Worthy Christian Forums

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 4.17 Average
29-03-2012, 08:56 PM
RE: Worthy Christian Forums
(29-03-2012 08:34 PM)gdemoss Wrote:  
(28-03-2012 07:37 PM)kineo Wrote:  Gary! Welcome! Thank you for coming and responding- and of course I want a dialogue. I'm glad you were willing to come by and have open conversation- I honestly did not expect that. I had figured that everyone had abandoned the thread and written us off.

I use the term god-speak to refer specifically to the style of speaking that prevails in Christian culture in the US today. It's not just the "amen"s and the "praise God"s, but a very verbose way of speaking that often adds little actual help. As I mentioned in a prior post, there is a lot of echo in the WCF thread with the message of "We really need to look at how we act as the message of Christ to non-believers!". But almost no one volunteering, "Hey, that thing I said was way off the mark" or "You know, I really ought to look again at how I treat gay people" or "Perhaps my preconceptions of atheists needs a little improvement." I think that much of the reason for the overreaction by WCF is due to preconception. Once you (in the general sense, not you specifically) learned that these people were atheists or associated with atheists- game over. Everything they said was then lambasted as dishonest. And that's just not the case- aside from the mathematician, who I think had apologized. Preconceived notions about who atheists are (liars, thieves, sinners, angry, pretentious little people who hate Christians and everything they stand for) resulted in the almost complete end of discussion. There were a few of you folks who are willing to try to look past their preconceived notions. As am I.

Once you step out of the Christian bubble, talking becomes much more relaxed, far less nuanced, and in my opinion- more fruitful. What you said in your post here in plain English only vaguely matches the way you said it in god-speak. But maybe that's because I've been out of the bubble for nearly 10 years now (though only an admitted atheist for the last year or so).

I have to say though, you're spot on about those in the church being the biggest enemies of themselves. One of the biggest reasons for my initial separation from the church was from rather lousy interactions with other Christians- most especially a leader who was looked highly upon while I was in the Master's Commission program. I'll spare you the details unless you actually care (in the thread on the WCF boards someone had specifically stated that they do not believe atheists stories about bad church experiences because they are mostly made up Shocking ).

Please, you'll have to forgive me- I haven't yet mastered the art of instantaneous travel from work to home. I'm working on it, but I've reached a ceiling in speed, above which travel becomes unsafe. Drinking Beverage
LOL, I wasn't talking about the time it was taking you to get back to me! Too funny. I didn't think you had a genuine desire to, but it appears that you may actually have and I have misunderstood what you were saying in your post. It is interesting to hear you say that you thought I was just using a lot of words to say nothing though as that truly is not the case at all. It is quite interesting to me to learn that many atheists here are former theists of some sort. I knew that all of the scripture that warns you could loose your faith wasn't wrong, yet they try to explain it away with the doctrines of men saying that you guys never really believed in the first place. Not true!

I had my own bad experience at churches. It didn't make me an atheist though because I was a believer long before I was a Christian. And long before I darkened the door of a church. My bad experiences with Pastors/teachers/Christians have only helped me to become more settled in my faith. These people actually give the bible more credibility because they are living out the prophecy contained in the bible about them.

Anyway, glad to make your acquaintance.

Gary
My apologies for misunderstanding, I got the impression that you were annoyed that I hadn't responded yet. Angel

For me personally, my bad church experiences were a major contributing factor for me distancing myself from church, but not the reason why I gave up my faith. That came much much later, and was more due to a realization that I couldn't mix evolution and Christianity like I had told myself I could. KC may disagree, but that was the first stepping stone for me... and I've only been more convinced the more I learn about the history of the Bible, the church, and pondered philosophical problems (in my own amateur way).
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like kineo's post
29-03-2012, 11:20 PM
(29-03-2012 02:19 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(29-03-2012 05:05 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  I know we've been portrayed as a bunch of feral creatures looking for people to troll simply for amusement but I promise you it isn't the case.

Please note that Hughsie does not speak for those of us who actually are feral creatures primarily interested in our own amusement. ... It ain't fire that's the devil's only friend, it's boredom.
IDLE MIND!!! Big Grin

(29-03-2012 03:30 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Heart Censored Heart Censored Heart Shocking Blink

Drinking Beverage
the faces after the last heart look a little traumatized Confused
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
30-03-2012, 06:50 AM
You peeps go over there and stir up shit, then have alla these strays follow you home... worse than kids. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like houseofcantor's post
30-03-2012, 05:01 PM
(29-03-2012 08:56 PM)kineo Wrote:  My apologies for misunderstanding, I got the impression that you were annoyed that I hadn't responded yet. Angel

This is the single most deadly hindrance to communication in forums. Way to easy to get the wrong impression of what is being said at any give time. I have been so guilty of this...so many times.

Gary
01-09-2012, 05:06 PM
(23-03-2012 12:17 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  As many of you will have noticed I started a thread yesterday about a quote on Egor's website from a Moderator at Worthy Christian Forums. This led me to read Egor's review of the place (which wasn't glowing to say the least), which led me to decide to make an account and see what the place is like for myself.

I've been joined in my little trip by our resident Calvinist KC to see just what the forum is like.

This thread is for me and KC to post what we think about the place and can serve as somewhere for people to suggest anything they think worth bringing up.

