Would Heaven even be worth it?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-02-2016, 01:38 AM
RE: Would Heaven even be worth it?
I agree with several above, I'd want to be immortal here on Earth.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-02-2016, 01:41 AM
(27-02-2016 12:41 AM)xieulong Wrote:  Just the other day, this business closed and sold off some of their servers. They sold me a pair of Xeon E5-2699 v3 for $150, 1...... 5....... 0....... fricking dollars, for a pair of the very top of the line processors; 18 cores, 36 threads on each of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm going to build the shit out of this new system!!!! Hell, I can re-encode a full length 4k movie before I can blink!!!

/derail
27-02-2016, 02:07 AM
(27-02-2016 01:41 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(27-02-2016 12:41 AM)xieulong Wrote:  Just the other day, this business closed and sold off some of their servers. They sold me a pair of Xeon E5-2699 v3 for $150, 1...... 5....... 0....... fricking dollars, for a pair of the very top of the line processors; 18 cores, 36 threads on each of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm going to build the shit out of this new system!!!! Hell, I can re-encode a full length 4k movie before I can blink!!!

/derail

I know!!!!!! 5 years from now, it'll be 30 gamers on 1 rig. This Earth is fucking amazing!!! Why go to heaven, when you can be here?!?!? Drive out to the country, turn off all lights, let your eyes adjust for 30 minutes, look at the sky, you can see the Milky Way, amazing!!!

You're sitting at home right now, on your computer communicating with some asshole half the world away!! Amazing!!! To do this back then, you'd have to hop on your horse, take months to get to the coast, then get on a boat and cross the ocean, it would've taken years, and you might not even make it there alive. Now, all you have to do is go to your computer and trade verbal barbs over the net anytime you want!! Fucking amazing!! Years from now, you might even be able to trade real uppercuts over the net!!

Ok, I think, I've drank enough. Good night.
[+] 1 user Likes xieulong's post
27-02-2016, 03:35 AM
(26-02-2016 10:52 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  People always say it would be boring. But the way I see it is if you literally had all the time in the world imagine everything you could learn and explore. If you're bored and immortal you lack a serious imagination!

Immortals would never get bored; it'd be physiologically impossible. The brain is only a few pounds of neurons. Our span of memory at any point is only a few years to any detail, rapidly diminishing out to a few decades. A healthy mind, say, 500 years old could experience things experienced 400 years ago as if they had never happened; they'd be just as fresh and novel as they were the first time, since no vestigial memories would last that long. Even if some did, most couldn't; there aren't enough neurons to keep it all.

The downside of this is that an immortal would always be actively learning new things, but could never know whether some new insight was an insight obtained 10,000 years ago but since forgotten. You'd have the sense of always gaining in wisdom but knowing probably you really aren't, as the brain is finite, and KNOWING your evolving wisdom is increasing would require an infinite cache of neurons to be able to gauge it.

So you'd never be bored, but never sure your bank of knowledge is at its peak, that you know more today than you ever did. THAT could be depressing enough to dampen delight in some new experience, knowing you might have done it before with a knowledge set then that made it better than it is this time. Consider
[+] 1 user Likes Airportkid's post
27-02-2016, 04:58 AM
iwhen anyone talks about immortality im always reminded of that great xfiles episode with the old dude that is immortal. he said something along the lines of this: ''eventually you start to wonder about what youre missing out on, and how everyone gets to experience it except for you.'' i could see that, even if the experience is not existing anymore.
27-02-2016, 05:51 AM
(27-02-2016 01:38 AM)DavidCG Wrote:  I agree with several above, I'd want to be immortal here on Earth.

Sorry, there can be only one.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 4 users Like unfogged's post
27-02-2016, 06:29 AM
(27-02-2016 05:51 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(27-02-2016 01:38 AM)DavidCG Wrote:  I agree with several above, I'd want to be immortal here on Earth.

Sorry, there can be only one.

Highlander - Where the Scotsman is played by a Frenchman, and the actual Scotsman instead plays a Spanish Japanese Egyptian.

/derail

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
27-02-2016, 09:40 AM
(26-02-2016 10:52 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(26-02-2016 09:41 PM)carol Wrote:  Me too, I think I would be happy as an immortal!

People always say it would be boring. But the way I see it is if you literally had all the time in the world imagine everything you could learn and explore. If youre bored and immortal you lack a serious imagination!

It depends, what quality of life will you have? Will you get older or stay in the same state? How about the emotional implications of seeing everybody you'll ever love and care about die for all the existence of human race? Or getting a disease that puts you in agony for hundreds of years until someone find a cure? If they ever found one. There are many variables to consider. It could be great or could be the worst thing.

"Skepticism is the first step towards truth" -Denis Diderot
27-02-2016, 10:10 AM
(27-02-2016 09:40 AM)Seeking_Truth Wrote:  ... It depends, what quality of life will you have? Will you get older or stay in the same state? How about the emotional implications of seeing everybody you'll ever love and care about die for all the existence of human race?

Among the many treatments of this theme in the cinema "The Man From Earth" is one of the best, by Jerome Bixby, who also wrote a TOS Star Trek episode on the theme as well.
27-02-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:Would Heaven even be worth it?

First I would need to know what heaven is.

As a child I thought Heaven was in the clouds. (Then I took a airplane ride and that ended that idea.) I recall collecting the majority of this idea's from the Sunday comic the Family Circus. There grandfather sitting in the clouds watching the world as it passes. Able to come down a help out when people where in trouble. Any description of the vision I had of heaven was never found in any holy text.

Heaven in the bible is a giant chair with god sitting on it with a bunch of 3 headed beasts holding up that chair and everyone praising him for all of eternity. Not my idea of a good time.

In later years people told me that in heaven you get everything you ever wanted. And spend time with all your ancestors.

This seemed nice up front but upon reflection. I wouldn't want sex because my biology would no longer require me to have the craving. I wouldn't require food or drink to keep my body fueled to survive. Let's say it was my desire to be a god. Would i get to do that? Over throw the current monarch and rule the universe? Wouldn't need sleep. And when i view the whole of reality would I even care anymore. To know everything that is and shale be takes away any exsitment, or mystery. And what if I didn't want to spend time with my ancestors. I've gone to family picnics and their boring as fuck. Now I have the spend the rest of eternity with them. And how far back on this blood line do we go back. Will I be spending time with our ape ancestors, or reptilian?

The Finality of death could be more appealing.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin