Would Heaven even be worth it?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-02-2016, 08:48 PM
Would Heaven even be worth it?
Hello fellow heathens,
I'm curious if you guys have asked this question before. I'm certain most have, and if enjoy your input. I've often wondered, why does Heaven sound so enticing to Christians? I mean, what exactly sounds so great about spending eternity doing nothing but worshipping a monarch? In all honesty, I can't think of anything that I would want to do FOREVER, but certainly not kissing some cosmic tyrant's ass. When my wife was younger, she would ask her church deacon mother questions about heaven, and she told her things like there's no marriage in heaven, and that everyone would just be happy all the time. I know it's a moot point, considering it's all fantasy, but for arguments sake, lets concede that heaven is real. If we have none of the things that make THIS life beautiful and worthwhile in heaven, how could that be desirable? If we lose the capabailty to feel deep emotions in heaven, other than ignorant bliss, does that not mean we also lose the very parts of us that make us who we are? Even when I followed the narrative and went along believing in God (somewhat, anyway), I was still a deep-thinking person who dealt with depression, often cause by a deep-seated empathy for others and their suffering. As weird as it might sound, I like that part of me. Not because it's ideal, but because it's me. I feel as if most Christians always dutifully preach away and "dive in to the scriptures", but never ask themselves what heaven would be like, realistically (again, moot point, since they are not realistic). Thoughts?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes EppurSiMuove's post
22-02-2016, 08:51 PM
RE: Would Heaven even be worth it?
I find most christians I know dont think of it as an eternity of just kissing gods ass. To hear them describe it heaven is kind of like just being here on earth, but with nothing bad ever happening, or one big party where they will see all their dogs and family again.

Do I think heaven would be worth it? Hell no. How can you be happy when you know people are suffering for eternity, people you love. If you stop caring for some reason you arent really you anymore, and thats not heaven either. So fuck it.
[+] 6 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
22-02-2016, 08:55 PM
You guys, you guys....
What if we're already in heaven right now, and it's just a lot shittier than we ever could have imagined Ohmy
[Image: 0d41808f60af8871fa122b3b0f37ab1b.gif]

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 6 users Like cactus's post
22-02-2016, 08:56 PM
I never really got the heaven thing either. If everything is all hunky-dorey all the time, things cease to be precious to us.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
22-02-2016, 09:00 PM
I am looking forward to what the great "angelic doctor" Thomas Aquinas, said of heaven ... where my joy is increased by being able to see my enemies suffer in hell. Thumbsup

Facepalm

"Wherefore in order that the happiness of the saints may be more delightful to them and that they may render more copious thanks to God for it, they are allowed to see perfectly the sufferings of the damned."
http://www.newadvent.org/summa/5094.htm

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
22-02-2016, 09:01 PM
(22-02-2016 08:55 PM)cactus Wrote:  You guys, you guys....
What if we're already in heaven right now, and it's just a lot shittier than we ever could have imagined Ohmy
[Image: 0d41808f60af8871fa122b3b0f37ab1b.gif]

Duuuude, that's some heavy stuff... Consider

Now quit hoggin' the bud, and pass the joint! Smokin
[+] 1 user Likes EppurSiMuove's post
22-02-2016, 09:01 PM
Heaven, no. Exist forever and can't fuck, drink alcohol, do drugs, eat chocolate or seafood or have pets... FTS. Sounds like hell to me.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 3 users Like Heatheness's post
22-02-2016, 09:05 PM
(22-02-2016 09:01 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  Heaven, no. Exist forever and can't fuck, drink alcohol, do drugs, eat chocolate or seafood or have pets... FTS. Sounds like hell to me.

Umm... All dogs go to heaven. Duhh. Lol
22-02-2016, 09:05 PM
(22-02-2016 09:00 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I am looking forward to what the great "angelic doctor" Thomas Aquinas, said of heaven ... where my joy is increased by being able to see my enemies suffer in hell. Thumbsup

Facepalm

"Wherefore in order that the happiness of the saints may be more delightful to them and that they may render more copious thanks to God for it, they are allowed to see perfectly the sufferings of the damned."
http://www.newadvent.org/summa/5094.htm

And those Christees just love Aquinas.

Fuckheads. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
22-02-2016, 09:12 PM
Heaven: An eternity singing the praises of the bastard who consigned everybody who isn't there to eternal torment and loving every minute of it because you don't have a choice.

Don't worry, contrary to the adverts it isn't forever:

- In an infinitely large universe, anything that can happen will happen.
- Heaven is infinitely large. It is eternal.
- It is possible to Fall from Grace. Lucifer and friends did it.
- Sooner or later you will manage to piss off the big baby in the sky and he'll send you to eternal damnation.
- It is not possible to Ascend from Hell. Jesus doesn't count what with being god more or less.

So in the end we're all going to hell. The "lucky" ones get to see what paradise looked like first to make their torment that much sweeter.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 2 users Like Paleophyte's post