Would Heaven even be worth it?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-02-2016, 03:37 PM
RE: Would Heaven even be worth it?
(22-02-2016 10:05 PM)Anjele Wrote:  As a kid I pictured the tales of heaven as waondering around on clouds running into people who had died before me and those who would die after.

I didn't have anything else figured out other than it sounded boring. Hanging around waiting for people to die.

No thanks. Undecided

As a kid, I had it all figured out. I had spotted the glaring flaw in this whole dying and going to heaven business. I used to pray for immortality. Theology and I have never gotten along well.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Paleophyte's post
23-02-2016, 08:06 PM
My guess is, like most of their beliefs, they don't think to much about the details. The biggest pro they see, without thinking to hard (that's they key to the whole religion), is they get to keep on "being". They're scared to death of dying and this is the easiest, spoon fed solution for immortality.

That's why these spineless sheeple shit their pants over every half cocked claim of near death experiences where somebody sees their loved ones in Heaven and Jeebus braids their ass hairs.
23-02-2016, 08:28 PM
Xtian heaven????

You mean hanging out with Jeffy Falwell, Tammy Fay Baker and that sort of scum for eternity?????

Fuck that.....

Flying Spaghetti Monster heaven has a beer volcano and a stripper factory.....................

Tell me where YOU'D rather go????

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
24-02-2016, 01:20 AM
The believers in heaven could not possibly genuinely believe in it else they would devise every possible means of getting there soonest. But they don't; they hang around here and mope when someone does finally depart for it.

As to the injunction against suicide as an acceptable means of transportation, human beings have demonstrated astonishing rationalization and cleverness at bending neatly around the sharp corners of every rule ever decreed, so that injunction would be no barrier to someone determined to reach that "better place" with credentials intact.

Finally, keep in mind that the exceptionally popular best selling "Left Behind" series devoted the entirety of its narrative to the people who didn't make it - for the very excellent reason that their lives and adventures are far more interesting than the lives of those already in heaven. That fact alone does more to discredit the heaven fantasy than any other, to my eye anyway.
[+] 3 users Like Airportkid's post
24-02-2016, 10:34 AM
(22-02-2016 09:21 PM)cactus Wrote:  
(22-02-2016 09:12 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  It is not possible to Ascend from Hell. Jesus doesn't count what with being god more or less.

Well to be fair, Jesus didn't really go "to" hell. He just kind of rolled down the doors of his air-conditioned limousine and laughed at everyone as he passed by.

Actually, he did go to Hell. Properly.

It's an old, old Christian myth called "The Harrowing of Hell", dating back to at least the earliest days of Anglo-Saxon conversion. It's explicitly mentioned in "The Dream of the Rood", for example.

Jesus' death on the cross was followed by his immediate descent to Hell, whereupon he stormed the obsidian gates and released all the good souls that Lucifer was keeping wrongly imprisoned there. Jesus versus Satan, no holds barred, three nights only, in the ultimate throwdown for the souls of the faithful.

The modern church tends to downplay it, because the image of Jesus as a warrior exemplar isn't so much in vogue any more - not to mention the implications of God actively allowing the souls of good people, people explicitly deserving of Heaven, to be taken into Hell. But still, originally, Jesus wasn't so much Thatcher in a van as he was Rambo in a POW camp.

It's a shame that the modern church has sort of swept it under the rug and watered it down so much. I always thought it was one of the cooler parts of Christian mythology.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
24-02-2016, 10:41 AM
(22-02-2016 08:56 PM)pablo Wrote:  I never really got the heaven thing either. If everything is all hunky-dorey all the time, things cease to be precious to us.

My mother at 90 years old wants to be reunited with her mother who died when she was 12. But what if her mother wants to be reunited with her mother etc for 88 generations. Sitting on an invisible cloud strumming on an inaudible harp for ever and fucking ever, not me!
24-02-2016, 10:47 AM
(24-02-2016 10:34 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(22-02-2016 09:21 PM)cactus Wrote:  Well to be fair, Jesus didn't really go "to" hell. He just kind of rolled down the doors of his air-conditioned limousine and laughed at everyone as he passed by.

It's an old, old Christian myth called "The Harrowing of Hell", dating back to at least the earliest days of Anglo-Saxon conversion. It's explicitly mentioned in "The Dream of the Rood", for example.

Jesus' death on the cross was followed by his immediate descent to Hell, whereupon he stormed the obsidian gates and released all the good souls that Lucifer was keeping wrongly imprisoned there. Jesus versus Satan, no holds barred, three nights only, in the ultimate throwdown for the souls of the faithful.

The modern church tends to downplay it, because the image of Jesus as a warrior exemplar isn't so much in vogue any more - not to mention the implications of God actively allowing the souls of good people, people explicitly deserving of Heaven, to be taken into Hell. But still, originally, Jesus wasn't so much Thatcher in a van as he was Rambo in a POW camp.

It's a shame that the modern church has sort of swept it under the rug and watered it down so much. I always thought it was one of the cooler parts of Christian mythology.

How does he fit three nights in from Friday noon to Sunday morning? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-02-2016, 10:57 AM
(24-02-2016 10:47 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(24-02-2016 10:34 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  Actually, he did go to Hell. Properly.

How does he fit three nights in from Friday noon to Sunday morning? Consider

He's Jesus, man. Impossible is kind of his whole thing.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
24-02-2016, 01:19 PM
(24-02-2016 10:34 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(22-02-2016 09:21 PM)cactus Wrote:  Well to be fair, Jesus didn't really go "to" hell. He just kind of rolled down the doors of his air-conditioned limousine and laughed at everyone as he passed by.

Your'e all wrong! According to the Catholic Church, the original Christian church, and thus the authority in all things pertaining to Christianity, Jesus did descend into Hell after he was crucified, died and was buried. Then on the third day he arose again from the dead; He ascended into into Heaven where (now, pay attention, this is important) he is seated at the right hand of God the Father Almighty, (not to the left, in front of or behind, but at the RIGHT hand ... AND, he is SEATED, not standing, squatting or lying down -- but SEATED ). From thence He shall come to judge the living and the dead.

It's all right there in the Apostles Creed and/or the Nicene Creed. The Catholic's have made it real simple. These creeds sum it all up. Just profess this once a week and you're 80% of the way to becoming a TRUE christian.

Here's a link to these creeds. Study up! Laugh out load

http://www.catholictradition.org/Tradition/creeds.htm

"Why hast thou forsaken me, o deity whose existence I doubt..." - Dr. Sheldon Cooper
24-02-2016, 01:31 PM
I can't understand the hype either. I believed as a child mostly because I was terrified of hell. Those darn Tim Lahaye books scared the hell out of me, literally. Smile As a non-believer I still don't grasp what is so great about it. Streets of gold? Pffft!