Would Harold Camping have destroyed the world if he could have?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-06-2011, 12:03 PM (This post was last modified: 03-06-2011 12:09 PM by myst32.)
Would Harold Camping have destroyed the world if he could have?
Many moderate Christians I have spoken with in the past will take the stance, if pressed, that religion, even if it is false, should be allowed to continue because it is a source of comfort and essentially “harmless”. Many Christians that I know and others that posted on YouTube thought that Harold Camping’s doomsday date was laughable. Of course each had different reasons why it was laughable, with those reasons themselves being laughable. What I found interesting, and others may have also, was nobody seemed to ask the important questions. If Harold Camping had the power to turn this into a self fulfilling prophecy would he “pull the trigger”. Most people who I read and watched found the guy either funny or stupid or both. However, I would like to pose a simple thought experiment… If Harold Camping, in a day of high tech and a real ability to wipe us all out, could (lets say he was President)… what is the chance that he would? How far of a thought leap does one have to make to go from a prophet to the “servant” that brings about the end? I am sure I am not the only person that is concered about these "prophets".

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-06-2011, 12:25 PM
RE: Would Harold Camping have destroyed the world if he could have?
I didn't watch the youtube video, but to answer your question- definitely possible. It would not be the first time in history some delusional extremist has attempted mass murder.

He isn't completely harmless even now. I know personally one account (my in-laws cousin) who committed suicide in suspicion of the rapture days before. The mind (and mind games) are powerful, and is a weapon in itself.
03-06-2011, 12:54 PM
Yeah, I had also heard that several people had their pets put down. Sad

There was quite a bit of laughing about it (his prediction)... Even I got caught up in it. But in the end when you stop giggling you get hit by the brick wall that these people are only funny because they have no power to affect us all.
03-06-2011, 07:52 PM
Of course not. This guy pulled this scam back in 1994 in September and made tons of money off it. This was all just like the faith healers. People taking advantage of others to pull in some quick cash.
03-06-2011, 10:05 PM
Firstly, I think it important to recall that Camping is not a certified minister. He's not ordained, he's not attended seminary, he's not member of any Fundamentalist organization. He's a con man at the pulpit fleecing sheep while there's still time. And given he's in his 80's, time is short.

He's atheist. As demonstrated by his lies for these past two centuries. In 1994 and in 2011. If he believed his Bible was truly the word of a god and he feared Hell, he wouldn't earn it by the book as a charlatan speaking in false tongues so as to unsure his damnation.

He carries a Bible, which interestingly enough features only "Bible" on the front cover, because "Holy" has been removed. (very telling) And he pronounces doomsday scenarios that afford him public attention like unto those authors of the "Left Behind" series, only he's not talented enough to author his own fiction so he simply uses someone elses. The Bible.
I knew a handyman who was a thief and a liar. He'd steal the hairs off his own dead father, he was that low life. He grew a beard, no mustache, so as to appear as if he were Amish. So that people would trust him, when he sought out work.
I knew another man who put a cross on every truck in his fleet, when he opened a scrap yard. He robbed people in that business and died rich. He said he put the crosses on his fleet because people trust in the lord and they automatically trust in any business that implies they do too.
I even knew another handyman who's business card had a cross on it. He'd charge double and give half the service. And if no one was home when he was doing the work, he helped himself to a peek in everything in their house. And if there was something valuable, and hidden away so as not to be missed right away, it would be found missing eventually. But by then, "praise jesus" , he was long gone and proof it was he who was the thief, would be hard to come by.

I knew these people because my dad knew them. He was an entrepreneur and respected that old adage; keep your friends close, but your enemies closer.

Camping demonstrates he's a fraud, because he doesn't know the book he brandishes so as to garner the trust of the religious and the gullible. He bilks the same kind of people that he seeks out to prey upon, as do those unconscionable contractors I mentioned. Folks easily led by symbols and implications one is a man of god.
When those who aren't so naive know that the Bible, a book Camping is sorely ignorant of understand that if Camping had ever read it he'd know that the Bible says no man knows the day or hour of the Rapture.

So Harold's prophesying is reaching, if taken at all seriously, the lowest common denominator of sheep. Terrified, sad, miserable, hating this life can't wait till god judges all the same people they do and finds them damnable, confident they'll see heaven, followers. He makes money pandering to ignorance. He's robbing people, because they are led to believe he's worth paying attention to. And in truth, they're ready to get out of this world that obviously their faith doesn't comfort them enough to live in till they meet a natural death, anyway. It's so bad they are ready to accept any promise of an out they can accept, without dying to reach the exit. And of course, their elevator is going up. While all those they can't stand to live with, they're certain, are going down.

As for religious prophets as a whole. They can be dangerous. Jim Jones is one of those who will go down in history as a charismatic, psychotic who was responsible for the death of hundreds of men, women and children. The Hale Bop Cult Guru, who's name isn't worth remembering, is another. David Koresh, is one more.
However, they're all trumped by Jesus Christ.
The countless lives, oceans of blood, retardation of cultures, civilizations, science, social politics that has occurred because what was a real man, a radical Hebrew Rabbi executed for Blasphemy, has been transformed into the fictional demigod by ancient Roman politics so that the great empire would insure it ruled the whole person and as such, the whole world.
Slaughter the competition and enslave whoever is left. And today, the majority of the world population are Christian.

So yes, Prophets are dangerous. And religion is a virus.World history proves, it's not harmless. It's genocidal. Undecided
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like GassyKitten's post