Would Heaven even be worth it?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-02-2016, 11:26 AM
RE: Would Heaven even be worth it?
(26-02-2016 10:05 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(25-02-2016 09:59 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I'd rather be immortal. Yes I know most of you think immortality would be boring. But I would love it.

It would only be worth it if you had the option to opt out and end your own life on your own terms. Eventually nonexistence will be preferable to living through the eventual heat death of the universe.

Yep exactly. But who knows what we would know by the time that happens. We may even be able to avoid it!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
26-02-2016, 04:28 PM
Heaven has multiple definitions and all of them would be horrendous.

1. The first interpretation of heaven is kissing gods ass for all eternity. Your mind is wiped of ever having the possibility of feeling anger, fear, sadness or anything other than joy....which means you are a mindless robot whom has lost all its free will. You no longer have any possibility to object to anything god could ever do or say no matter how violently it violates your own personal moral code, and you will have no possibility to make any kind of a conscious decision of your own. In other words, you literally become a robot and lose all memories of being a human being, because that is the only way living in that kind of state would be possible without Confliction. This is the fluffy white clouds, everyone has white wings and golden halos and plays the Lyre.

2. The second way heaven can be is that you just have your own personal heaven. Which is totally asinine really because the people you want to be with would want something else than what you want. Which would mean that you don't get to see anyone you like in the afterlife, they are just copies of that person or an image of them because those other people had a different personal heaven than you do.

3. Then there is the everyone is the everything is all earth like, but with everyone as all part of one big massive country and we all everything here but better somehow and Nothing bad ever happens ever.

In either case. An eternity of any of those would be unbearable and there are many other ideas of what heaven is....the mass majority being fluffy white clouds and lots of light which I would detest every moment of.

Give me a warm, dark, closed in space that would make anyone terrified of closed in paces panic and leave me in absolute isolation forever in that warm dark closed in space. THAT would make me happy!

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
26-02-2016, 04:56 PM

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
26-02-2016, 06:05 PM

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
26-02-2016, 06:48 PM
so when are the theists going to pop in here? isnt heaven kind of important to then?
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Wanderer's post
26-02-2016, 07:29 PM
When I was a thiest, Heaven was of the utmost importance to them. I know one guy who takes the laziest approach to life. He doesn't care about money, or improving his life, because he's just going to heaven anyway. I knew one guy who said he wanted to be martyred giving bibles to Muslims.
26-02-2016, 07:40 PM
I don't think Heaven is worth it because it seems you would simply exist in a void, nothing you do or say matters to anyone who is currently living on Earth anymore since you can't directly communicate with them.

I would think it might be fun to travel the Cosmos for a few hundred years but after a while it would become very boring. I would think you could do whatever you wanted like watch every new episode of Game of Thrones before they even come out but what happens after you've seen every show, read every book, listened to every song, forever is a very long time. It might be fun for a few hundred years, but what about millions or billions? What if you live to be 100 before you died, would you even remember your mortal life anymore? Is our Earthly existence just a waiting room experience before we experience the "real" life, that's pretty depressing.
[+] 1 user Likes SitaSky's post
26-02-2016, 09:41 PM
(25-02-2016 09:59 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I'd rather be immortal. Yes I know most of you think immortality would be boring. But I would love it.

Me too, I think I would be happy as an immortal!
[+] 1 user Likes carol's post
26-02-2016, 10:52 PM
(26-02-2016 09:41 PM)carol Wrote:  

Me too, I think I would be happy as an immortal!

People always say it would be boring. But the way I see it is if you literally had all the time in the world imagine everything you could learn and explore. If youre bored and immortal you lack a serious imagination!
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
27-02-2016, 12:41 AM
(22-02-2016 08:48 PM)EppurSiMuove Wrote:  Hello fellow heathens,
I'm curious if you guys have asked this question before. I'm certain most have, and if enjoy your input. I've often wondered, why does Heaven sound so enticing to Christians? I mean, what exactly sounds so great about spending eternity doing nothing but worshipping a monarch? In all honesty, I can't think of anything that I would want to do FOREVER, but certainly not kissing some cosmic tyrant's ass. When my wife was younger, she would ask her church deacon mother questions about heaven, and she told her things like there's no marriage in heaven, and that everyone would just be happy all the time. I know it's a moot point, considering it's all fantasy, but for arguments sake, lets concede that heaven is real. If we have none of the things that make THIS life beautiful and worthwhile in heaven, how could that be desirable? If we lose the capabailty to feel deep emotions in heaven, other than ignorant bliss, does that not mean we also lose the very parts of us that make us who we are? Even when I followed the narrative and went along believing in God (somewhat, anyway), I was still a deep-thinking person who dealt with depression, often cause by a deep-seated empathy for others and their suffering. As weird as it might sound, I like that part of me. Not because it's ideal, but because it's me. I feel as if most Christians always dutifully preach away and "dive in to the scriptures", but never ask themselves what heaven would be like, realistically (again, moot point, since they are not realistic). Thoughts?

I would not want to live in heaven forever. However, I DO want to live FOREVER here on EARTH!!! Can you imagine what sort of crazy gadgets we would see 100 years from now? 200, 500, 1000? Can you imagine what a person from 100 years ago would think if they live in this world now?

Just the other day, this business closed and sold off some of their servers. They sold me a pair of Xeon E5-2699 v3 for $150, 1...... 5....... 0....... fricking dollars, for a pair of the very top of the line processors; 18 cores, 36 threads on each of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm going to build the shit out of this new system!!!! Hell, I can re-encode a full length 4k movie before I can blink!!!

Can you imagine what sort of amazing shit science will produce in the future?!?!??!? Damm it!!!! Human life span is too damm short. FUCK heaven, I want to be here!!!
[+] 1 user Likes xieulong's post