Would Abiogenesis kill religion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-05-2014, 02:38 PM
RE: Would Abiogenesis kill religion?
(28-05-2014 01:32 PM)Bible Belt Brawler Wrote:  Never heard of TNA...

I believe it stands for Total Nonstop Action Wrestling...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_Nonst..._Wrestling

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Can_of_Beans's post
28-05-2014, 03:30 PM
As I was heading towards in another thread... Most explanations for things in the bible is 'magic'.

The bible says God created the earth but it doesn't say how. He pretty much clicked his fingers and it appeared. No method is mentioned, no process or specifics.. So it doesn't matter what evidence or proof we have for abiogenesis, the lack of mentioning how God actually did it means that he'll fit nicely into the idea that he caused abiogenisis to happen.
[+] 1 user Likes TheStraightener's post
28-05-2014, 03:35 PM
(28-05-2014 08:50 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(28-05-2014 07:25 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Nope. I'm a sitting example contrary to your example.

Yeeeeeeah, no. Drinking Beverage

You keep saying it, but it is just part of your delusion.

[Image: 20130201031113!Taylorlautner.gif]

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
28-05-2014, 04:03 PM
(28-05-2014 01:32 PM)Bible Belt Brawler Wrote:  
(28-05-2014 08:10 AM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  No, like others pointed out, fundamentalists would ignore, misrepresent or somehow discount it as just another part of the global scientific conspiracy against their god(s), and liberal believers would say that is the way their god(s) chose to get life started. Heads they win, tails they don't lose... Dodgy

Or they'd just compartmentalize the way scientifically literate believers already do regarding contradictions between holy books and science.

Also, even after figuring out abiogenesis, there will still be the question of why there is something rather than nothing. What triggered the big bang? We don't know, so believers will maintain that it must have been caused by their preferred "magical, anthropomorphic immortal."*

*Aron Ra's god definition

Never heard of TNA...

TNA is Threose Nucleic Acid, it's essentially artificial DNA, but instead of having DNA's deoxyribose sugar backbone, TNA has a backbone comprised of threose sugars.
It works the same way as DNA in terms of storage of genetic material and base-pairing, and is apparently capable of evolving.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 3 users Like Free Thought's post
28-05-2014, 07:20 PM
(28-05-2014 04:03 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(28-05-2014 01:32 PM)Bible Belt Brawler Wrote:  Never heard of TNA...

TNA is Threose Nucleic Acid, it's essentially artificial DNA, but instead of having DNA's deoxyribose sugar backbone, TNA has a backbone comprised of threose sugars.
It works the same way as DNA in terms of storage of genetic material and base-pairing, and is apparently capable of evolving.

That is amazing! How long since its discovery?

Just because YOU believe in fairies doesn't mean anybody else should.
[+] 1 user Likes Bible Belt Brawler's post
29-05-2014, 12:38 AM
(28-05-2014 07:20 PM)Bible Belt Brawler Wrote:  
(28-05-2014 04:03 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  TNA is Threose Nucleic Acid, it's essentially artificial DNA, but instead of having DNA's deoxyribose sugar backbone, TNA has a backbone comprised of threose sugars.

That is amazing! How long since its discovery?

Unfortunately, I can't find an exact year for when TNA was first synthesised.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
30-05-2014, 11:28 AM
(29-05-2014 12:38 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(28-05-2014 07:20 PM)Bible Belt Brawler Wrote:  That is amazing! How long since its discovery?

Unfortunately, I can't find an exact year for when TNA was first synthesised.

Bummer. Well, shouldn't be long till abiogenesis is discovered. No less than 5 years, no more than 100.

30-05-2014, 07:07 PM
(30-05-2014 11:28 AM)Bible Belt Brawler Wrote:  
(29-05-2014 12:38 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Unfortunately, I can't find an exact year for when TNA was first synthesised.

Bummer. Well, shouldn't be long till abiogenesis is discovered. No less than 5 years, no more than 100.

Well if you want to get really picky about details, abiogenesis has already been discovered.
How it happened is what is yet to be confirmed.
What we do know is that in the right conditions, molecules necessary for life as we know it can form through natural processes. We just need to be able to replicate a self-replicating, naturally formed molecule.

[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
31-05-2014, 07:25 PM
(30-05-2014 07:07 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(30-05-2014 11:28 AM)Bible Belt Brawler Wrote:  Bummer. Well, shouldn't be long till abiogenesis is discovered. No less than 5 years, no more than 100.

Well if you want to get really picky about details, abiogenesis has already been discovered.
What we do know is that in the right conditions, molecules necessary for life as we know it can form through natural processes. We just need to be able to replicate a self-replicating, naturally formed molecule.

You had a quick wit to catch that slip. In my enthusiasm about topics, I can be a little imprecise at times, but I'm working on that.

[+] 1 user Likes Bible Belt Brawler's post
31-05-2014, 07:55 PM
(31-05-2014 07:25 PM)Bible Belt Brawler Wrote:  
(30-05-2014 07:07 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Well if you want to get really picky about details, abiogenesis has already been discovered.

You had a quick wit to catch that slip. In my enthusiasm about topics, I can be a little imprecise at times, but I'm working on that.

It's not quick wit so much as some pseudo-OCD anal retentiveness thing I have, especially in terms of detail. The nigh-uncontrollable habit of correcting or adjusting people has earned me few friends, I can tell you.