Would You Buy Entertainment...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-02-2011, 07:14 PM

Would You Buy Entertainment...
That has religious references in it? I'm not talking about strictly religious-oriented forms of entertainment, I'm talking about things that have references to religion in it.

For example I really like the band Creed, I grew up with the band, I like the music, and like them regardless of the religious references in the lyrics. I read books with religious references all the time, for example in the Stephen King book "Desperation" one of the main characters is very religious and therefore there is discussion of religion in the book.

Even my favorite poet T.S. Eliot has religious references in his poetry. To summarize everything up, I think that disagreeing with a reference in something shouldn't prevent you from appreciating it otherwise.

I get this problem all the time with theists, they don't want to look at something because if may reference to Atheism, or Satanism, or some other thing they don't agree with. It's ridiculous.
Quote this message in a reply
22-02-2011, 07:23 PM
RE: Would You Buy Entertainment...
(22-02-2011 07:14 PM)Diclonius Wrote:  That has religious references in it? I'm not talking about strictly religious-oriented forms of entertainment, I'm talking about things that have references to religion in it.

For example I really like the band Creed, I grew up with the band, I like the music, and like them regardless of the religious references in the lyrics. I read books with religious references all the time, for example in the Stephen King book "Desperation" one of the main characters is very religious and therefore there is discussion of religion in the book.

Even my favorite poet T.S. Eliot has religious references in his poetry. To summarize everything up, I think that disagreeing with a reference in something shouldn't prevent you from appreciating it otherwise.

I get this problem all the time with theists, they don't want to look at something because if may reference to Atheism, or Satanism, or some other thing they don't agree with. It's ridiculous.
Stephen King is a guilty pleasure of mine. Desperation was the second book I read by him. It is still my favorite too. Like you said, avoiding something because it does or doesn't mention someone else's invisible friend/boogeyman is ridiculous. I don't want religion shoved down my throat, but I don't mind it in context. In fact, certain things would likely be lacking without it.

Something something something Dark Side
Something something something complete
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-02-2011, 07:36 PM
(22-02-2011 07:14 PM)Diclonius Wrote:  That has religious references in it?

Yes.

As I mentioned in the other thread, I enjoy lots of music with religious references, or even overtly religious themes, in it. I don't care about the message. The music is what matters.

(22-02-2011 07:23 PM)cfhmagnet Wrote:  Stephen King is a guilty pleasure of mine. Desperation was the second book I read by him. It is still my favorite too.

Man, I thought I was the only person on Earth who had even heard of Desperation, let alone counted it as their favorite King book.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
22-02-2011, 08:12 PM

It's awesome to see other people like the book "Desperation". I hated the made-for-tv little mini series they put out. I really thought they should have made it into a movie, slapped an R rating on it, and kept in a lot of the gore and whatnot.

Also the Dark Tower Series better not suck when it gets made into a movie. That is all.
22-02-2011, 08:14 PM
(22-02-2011 08:12 PM)Diclonius Wrote:  Also the Dark Tower Series better not suck when it gets made into a movie. That is all.

Dark Tower started sucking as soon as he published the fifth book, in my opinion. King is great at atmosphere, but he usually screws up the ending magnificently. The Dark Tower just had the misfortune to have an ending three books long.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
22-02-2011, 09:43 PM
(22-02-2011 08:14 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(22-02-2011 08:12 PM)Diclonius Wrote:  Also the Dark Tower Series better not suck when it gets made into a movie. That is all.

Dark Tower started sucking as soon as he published the fifth book, in my opinion. King is great at atmosphere, but he usually screws up the ending magnificently. The Dark Tower just had the misfortune to have an ending three books long.
I thought the ending itself was decent. Cyclical, basically an ok excuse to NOT end one of the greatest stories he ever told. It was the books 5-7 that lead UP to that ending that were...strained...

Something something something Dark Side
Something something something complete
22-02-2011, 10:13 PM (This post was last modified: 22-02-2011 11:00 PM by Buddy Christ.)
In this society, it's hard to NOT stumble across religious references in your entertainment.

But no, I don't reject them. Conversely, I actually find the entertainment part of religion to be very interesting. Movies about angels, demons, armageddon, priests, good vs evil, demonic possessions, and all the movies showcasing the power of the gods are some of the best movies out there. I mean without religions, we would have no God of War series... and that would make me a sad panda.

And religious music-wise, I enjoy Creed (although every single time I listen to it while driving I get pulled over by the cops... ??), Evanescence, Red, As I Lay Dying, Bride, Demon Hunter, August Burns Red, Harmony, etc.... not to mention some good ol' gospel music.

And if you're referring to all "religious references," just take a gander at my avatar. I would never have watched Dogma, the thought of which is too painful to even consider.

It's not the culture I have a problem with, it's the "divine inspiration" that drives otherwise sane people to do insane things.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
23-02-2011, 05:03 AM
(22-02-2011 10:13 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  And religious music-wise, I enjoy Creed (although every single time I listen to it while driving I get pulled over by the cops... ??), Evanescence, Red, As I Lay Dying, Bride, Demon Hunter, August Burns Red, Harmony, etc.... not to mention some good ol' gospel music.

Some of my favorite bands are christian. I love the music, not the message. And ive actually watched AILD, Demon Hunter and August Burns Red in concert. Great bands. You just have the appreciate the talent.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-02-2011, 12:32 PM

@BuddyChrist

You just gained 10 points by enjoying Creed.
23-02-2011, 01:15 PM
Don't pin me down as a Scott Stapp lover. I enjoyed them in high school, but every single time I played the cd I would end up driving the wrong way down a one way street or driving next to a cop and then my lane suddenly ends and I go swerving off the road, etc. It's a bad omen when it comes on the radio now.

On a side note, have you heard of Alter Bridge? It's the entire band from Creed, except lead singer is the vocal range-tastic Myles Kennedy. Much better band IMO.

My faves are:

Brand New Start

Watch Over You

Or the most epic 8 minute jam you've ever witnessed:

Blackbird

...or just listen to the entire Blackbird album.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."