Would Finding Alien Life Change Religious Philosophies?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-10-2014, 06:44 PM
RE: Would Finding Alien Life Change Religious Philosophies?
(09-10-2014 06:16 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  
(09-10-2014 06:12 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  First they would deny it until it became untenable then they would find a quote from their mad libs book and claim they were correctly prophesied.

If microbial life were discovered, I'd bet their first response would be "but that's not life Hobo " .... Yet somehow a tiny bundle of cells in my body without consciousness does qualify as "life" Dodgy

Good point.

I sincerely hope we find extraterrestrial life during my lifetime, that would be so amazing!

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-10-2014, 06:52 PM
They might say it was part of god's plan that they reveal themselves now. God knew all along.

I'd like to see intelligent life arrive here and tell us they've been watching for hundreds of years, but were afraid to make contact because most of us still believe in ancient myths and they didn't think we could handle it.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
09-10-2014, 06:52 PM
(09-10-2014 06:44 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(09-10-2014 06:16 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  If microbial life were discovered, I'd bet their first response would be "but that's not life Hobo " .... Yet somehow a tiny bundle of cells in my body without consciousness does qualify as "life" Dodgy

Good point.

I sincerely hope we find extraterrestrial life during my lifetime, that would be so amazing!

Agreed!! Big Grin anyone know how our giant drill for Europa is coming along?

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
09-10-2014, 07:06 PM
(09-10-2014 06:52 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  
(09-10-2014 06:44 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Good point.

Agreed!! Big Grin anyone know how our giant drill for Europa is coming along?

I heard Nasa has hired a group of dentists as consultants. Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
09-10-2014, 07:10 PM
(09-10-2014 07:06 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(09-10-2014 06:52 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Agreed!! Big Grin anyone know how our giant drill for Europa is coming along?

I heard Nasa has hired a group of dentists as consultants. Tongue

There's a thread for that sort of thing you know Tongue

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 2 users Like Smercury44's post
09-10-2014, 07:17 PM
(09-10-2014 06:52 PM)pablo Wrote:  They might say it was part of god's plan that they reveal themselves now. God knew all along.

I'd like to see intelligent life arrive here and tell us they've been watching for hundreds of years, but were afraid to make contact because most of us still believe in ancient myths and they didn't think we could handle it.

Or they were wanting to blow us up with a Q 36 Immodium Space Modulator

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
09-10-2014, 07:21 PM
The Dalai Lama will tell the aliens to pour gasoline on themselves and strike a match.

Pat Robertson would demand that they not engage in gay sex.

The Pope would tell them that only he can fuck the altar boys.

The Grand Mufti would tell them that allah says they don't exist.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
10-10-2014, 07:22 AM
Most people know I have a de-emphasized view of humanity's importance in relation to Christianity... so I consider it very likely that there is other life out there... whether or not they can be "saved" or not is not in my realm of knowledge. So, I can't say one way or another.

Mathematically speaking, though, it would be ludicrous to say that there is no other sentient life in the universe.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
10-10-2014, 07:26 AM
I saw a guy on another forum recently... he is a hardcore YEC mind you, that said he wouldn't accept it and doesn't believe there is other life because the bible doesn't mention it.

And scoffed at the idea of angels being "life" so I'm not sure what angels are then... and he tried to argue that not finding life on the moon, venus, or mars was evidence he is right.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
10-10-2014, 07:41 AM
(10-10-2014 07:22 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  whether or not they can be "saved" or not is not in my realm of knowledge. So, I can't say one way or another.

I would imagine one *would* fit in a piggy-bank. Fer sure.
I wouldn't save them too long tho.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.