I also wanna mention that I didn't sign up to Worthy Christian Forums just to write about what it's like here. I signed up yesterday and KC suggested making this thread today.

EDIT - Lucradis and Erxomai have now also journeyed across. Lucradis is using a different username (see if you can find him Big Grin) and Erxomai is using the same name but pretending to be a raving fundie (I think).

Well I now appear to have been completely banned and had all my posts deleted but I'll leave this message for any Worthy Christian Forums members;

I was not on your forum trolling. Any of you who actually read my posts will know this. I was there for debate and to hear the opinions of the other side of the coin. It's a pity I've been banned as I had many insightful exchanges with atheists and theists alike and was looking forward to many more. Any of you who question my sincerity on your forum are misguided.

Any of you who want to hear my side (or who want to hear the other side of the atheist/theist debate as I do) feel free to sign up here and PM me, maybe then you will see that some of the things said about me were unfounded and unfair.

All the best, Hughsie.
Alan from Worthy Christian forums....Alan is such a winner concerning mods, he banned me for posting too many times (there rules don’t set a limit and he never accused me of spamming). I guess when Christians start making apologies for their god one should not respond, let their gods bury their dead god’s I say. Then he said the ban was permanent because he looked up Chase200mph and he said I made Christians look foolish. The irony was that I just got through telling him his first reason for banning me was a lie that he indeed was being dishonest. I have his Email Address if anyone want’s it…I should go back there and thank him for the complement “YOU make Christians seem foolish” but I cannot take the credit for making them seem foolish because they accomplish this all on their own….unless you want to count the help they get from their bible/s because there is nothing like quoting a collation of ignorant renderings to make oneself sound completely uninformed. I told him his dishonest was going to cost him because I would return to his forum without his permission…I really should go back in there and check on things….LOL! He is real serious about keeping people out and has banned a far section of my State…GOOD, that mean less traffic for his site. He says they (the forum) doesn’t need to be a gated community…..but he runs it as one so I guess this is but one more lie he needs to keep his wounded failing faith alive.
Postings from this forum are innocent and uneducated by far better than other Christian sites like God Hates Sinners. Now this site doesn’t have any protection from creating multiple accounts if you change your non-static IP….

Sorry if I seem full of myself and forgive for not introducing myself I am just a little happy to have found this forum and others that were treated as poorly as I was by the same deceiving pious Christians.
02-09-2012, 11:10 PM
(23-03-2012 12:17 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  As many of you will have noticed I started a thread yesterday about a quote on Egor's website from a Moderator at Worthy Christian Forums. This led me to read Egor's review of the place (which wasn't glowing to say the least), which led me to decide to make an account and see what the place is like for myself.

I've been joined in my little trip by our resident Calvinist KC to see just what the forum is like.

This thread is for me and KC to post what we think about the place and can serve as somewhere for people to suggest anything they think worth bringing up.

I also wanna mention that I didn't sign up to Worthy Christian Forums just to write about what it's like here. I signed up yesterday and KC suggested making this thread today.

EDIT - Lucradis and Erxomai have now also journeyed across. Lucradis is using a different username (see if you can find him Big Grin) and Erxomai is using the same name but pretending to be a raving fundie (I think).

Well I now appear to have been completely banned and had all my posts deleted but I'll leave this message for any Worthy Christian Forums members;

I was not on your forum trolling. Any of you who actually read my posts will know this. I was there for debate and to hear the opinions of the other side of the coin. It's a pity I've been banned as I had many insightful exchanges with atheists and theists alike and was looking forward to many more. Any of you who question my sincerity on your forum are misguided.

Any of you who want to hear my side (or who want to hear the other side of the atheist/theist debate as I do) feel free to sign up here and PM me, maybe then you will see that some of the things said about me were unfounded and unfair.

All the best, Hughsie.

Hmm, I might just have to sign up there. If I do, I will pose as a christian losing my faith. Maybe it will get through to some people if I do it that way and possibly take a while before I get banned.
[+] 1 user Likes Birdguy1979's post
02-09-2012, 11:32 PM
Ok, I am in this little game now. I doubt they will spot me. Who knows though. Maybe I will be banned soon. I am also under a different user name.
03-09-2012, 12:11 AM
(29-03-2012 01:31 PM)J0Belle Wrote:  Are we sure they ARE Christians?

Look what one of their own said.

"

What can anyone expect?

Look how some of those here are allowed to treat Christians who disagree with them. I personally am frequently bullied here. If Worthy is an example of the way Christians act, I don't want to be one.

Fortunately , I have the Word to know this is NOT how Christians should act. "

Oh yeah, they are christians alright. The most devout christians in my family act this way. They have their noses so deeply buried in their bibles that they don't see anything else.
03-09-2012, 01:28 AM
Holy crap. I am posing as someone losing faith and so I am asking tough questions. The responces have been the same things over and over again. They talk about their walk in faith and say this world can never be a paradise. You can pose many questions and still they won't think.
03-09-2012, 01:47 AM
(03-09-2012 01:28 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  Holy crap. I am posing as someone losing faith and so I am asking tough questions. The responces have been the same things over and over again. They talk about their walk in faith and say this world can never be a paradise. You can pose many questions and still they won't think.
I was thinking of doing that but looking at the forum names "praise board", for instance, makes me rather sick to my stomach so I decided to hold off. Let me know how it goes.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.