Worst Job Ever?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-09-2015, 10:36 AM
RE: Worst Job Ever?
(04-09-2015 10:10 AM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  
(04-09-2015 09:46 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Mind-numbing= cataloging hundreds of small airplane parts and placing them in the right bin inside a poorly lit warehouse hour after hour.

I've got 3 people doing something similar out at Tinker right now. They are just comparing the OEM drawings against the governments parts database and making corrections as opposed to touching any real parts. Our deliverable is 3000 line items a month for 12 months. That means each of them has to check off a line item every 9.4 minutes for a whole year. It would drive me fucking insane, but they seem to be happy enough doing what they are doing for what we are paying them.

The worst part (pun intended) for me was that I was alone, no one to talk to for most of the day.

@Chas - no, I'd shoot someone.

I just remembered one positive though, I learned to drive a forklift! I was a maniac with that thing.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-09-2015, 12:51 PM
I've liked most of the jobs I've had....the worst was when I was a kid. During the summer I would pick tomatoes, just to get some money together. You would work in an extremely hot greenhouse, crawl on your hands and knees up each row, fill your bucket, crawl back and empty your bucketful into a crate. Sometimes, just when you nearly have a full crate, you'd crawl back with your bucket and the crate is gone, stolen. We got paid per crate so this really pissed me off. Whatever insecticide they used on the tomatoes, caused the skin on the palms of your hands to harden and turn a dark green. Gloves were a luxury. I didn't eat tomatoes for years after that.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 1 user Likes Marozz's post
04-09-2015, 01:29 PM
(04-09-2015 12:51 PM)Marozz Wrote:  Whatever insecticide they used on the tomatoes, caused the skin on the palms of your hands to harden and turn a dark green. Gloves were a luxury. I didn't eat tomatoes for years after that.

If it was in a greenhouse, it's very unlikely to have been insecticidal.

Tomatoes, though, are related to nightshade and the surfaces of the plant contain trace amounts of several toxic alkaloids, notably solanine. You'd have to eat a hell of a lot of the fruit to notice anything, but the sustained superficial contact (especially with the leaves) involved in picking them is def enough to be symptomatic.

... this is my signature!
[+] 3 users Like cjlr's post
04-09-2015, 01:42 PM
[/quote]

If it was in a greenhouse, it's very unlikely to have been insecticidal.

Tomatoes, though, are related to nightshade and the surfaces of the plant contain trace amounts of several toxic alkaloids, notably solanine. You'd have to eat a hell of a lot of the fruit to notice anything, but the sustained superficial contact (especially with the leaves) involved in picking them is def enough to be symptomatic.
[/quote]
Makes sense, one would have to constantly grasp the leaves to get to the tomatoes.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
04-09-2015, 05:58 PM
I feel like the odd man out for never having worked retail or fast food. Shy

First job I had was at a Baptist Church Camp - on my feet all day pretty much, but other than that, the job wasn't half bad (there were some cute guys there Big Grin ). Still, decided I didn't want to do that forever.

So, went to a community college for half a minute and got a certificate for basic office skills that way I could get an 8-5 job. Wanted the set hours.

Got the 8-5 job with a company that did contracts for the military - they made power supplies and satcoms, etc. Lot of stuff that I didn't really know much about other than that I put together work orders and whatnot for them to get built. I did filing and odd-and-end office work for the engineers and drafters. Really loved my supervisors there. Gosh, lots of memories coming back now that I am thinking about that job. Shy

Anyway, ended up leaving there because... eh, lot to explain. Stayed home with my kiddos for a while and then went back to work and that is where the shittiest job comes in. Dodgy

It was a security and fire equipment type place - lots of guys there. Lots. And that was much of the problem with that job. Dodgy Sexist bastards. One of my kids ended up getting sick not long after I started that job and so the temp service they used had another girl fill in while I was out. When I got back, one of the guys bemoaned about why couldn't they keep the big-titted temp girl who filled in for me? Really hurt my feelings - especially when the only other two girls in the office loved me and felt I was actually doing competent work. So at some point, when I was inadvertantly left to man the phones all on my own with no one around to ask for help in assisting callers (was still learning the ropes)... well, the details are fuzzy now, tbh. But somehow I (very much accidentally) ended up ratting out a cheating wife to her husband and the husband threatened to come up to our place of business and well... I guess beat the shit out of the co-worker of mine who was having an affair with the wife. It was awful. I felt horrible, but then... dude shouldn't have been messing around with a married woman, so fuck him. Quit that fucking job because I was too good for it. Sleepy

And then, my friends, I came to the place of my current and longstanding employment. The wonderful world of life insurance. Hobo Will have been here for 10 years come next August. Cool I could go on a long string of bitches about the place, but ultimately, I am working downtown where the handful of tallish buildings in this city reside (and where I can therefore pretend I'm working in a big city Shy ) and I'm on the next-to-top floor and I have even better than 8-5 hours, so.... yeah. Blush

I have failed the overall purpose of this thread by detailing the jobs I liked but oh well. Cool Tongue

[+] 3 users Like Escape Artist's post
04-09-2015, 06:16 PM
(04-09-2015 05:58 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  And then, my friends, I came to the place of my current and longstanding employment. The wonderful world of life insurance. Hobo Will have been here for 10 years come next August.

