Worst way to find out

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-08-2015, 09:16 AM
RE: Worst way to find out
(25-08-2015 08:13 AM)Iñigo Wrote:  Maybe you can try training your parents to not flavor their speech with christian lingo. For example if your mom says: it's a beautiful day here that the lord has given us." You say "or maybe it was satan." Mom says: "the lord works in mysterious ways"... and you say "so does satan". Dad says "we are just so blessed to have a nice home"... you say "or it could be satan trying to fool you with earthly pleasures". You get the drift.

haha, I've thought of that but I'm trying to avoid Satan references because they're fundamentalists so they probably actually think I am influenced by Satan. I did reply to one email where I took several of her statements and changed "god" or "sin" into something else so she would see how ridiculous it sounds to me. The sentences where she said "spiritual truth" are really funny when read with "voodoo truth" or "oogie-boogie truth". Not sure it delivered the impact I wanted though.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-08-2015, 09:19 AM
(25-08-2015 08:40 AM)Banjo Wrote:  There's no shame being an atheist. Plenty of shame being a Christian. Remind them of things like St Bartholomew's day, witch burnings etc.

Or the Popes having royals murdered all over Europe to suit their needs. Christian history is a bloodbath.

They tend to dismiss that stuff as "those Catholics" or not "true" Christians. Everything bad is sinful people's fault but everything good god gets the credit.
25-08-2015, 09:26 AM
(25-08-2015 09:19 AM)gnarlynewt Wrote:  
(25-08-2015 08:40 AM)Banjo Wrote:  There's no shame being an atheist. Plenty of shame being a Christian. Remind them of things like St Bartholomew's day, witch burnings etc.

Or the Popes having royals murdered all over Europe to suit their needs. Christian history is a bloodbath.

They tend to dismiss that stuff as "those Catholics" or not "true" Christians. Everything bad is sinful people's fault but everything good god gets the credit.

Well I hate to say it but the Twitter account was gonna get you caught. You must deep down have wanted it or not thought it through.

Sadly I come from a non religious background from your point of view. I have no real advice. I'd ex the Twitter account asap for one. Shut up about religion if it is going to place your living condition in a bad way. Or I'd leave. I was well out of home by your age. Perhaps just pack a bag and go. The world is a big place. Get a job. Anything. Work on a farm a trawler, I did all these things and more.

Get on the phone first and see if you can tee something up.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
25-08-2015, 09:52 AM
(25-08-2015 09:26 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Well I hate to say it but the Twitter account was gonna get you caught. You must deep down have wanted it or not thought it through.

Sadly I come from a non religious background from your point of view. I have no real advice. I'd ex the Twitter account asap for one. Shut up about religion if it is going to place your living condition in a bad way. Or I'd leave. I was well out of home by your age. Perhaps just pack a bag and go. The world is a big place. Get a job. Anything. Work on a farm a trawler, I did all these things and more.

Get on the phone first and see if you can tee something up.

I think you misunderstand. I'm not a kid, I'm nearly 30. I've lived on my own since I was barely 18. I'm even on another continent 6000 miles from my parents right now. I never gave them my twitter info, or even gave any personal info on the account such as a name or even my location. So I fail to see how I was asking for it.
25-08-2015, 09:59 AM
(25-08-2015 09:52 AM)gnarlynewt Wrote:  I think you misunderstand. I'm not a kid, I'm nearly 30. I've lived on my own since I was barely 18. I'm even on another continent 6000 miles from my parents right now. I never gave them my twitter info, or even gave any personal info on the account such as a name or even my location. So I fail to see how I was asking for it.

I am on a bucket of cancer med's so don't mind if I misunderstand.

You're 30!

I thought you were a kid at school.

The question begs. Why does a grown self sufficient man of 30 care?

And they are how many miles away? 6000?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
25-08-2015, 10:07 AM
(25-08-2015 09:59 AM)Banjo Wrote:  I am on a bucket of cancer med's so don't mind if I misunderstand.

You're 30!

It's fine, I tend to be vague about those sorts personal details, I can see why you'd think that. Doesn't say much for my writing skills though.

