Would Abiogenesis kill religion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-05-2014, 03:07 PM
This is science question and how it relates to the survival of religion but I'm plunking it down in the atheism/theism section 'cause I do things like that. Tongue Mods, change it if you feel inclined.

If abiogenesis were to be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt do you think religions would finally die off? Many religions accept evolution but still believe that the start of life began with god, especially since abiogenesis hasn't been proven....which they love to throw in atheist faces. (pisses me off, too) I'm probably being way to optimistic here but unproven abiogenesis is almost like the linchpin that keeps religion together. Well, there are other things too, like that fuzzy warm feeling religion brings people.

And for those who are way more scientifically inclined than I am, will abiogenesis be proven in the near future? I did read about the Miller-Urey experiment but from what I understand it wasn't conclusive. There's also this from the Scripps...

http://www.scripps.edu/news/press/2009/010809.html

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-05-2014, 03:12 PM
RE: Would Abiogenesis kill religion?
No, I don't think it would. After all, here we are, several thousand years after humans figured out that the Earth is spherical, and there are still people who genuinely believe that our planet is flat, based on the Bible.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 7 users Like Vosur's post
27-05-2014, 03:13 PM
I doubt it... They'd just morph their shape shifting god into something even more vague and unfalsifyable.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Sam's post
27-05-2014, 03:15 PM
No. An omnipotent being could create an abiogenesis as a way to perpetuate life. Drinking Beverage

Shoot. Did I just discuss something religious?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 4 users Like kingschosen's post
27-05-2014, 03:16 PM
I wouldnt say religion as a whole would be eliminated but I can see many monotheisms that would be greatly wounded, buddhism will be ok IMHO. I am of the perspective that unless we evolve as a species to stop being afraid of death or actually develop a cure for aging many religious memes will continue to plague us.

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
[+] 1 user Likes djkamilo's post
27-05-2014, 03:17 PM (This post was last modified: 27-05-2014 06:09 PM by Mathilda.)
We're getting a very good idea about abiogenesis. I've been trying to figure out the thermodynamic requirements for it to take place myself. It will definitely happen within my lifetime that I have no doubt. But like with the laws of thermodynamics, with the theory of evolution, quantum mechanics, the history of the cosmos since the big bang, it all takes time and effort to learn and normally gets bastardised by people wanting to find reasons to believe in their woo. The gap is already exceedingly small for a god to exist in but it doesn't stop people wanting to believe and making up hokey arguments based on pseudo science.

But the better scientists understand a subject the easier it becomes to communicate the essential ideas and for it to become common knowledge. That more than anything will sound the death knell for widespread religious belief.
[+] 4 users Like Mathilda's post
27-05-2014, 03:19 PM
No, I learned about abiogenesis and how it works and the experiments that took place to prove the hypothesis from a christian website.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
27-05-2014, 03:19 PM
(27-05-2014 03:12 PM)Vosur Wrote:  No, I don't think it would. After all, here we are, several thousand years after humans figured out that the Earth is spherical, and there are still people who genuinely believe that our planet is flat, based on the Bible.

It would become "biblical abiogenesis."

"See! God created man from dirt: Science proves it! And abiogenesis then evolution were the bona-fide method of His Creation, and science shows God exists, as we can even view the Biblically accurate method of his creation!"

Or something to that effect.

Fingers crossed for sometime in the next 1000 years after it becomes accepted science.

How long did it take the Catholics to accept evolution, again?

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
[+] 5 users Like rampant.a.i.'s post
27-05-2014, 03:20 PM
(27-05-2014 03:15 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  No. An omnipotent being could create an abiogenesis as a way to perpetuate life. Drinking Beverage

Shoot. Did I just discuss something religious?

Meh, we don't care you don't go full creationist on us, nor full jesus.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
27-05-2014, 03:21 PM
(27-05-2014 03:20 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  Meh, we don't care you don't go full creationist on us, nor full jesus.

Still.

Not gonna do it.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]