My uncle and cousin have done very well with their own life insurance underwriter's business. Are you an underwriter? My grandfather and brother were both actuaries. Insurance business been berry berry good to us. Big Grin

#sigh
04-09-2015, 07:22 PM
(03-09-2015 11:34 AM)pablo Wrote:  When I was 18 I got a temp labor job at a corn processing plant. One time a train car accidently spilled a good amount of corn-meal on the ground, and nobody bothered to clean it up for about a week.
The spill was in a low area, we got heavy storms and it filled with water.
They sent us into the thigh deep mess with shovels and hip-waders to clean it, but by then it was half maggots and it was moving.
That was a weird night.

You ever seen liquid chicken? Sad

My first job ever was at KFC! This particular one was filthy anyway. Like the dishwasher machine thing was never used cuz it was broke and folks had thrown dirty dishes in it they couldn't or wouldn't clean. So when it was time to remove the thing during this big renovation it tipped over, the top plate popping off, and a gawdam mountain of cockroaches flowed out over the floor. You'd have had to see it to believe it! If we'd been open there'd have been fleeing customers, and lawsuits, n shit! Confused

But the worst was after we had to reopen but the new freezer-unit hadn't been delivered & hooked up! So they rented a big ass trailer with this freezer unit on its front. Parked it out by the dumpsters. Pain in the ass hauling heavy plastic tubs of frozen chicken all the way across the parking lot in a rush! But finally the new freezer came, & got hooked up. Got cold. Got filled up with a fresh delivery of food. Trailer gets forgotten, it's freezer unit no longer needed to be fueled! Shy

Until WEEKS later the truck driver informs the manager there's still stuff inside it, & it ain't moving until its cleaned out, so call his people when our shit's out of it! 500+ pounds of chicken shut inside a giant metal box, in the summer heat, for more weeks than any of us could remember! The back doors were wide open when I got sentenced to the heroic task, so I'm surprised the initial blast of escaping air/odor hadn't instantly killed the driver & every other living thing within 500 fuckin yards! We'd chop up the chickens legs, wings, breasts, thighs. 6 or 8 whole chickens in a tub! There were a few maggots left, but there wasn't any solid meat left for them to burrow through! They were just floating in this thick, putrid, green soup! You know when what your eyes are focused on appears to be moving toward you, and everything around/behind it appears to be moving away from you? Yeah! [Image: smiley-sick029.gif]

Anyway! Worst job ever! Took me 10 years before I could eat chicken, again, or refrain from telling a family member not to eat at Kentucky Fried Chicken if they valued their lives the moment I saw em! Laugh out load

[+] 2 users Like TheGulegon's post
04-09-2015, 07:28 PM
(04-09-2015 07:22 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  
(03-09-2015 11:34 AM)pablo Wrote:  When I was 18 I got a temp labor job at a corn processing plant. One time a train car accidently spilled a good amount of corn-meal on the ground, and nobody bothered to clean it up for about a week.
They sent us into the thigh deep mess with shovels and hip-waders to clean it, but by then it was half maggots and it was moving.
That was a weird night.

My first job ever was at KFC! This particular one was filthy anyway. Like the dishwasher machine thing was never used cuz it was broke and folks had thrown dirty dishes in it they couldn't or wouldn't clean. So when it was time to remove the thing during this big renovation it tipped over, the top plate popping off, and a gawdam mountain of cockroaches flowed out over the floor. You'd have had to see it to believe it! If we'd been open there'd have been fleeing customers, and lawsuits, n shit! Confused

But the worst was after we had to reopen but the new freezer-unit hadn't been delivered & hooked up! So they rented a big ass trailer with this freezer unit on its front. Parked it out by the dumpsters. Pain in the ass hauling heavy plastic tubs of frozen chicken all the way across the parking lot in a rush! But finally the new freezer came, & got hooked up. Got cold. Got filled up with a fresh delivery of food. Trailer gets forgotten, it's freezer unit no longer needed to be fueled! Shy

Until WEEKS later the truck driver informs the manager there's still stuff inside it, & it ain't moving until its cleaned out, so call his people when our shit's out of it! 500+ pounds of chicken shut inside a giant metal box, in the summer heat, for more weeks than any of us could remember! The back doors were wide open when I got sentenced to the heroic task, so I'm surprised the initial blast of escaping air/odor hadn't instantly killed the driver & every other living thing within 500 fuckin yards! We'd chop up the chickens legs, wings, breasts, thighs. 6 or 8 whole chickens in a tub! There were a few maggots left, but there wasn't any solid meat left for them to burrow through! They were just floating in this thick, putrid, green soup! You know when what your eyes are focused on appears to be moving toward you, and everything around/behind it appears to be moving away from you? Yeah! [Image: smiley-sick029.gif]

Anyway! Worst job ever! Took me 10 years before I could eat chicken, again, or refrain from telling a family member not to eat at Kentucky Fried Chicken if they valued their lives the moment I saw em! Laugh out load

Sure glad I had chicken for supper tonight. Sadcryface

Not KFC, but still...Confused

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
04-09-2015, 07:49 PM
(04-09-2015 07:22 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  
That was a weird night.

You win.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 4 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
04-09-2015, 08:00 PM
(04-09-2015 07:28 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Sure glad I had chicken for supper tonight. Sadcryface

Not KFC, but still...Confused

For dinner, tonight, I had some green beans! And whole corn! Shy
and a singular chicken leg Blush

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post