Would Abiogenesis kill religion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-05-2014, 08:04 AM
RE: Would Abiogenesis kill religion?
(28-05-2014 07:49 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(28-05-2014 07:34 AM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  They are already on abiogenesis. My inference is that they won't care.
But, talking about abiogeneisis, we've found a predecessor to DNA that would be simpler, but be able to form easier. It's called TNA. No, not T&A, TNA.

T&A is something WHOLLY different.

That's why I said it wasn't T&A! Angry
Tongue

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-05-2014, 08:10 AM
No, like others pointed out, fundamentalists would ignore, misrepresent or somehow discount it as just another part of the global scientific conspiracy against their god(s), and liberal believers would say that is the way their god(s) chose to get life started. Heads they win, tails they don't lose... Dodgy

Or they'd just compartmentalize the way scientifically literate believers already do regarding contradictions between holy books and science.

Also, even after figuring out abiogenesis, there will still be the question of why there is something rather than nothing. What triggered the big bang? We don't know, so believers will maintain that it must have been caused by their preferred "magical, anthropomorphic immortal."*

*Aron Ra's god definition

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
28-05-2014, 08:11 AM (This post was last modified: 28-05-2014 10:20 AM by Can_of_Beans.)
(28-05-2014 08:04 AM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  
(28-05-2014 07:49 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  T&A is something WHOLLY different.

That's why I said it wasn't T&A! Angry
Tongue

While it's not the same thing, I'm also fairly certain T&A is the reason most of exist. Thumbsup

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 1 user Likes Can_of_Beans's post
28-05-2014, 08:28 AM
I had to google what T&A was, Facepalm
Funny

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
28-05-2014, 08:40 AM
(28-05-2014 08:28 AM)djkamilo Wrote:  I had to google what T&A was, Facepalm
Funny

Fun search results, huh?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
28-05-2014, 08:45 AM
(28-05-2014 08:40 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(28-05-2014 08:28 AM)djkamilo Wrote:  I had to google what T&A was, Facepalm
Funny

Fun search results, huh?

Yeah i am glad it wasnt pictures cuz im at work.

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
28-05-2014, 08:50 AM
(28-05-2014 07:25 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(28-05-2014 07:17 AM)Cephalotus Wrote:  The only thing that will kill religion is humanity collectively choosing love and rationality.

Nope. I'm a sitting example contrary to your example.

Yeeeeeeah, no. Drinking Beverage

You keep saying it, but it is just part of your delusion.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
28-05-2014, 08:52 AM
(28-05-2014 07:49 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(28-05-2014 07:34 AM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  They are already on abiogenesis. My inference is that they won't care.
But, talking about abiogeneisis, we've found a predecessor to DNA that would be simpler, but be able to form easier. It's called TNA. No, not T&A, TNA.

T&A is something WHOLLY different.

Yeah, because T&A leads to biogenesis. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
28-05-2014, 09:40 AM
(27-05-2014 06:55 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  The process will happen, probably fairly soon.
But to answer your question ... if you think so, you underestimate the delusional, and the abilities of even very intelligent people to compartmentalize their cognitive dissonances.

When I have time I'm going to watch this as it sounds interesting. But Jesus H Christ, why the hell can't scientists learn how to dress themselves. Did he ever look at himself in a mirror at any point in the day? His clothes are hanging off his body.

I mean, look at him. v v v v

Except for Neil Degrasse Tyson and a couple of others, most scientists have a problem using the media to the best advantage and communicating effectively to the average American and when you dress like a shlump it really doesn't help things.

Rant over.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
28-05-2014, 01:32 PM
(28-05-2014 08:10 AM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  No, like others pointed out, fundamentalists would ignore, misrepresent or somehow discount it as just another part of the global scientific conspiracy against their god(s), and liberal believers would say that is the way their god(s) chose to get life started. Heads they win, tails they don't lose... Dodgy

Or they'd just compartmentalize the way scientifically literate believers already do regarding contradictions between holy books and science.

Also, even after figuring out abiogenesis, there will still be the question of why there is something rather than nothing. What triggered the big bang? We don't know, so believers will maintain that it must have been caused by their preferred "magical, anthropomorphic immortal."*

*Aron Ra's god definition

Never heard of TNA...

Just because YOU believe in fairies doesn't mean anybody else should.