I care because they're my parents and I love them. We had a pretty good relationship before.
25-08-2015, 10:16 AM
(25-08-2015 10:07 AM)gnarlynewt Wrote:  It's fine, I tend to be vague about those sorts personal details, I can see why you'd think that. Doesn't say much for my writing skills though.

I care because they're my parents and I love them. We had a pretty good relationship before.

Yeah that sucks mate. But you are who you are and if they can't handle it, it's their problem not yours.

You're a rational intelligent man. That's what matters most.

My mother tried to kill me once. I was such a prick (Aussie smart arse kid) that she jumped on me and tried to strangle me. I got the fuck out and went back to the bush. I was about 11 or 12 or so. Don't really remember. Moved from Melbourne to the middle of nowhere in Australia and hunted I think. Pigs and roos. Or maybe I worked on a boat??? Time is all messed up in my mind.

Anyway I am rambling because of the med's. It just could be worse. You know?

Anyway, in my Aussie vernacular I am gonna say "Fuck them!".

I am gonna give you a rep point for being 30. And an atheist freethinker in a world of religious madness!

Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
25-08-2015, 10:18 AM
(25-08-2015 10:07 AM)gnarlynewt Wrote:  
(25-08-2015 09:59 AM)Banjo Wrote:  I am on a bucket of cancer med's so don't mind if I misunderstand.

You're 30!

It's fine, I tend to be vague about those sorts personal details, I can see why you'd think that. Doesn't say much for my writing skills though.

Both of my parents are religious nuts. My father was a southern baptist minister. They divorced later and remarried. Now my mother is a Pentecostal minister who is in Africa right now on a revival tour Rolleyes My father and his wife are Mormons now.

We don't talk often, and when we do go visit on a rare occasion for a few hours church inevitably slips into everything they say because it is their entire life. I just smile and nod politely and change the subject. They know I am "not religious" but do not know the extent to which I work against religion. We just avoid the subject of possible. Don't have much for advice, and wish you the best during this.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 2 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
25-08-2015, 10:31 AM (This post was last modified: 25-08-2015 10:55 AM by Mr. Boston.)
It can be a frustrating experience but at least the band-aid's been ripped off. In the long run that might end up being for the best. My mom's a retired Methodist minister and when she found out concretely that I was an atheist (I think she had suspected for years but never really asked) she was depressed for a little while but she eventually came around. It's been somehow harder on her that we're not baptizing our kids and raising them Christian; they also have Jewish heritage and we're not raising them in a synagogue either - but we intend to expose them to the core tenets of numerous religions and spiritual philosophies.

Anyway your parents probably feel pretty "lost" over all this, like they failed as parents somehow. I know my mom felt genuinely sad for me that I couldn't get the same comfort in the concept of a creator/overseer that she gets. I think after enough time went by that she eventually realized my rejection of unfounded claims of a supernatural realm actually point to her success as a parent. She taught me to be curious, to not be satisfied with incomplete or illogical answers, and to make up my own mind. Your parents may come around to that viewpoint too, that your skepticism means they raised you to be a seeker rather than a follower.
[+] 3 users Like Mr. Boston's post
25-08-2015, 10:37 AM
(25-08-2015 09:19 AM)gnarlynewt Wrote:  

I too grew up Fundamentalist, and like probably 2/3rds of the members here I can empathize with your plight. It's a tough place to be, but I think you'll find in the long run that your family will calm down about it unless they are just heinous people, in which case do you really need them in your life? (I stayed away from my folks, with a couple brief interludes, for a full decade, until my two siblings also stopped being Christian or talking to my folks, and they decided to dial back the crazy. Now, we're pretty cool.)

As for the "those were Catholics, not us", EVERY CHRISTIAN was Catholic back then, and the ones who left the Catholic church to form the Protestant movement did so because the Catholic doctrines were not biblical-literalist enough for them. (For an easy example, read Luther's 95 Theses.) In short, the conservative wing of the Catholic church is what became the Protestants.

Why does that matter? Because those conservative Christians immediately set about doing just as many bad things as the Catholic church did when they were a part of it. If someone says, "it was just the Catholics", then they are denying history.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson