Would Finding Alien Life Change Religious Philosophies?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-10-2014, 10:53 AM
RE: Would Finding Alien Life Change Religious Philosophies?
The aliens would wipe out all the irrational thinkers and life would be peachy.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-10-2014, 11:48 AM
(09-10-2014 06:12 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  First they would deny it until it became untenable then they would find a quote from their mad libs book and claim they were correctly prophesied.

That's almost exactly what I was going to post!

Except I was going to use "big book of multiple choice". But I like "mad libs" better.
[+] 1 user Likes Simon Moon's post
11-10-2014, 02:02 PM
Cosmo-Christers..
11-10-2014, 02:38 PM
(10-10-2014 04:17 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  One of the stories in Ray Bradbury's Martian Chronicles actually explored this theme. I don't remember how successful that particular story was, but The Martian Chronicles in general was an excellent book.

The story is titled The Man found in his Illustrated Man short story compilation, one of my favorite books.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
11-10-2014, 04:15 PM
One of your favourite books is by Ray Bradbury eh? Maybe I leave that alone. Smile
My reference "cosmic-Christer" comes from Arthur C Clarke.
Ain't I just exuding smugness right now.
12-10-2014, 07:45 PM
In my born-again-Catholic family, they give their god credit for everything good and/or non-harmful. I once asked my transparently religious mother what it would mean to her if aliens were discovered and she didn't even bat an eye and said, "God made them, too." I didn't even bother to dole out any counter from the bible because I knew she would just cover her ears and pray.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-10-2014, 08:02 PM
If we discover life somewhere the first thought religious people will have will involve trying to get some missionaries to their planet to save their misguided alien souls.

'Murican Canadian
12-10-2014, 08:32 PM
(12-10-2014 08:02 PM)yakherder Wrote:  If we discover life somewhere the first thought religious people will have will involve trying to get some missionaries to their planet to save their misguided alien souls.

Naw. It wouldn't matter. Because apparently Adams sin screwed up the whole universe but Jesus sacrifice only counts for earthlings. Poor aliens never had a chance...
13-10-2014, 03:32 PM (This post was last modified: 13-10-2014 03:44 PM by dirtstar.)
It would completely annihilate all religious beliefs in my opinion. Not just the centric ideals but every one of them. The reason will be clear... it does not take a God to create life. Given time and the right circumstances the cosmos is a nursery for life. I guess I should address the completely crazy people that will always find some ridiculous cult to follow but is it not clear these types will always exist? At some point we should just exclude them from conversation.

But unfortunately I side with Stephen Hawking here. Life on earth, at least, when observed is fairly unforgiving. If this is a version of nature that is synonymous with the nature of the cosmos then we can only hope for merciful visitors considering they'll own a weapon arsenal much more threatening than we will be able to defend ourselves with.

It's nothing new really. People have been fearing an attack from outer space since the 1950's and they would be correct in fearing such a thing. If you think ISIS is bad, wait until the fundamentalist religious alien beings from another galaxy decide to "pop in" for a few. I wonder what they feel they have to do to secure a spot in their Holy kingdom? Suicide bombs and be headings at least end your suffering... let's just put it that way.
13-10-2014, 04:03 PM
(11-10-2014 02:38 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(10-10-2014 04:17 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  One of the stories in Ray Bradbury's Martian Chronicles actually explored this theme. I don't remember how successful that particular story was, but The Martian Chronicles in general was an excellent book.

The story is titled The Man found in his Illustrated Man short story compilation, one of my favorite books.

I had forgotten about that one. That's a good story, too (Bradbury in his early years was almost always good), but it's not the one I was thinking of. In my story, two priests were arguing about whether Christianity and salvation was for humanity alone, or whether it also extended to alien races like the Martians. One of the priests decided to proselytize the Martians. I don't remember the outcome, but the name of the story was The Fire Balloons, and it was in The Martian Chronicles.