, dirty manual labor type work, but the worst part of it was the shifts. The factory ran 24x7 with 4 production crews serially. What that means is when your shift ended you came back 24 hours later. For example if you worked midnight to 8:30 Monday (30 minute lunch break) you come in again at 8am on Tuesday, 4pm on Wednesday etc.… Once a week the plant shut down 8 hours for maintenance. This put the shifts on a four week rotation where each shift would be off once during the four week period. A schedule looked like this.

[Image: Bakery%20Shift%20Schedule_zpssbpzkrjg.jpg]

The job paid decently. I think I started at around $7 an hour which would have been more than twice the minimum wage at the time, but it was a hellish way to live. I was only there for 3 months. I was young, in good shape and it almost killed me. Army boot camp which is what I did next was a breeze in comparison.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Popeye's Pappy's post
04-09-2015, 08:59 AM
(04-09-2015 02:24 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(04-09-2015 12:44 AM)morondog Wrote:  Somehow having money seems to turn a lot of people into arseholes.

Because who gives a shit what others think? You're rich as fuck...
When you're poor and rely on others as your source of income, ie: you have a boss and landlord and such, it's beneficial to not be an asshole to them.

I think it just shows that *most* people are assholes, they just don't have an opportunity to act on it.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 2 users Like Nurse's post
04-09-2015, 09:06 AM
(04-09-2015 08:59 AM)Nurse Wrote:  
(04-09-2015 02:24 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Because who gives a shit what others think? You're rich as fuck...

I think it just shows that *most* people are assholes, they just don't have an opportunity to act on it.

I do think money can make *some* people extra asshole-ish though. It's like they feel that they are entitled or something. My neighborhood is filled with some of those people. I just bought a house and the previous owner put a greenhouse on the side of it. It's kind of cool, though. I was actually kind of excited about it to attempt to plant some things. My neighbor, who I just met, came up to me to introduce herself and out of nowhere said the greenhouse was ugly and doesn't know how the other owner could have POSSIBLY thought that looked nice in "this" kind of neighborhood. Fucking people. I think I'm going to put in an even bigger greenhouse now Evil_monster

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 4 users Like jennybee's post
04-09-2015, 09:40 AM
At 19 after my first year at university, I got a job as a laborer for a general contractor.

The pay was good, but the job was hot, dirty, and scary. Probably dangerous. Consider

The company was repairing a 4-lane highway bridge over a set of railroad tracks. I was using a pneumatic hammer to remove rotting concrete on the supports under the bridge.
So, I'm sitting on a 3-foot-wide horizontal concrete support hammering out the rotting concrete on the verticals and on the horizontal beam on which I sit.

The concrete dust is blinding and choking even though I'm wearing goggles and face mask; most days I'm sweating like a pig in the hot and humid summer, so I'm coated in concrete. Remember, this is happening 35 feet above railroad tracks (about 10 feet above the train) with trains going by every so often, and the bridge shakes like an earthquake is happening, I'm hanging on just trying to survive the train.
Oh, yeah: no safety harness.

At the end of the day, I'm coughing up concrete dust and my sinuses are clogged with it.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
04-09-2015, 09:45 AM
(04-09-2015 09:06 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(04-09-2015 08:59 AM)Nurse Wrote:  I think it just shows that *most* people are assholes, they just don't have an opportunity to act on it.

I do think money can make *some* people extra asshole-ish though. It's like they feel that they are entitled or something.

That's how our brains are wired; the just world fallacy is baked right in.

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
04-09-2015, 09:46 AM
It's hard to decide between back-breaking and mind-numbing.

Mind-numbing= cataloging hundreds of small airplane parts and placing them in the right bin inside a poorly lit warehouse hour after hour.

Back-breaking = loading the belly of cargo planes in the South Florida summer. The holds were only 4 1/2 feet tall so I had to knee walk the boxes over uneven, corrugated aluminum ribbing.

Weeping

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
04-09-2015, 10:00 AM
(04-09-2015 09:46 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  It's hard to decide between back-breaking and mind-numbing.

Mind-numbing= cataloging hundreds of small airplane parts and placing them in the right bin inside a poorly lit warehouse hour after hour.

Back-breaking = loading the belly of cargo planes in the South Florida summer. The holds were only 4 1/2 feet tall so I had to knee walk the boxes over uneven, corrugated aluminum ribbing.

Weeping

Yabut, imagine if you had to catalog hundreds of small airplane parts and place them in the right bin inside a 4 1/2 foot tall belly of cargo plane in the South Florida summer? Shocking

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-09-2015, 10:10 AM
(04-09-2015 09:46 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Mind-numbing= cataloging hundreds of small airplane parts and placing them in the right bin inside a poorly lit warehouse hour after hour.

I've got 3 people doing something similar out at Tinker right now. They are just comparing the OEM drawings against the governments parts database and making corrections as opposed to touching any real parts. Our deliverable is 3000 line items a month for 12 months. That means each of them has to check off a line item every 9.4 minutes for a whole year. It would drive me fucking insane, but they seem to be happy enough doing what they are doing for what we are paying them.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]