Worst reasons to believe in god

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-03-2014, 09:23 AM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2014 09:38 AM by CleverUsername.)
What are the worst reasons to believe in god you've ever heard?

I was once asked how it was possible I didn't believe in god when a snooty person I know shared a first name with a snooty character on TV. Yeah, while millions starve god spends his time making cute little coincidences.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes CleverUsername's post
03-03-2014, 09:33 AM
RE: Worst reasons to believe in god
"Humans cannot imagine anything greater than what exists. Since we can imagine God, God exists."

I remember hearing that in high school, back when I believed in God, thinking "WTF?". I didn't understand how he got to that first premise.
[+] 3 users Like RobbyPants's post
03-03-2014, 09:44 AM
"Prove GOD DOESN'T exist."
[+] 5 users Like DemonicLemon's post
03-03-2014, 09:48 AM
"A Necessary Being (i.e., a Being of which it is impossible that it should not exist) exists."

The idea of "a necessary being" is remarkably stupid presupposition.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
[+] 1 user Likes rampant.a.i.'s post
03-03-2014, 09:53 AM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2014 10:02 AM by Impulse.)
The first uncaused cause is by definition God.

Rolleyes

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
03-03-2014, 09:58 AM
(03-03-2014 09:33 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  "Humans cannot imagine anything greater than what exists. Since we can imagine God, God exists."

I remember hearing that in high school, back when I believed in God, thinking "WTF?". I didn't understand how he got to that first premise.

People this stupid are painful to talk to.

I've heard "You can't deny the existence of something that does not exist. You deny god exists, so he must exist in order for you to be able to deny him". People like that I just roll my eyes at and attempt to never speak to again.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 2 users Like itsnotmeitsyou's post
03-03-2014, 10:01 AM
One of the most stupid ones is definitely "Everybody believes and they can't be wrong"
[+] 1 user Likes donotwant's post
03-03-2014, 10:09 AM
(03-03-2014 09:53 AM)Impulse Wrote:  The first uncaused cause is by definition God.

Rolleyes

"As you can clearly see: The universe had a cause. And that cause, if we examine it closely:
*Shoehorn* *wooden mallet* Bible *shoehorn* *tape into place*

"...Was not only a God, but the New Testament God."

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
[+] 4 users Like rampant.a.i.'s post
03-03-2014, 10:20 AM
"The world is just so complex" - true, but inserting your god just means you are too stupid or lazy to learn how it really works, and how it really became so diverse and complex.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
[+] 1 user Likes Timber1025's post
03-03-2014, 10:21 AM
(03-03-2014 10:20 AM)Timber1025 Wrote:  "The world is just so complex" - true, but inserting your god just means you are too stupid or lazy to learn how it really works, and how it really became so diverse and complex.

It's kind of funny that in nature everything is going from simply things to more complex but for theists it's the other way around. The most complex thing in the world is making everything else.
[+] 1 user Likes donotwant's post