Would Heaven even be worth it?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-02-2016, 09:59 PM
RE: Would Heaven even be worth it?
I'd rather be immortal. Yes I know most of you think immortality would be boring. But I would love it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
25-02-2016, 10:03 PM
Strolling around with the clouds swirling around your feet. Run into another ex-person strolling around.

**Hi, how are you?

*Dead.

**Me too. How long have you been here?

*Seems like an eternity. Undecided

Wash, rinse, repeat...forfuckingever.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
26-02-2016, 07:00 AM
(25-02-2016 09:32 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(25-02-2016 07:58 PM)Seeking_Truth Wrote:  I've been taught that during eternity in heaven we will be preaching the not fallen worlds about gospel of Jesus saving the earth from sin. Basically we'll be like interstellar Jehova's witnesses preaching the gospel to every habitable planet in the universe. Also we'll be studying the character of god but even in eternity we will never fully comprehend god. Other features include, spending time talking with jesus of course, the apostles, and other personalities, including familiy and friends. Also not being able to have any negative feelings nor fatige since our bodies will be "transformed" to be perfect. And don't forget about playing with now dangerous animals without any danger.

I was raised a 7th day adventist and they are annihiliationists. After the saved go to heaven for 1,000 thousand years, then they go back to earth to found the "new Jerusalem". After that millenium, those who were not saved resurect in what is called "the 2nd resurrection" and their bodies remain in the same state as when they died. Satan will fool them to attack the holy city, and when they approach, fire will descent from the sky and consume then, eliminating their existance.

The saved will watch that annihilation with tears of sadness in their faces (thus infering that bad emotions were not erased...YET). Then god will erase those bad emotions. Here's the part I conflict with, supposedly gave us free will because he didn't want robots, but then eliminates the second option and just give us one path to follow, making us happy puppets for the rest of eternity. And that's the only way heaven will work, otherwise eventualy bad thoughts will arise and sin will "resurrect". Accepting eternity is accepting that you'll be a robot programed to just act the way god wants us to. We forcibly like the activities since there's no room for dislike in heaven.

As someone stated before, it's better non-extistence rather than eternity.

Why would anyone believe that ridiculous story? Facepalm

Gullible people will believe anyting. Drinking Beverage

"Skepticism is the first step towards truth" -Denis Diderot
26-02-2016, 08:16 AM
(22-02-2016 08:48 PM)EppurSiMuove Wrote:  I've often wondered, why does Heaven sound so enticing to Christians? I mean, what exactly sounds so great about spending eternity doing nothing but worshipping a monarch? In all honesty, I can't think of anything that I would want to do FOREVER, but certainly not kissing some cosmic tyrant's ass.

The recent SMBC comic on hell seems equally apt for heaven, here:

[Image: 1456242616-20160223.png]

You'd think after a while, it'd stop being awesome, and would just be "normal".
[+] 3 users Like RobbyPants's post
26-02-2016, 09:33 AM
(24-02-2016 02:41 PM)claywise Wrote:  One suspects that the only thing unthinking Christians really imagine when they think of an eternity in Heaven is the cessation of the earthly suffering that afflicts all sentient things — the stress of an animal that can't find enough food to eat as much as the creature who dies in the jaws of that animal, as much as pain, as much as human emotional pain.

Avoidance of suffering entails "healing" wounds like the loss of a beloved relative or pet, so most believers seem to fancy that will all go down within the pearly gates.

Of course, they seldom ponder in what form they will encounter their lost loved people/critters — what age, what physical condition, and so on. If so, this necessarily introduces the problem of different expectations which tends, in earthly life, to lead to conflict and — ta-da! — suffering.

If no such conflict can arise in the perfect bliss of the afterlife, then truly any being that ascends to heaven has been so drastically altered from his or her earthly "self" that it's fair to say that the person, in all their individuality, did not, in fact, go to heaven.

Seth likes to point out that if Christians are right, and he goes to hell, and his mother goes to heaven, it would be impossible for her true self to experience bliss knowing that her wayward son is suffering eternal torture. She will have been so denatured — or brainwashed to forget such things — that she will no longer really be his mother.

The only valid response believers can proffer to these dilemmas is to magic it all away: God can do anything, therefore, he can — I guess? — brainwash heaven's denizens into thinking they are perfectly happy and are "themselves."

Heaven strikes me as a pretty solid argument against the validity of traditional Christian belief.

The other magic occurs in Hell where your body never gets totally consumed by fire. How does that happen? Huh I guess Satan is just as magical as Yaweh.

"Why hast thou forsaken me, o deity whose existence I doubt..." - Dr. Sheldon Cooper
26-02-2016, 09:38 AM
(26-02-2016 09:33 AM)mgoering Wrote:  The other magic occurs in Hell where your body never gets totally consumed by fire. How does that happen? Huh I guess Satan is just as magical as Yaweh.

In the New Testament (where Hell was introduced), Satan was given phenomenal cosmic powers. He's come a long way from being a celestial lawyer who had to ask YHWH for permission any time he'd fuck with people on Earth.
26-02-2016, 09:39 AM
(25-02-2016 09:35 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

That is the creepiest thing I've seen in a long time!

"Why hast thou forsaken me, o deity whose existence I doubt..." - Dr. Sheldon Cooper
[+] 1 user Likes mgoering's post
26-02-2016, 09:54 AM
I subscribe to the Belinda Carlisle view that Heaven Is A Place On Earth.

That means I'll be checking out at some point in the coming years.

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
26-02-2016, 10:02 AM
(25-02-2016 07:58 PM)Seeking_Truth Wrote:  I've been taught that during eternity in heaven we will be preaching the not fallen worlds about gospel of Jesus saving the earth from sin. Basically we'll be like interstellar Jehova's witnesses preaching the gospel to every habitable planet in the universe. Also we'll be studying the character of god but even in eternity we will never fully comprehend god. Other features include, spending time talking with jesus of course, the apostles, and other personalities, including familiy and friends. Also not being able to have any negative feelings nor fatige since our bodies will be "transformed" to be perfect. And don't forget about playing with now dangerous animals without any danger.

I was raised a 7th day adventist and they are annihiliationists. After the saved go to heaven for 1,000 thousand years, then they go back to earth to found the "new Jerusalem". After that millenium, those who were not saved resurect in what is called "the 2nd resurrection" and their bodies remain in the same state as when they died. Satan will fool them to attack the holy city, and when they approach, fire will descent from the sky and consume then, eliminating their existance.

The saved will watch that annihilation with tears of sadness in their faces (thus infering that bad emotions were not erased...YET). Then god will erase those bad emotions. Here's the part I conflict with, supposedly gave us free will because he didn't want robots, but then eliminates the second option and just give us one path to follow, making us happy puppets for the rest of eternity. And that's the only way heaven will work, otherwise eventualy bad thoughts will arise and sin will "resurrect". Accepting eternity is accepting that you'll be a robot programed to just act the way god wants us to. We forcibly like the activities since there's no room for dislike in heaven.

As someone stated before, it's better non-extistence rather than eternity.

It's just amazing how many different versions of heaven and hell exist because of all the different cults that interpret the bible their own way. Of course, each of their followers believe their own sect's mumbo jumbo. But, in the end, it's all BS.

26-02-2016, 10:05 AM
(25-02-2016 09:59 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I'd rather be immortal. Yes I know most of you think immortality would be boring. But I would love it.

It would only be worth it if you had the option to opt out and end your own life on your own terms. Eventually nonexistence will be preferable to living through the eventual heat death of the universe.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post