Would You Want There to Be a God?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-03-2014, 09:28 PM
Would You Want There to Be a God?
This is one of those questions that I've often pondered late at night before I go to sleep: if you could choose whether or not there was a god and be 100% of his existence or nonexistence, would you choose for there to be a god? If you have a preference, what religion?

I think I would want there to be one. I don't know if that makes me weak, but it would be extremely comforting to know that no matter what you do, there's someone who is going to work things out for you. It's also very comforting to know that when you die, you don't really die. At the same time, there's so many implications of there being a god that I think there being one and me knowing would drive me insane. Every time I saw something bad happen would just make me hate life more and more. I think in the end, I would choose for there not to be, but it would be an extremely difficult decision.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes southernbelle's post
25-03-2014, 09:33 PM
RE: Would You Want There to Be a God?
Yes I would. That would be pretty cool. Just not an omniscient, omnipresent one. That would suck...

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 2 users Like Im_Ryan's post
25-03-2014, 09:39 PM
Yes. Strictly for the afterlife part. With this in mind, I'd probably pick the Christian god, since they seem to have a pretty good afterlife, but only because I don't know any that offer both a good afterlife and aren't massive jerks.
25-03-2014, 09:43 PM
Here's the deal, you made this god that you would like there to be, omnibenevolent. That's not what you asked. My answer to your original question is, it depends. If the god was Yahweh, then no, he can suck my left toe. If the god was like my Uncle Don, who loved me no matter what and was the coolest guy to hang out with (when I wanted to hang out with him and not all the time), then sure.

The thing about what you're proposing is there are so many variations and intangibles that go along with that baggage. Afterlife? Sure. But there are people that, if there were an afterlife, I don't want to be around for eternity. But, would it be cool to never die and to have those I love around me (when I want)? Sure. Let's do it.

I'm not an antitheist, I'm just an atheist. But if there were a god, and he was Yahweh, I'd be an antitheist.

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like WillHopp's post
25-03-2014, 09:44 PM
(25-03-2014 09:39 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  Yes. Strictly for the afterlife part. With this in mind, I'd probably pick the Christian god, since they seem to have a pretty good afterlife, but only because I don't know any that offer both a good afterlife and aren't massive jerks.

Allah's afterlife with wall-to-wall virgins? Not too shabby.

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
25-03-2014, 10:04 PM
(25-03-2014 09:28 PM)southernbelle Wrote:  This is one of those questions that I've often pondered late at night before I go to sleep: if you could choose whether or not there was a god and be 100% of his existence or nonexistence, would you choose for there to be a god? If you have a preference, what religion?

I think I would want there to be one. I don't know if that makes me weak, but it would be extremely comforting to know that no matter what you do, there's someone who is going to work things out for you. It's also very comforting to know that when you die, you don't really die. At the same time, there's so many implications of there being a god that I think there being one and me knowing would drive me insane. Every time I saw something bad happen would just make me hate life more and more. I think in the end, I would choose for there not to be, but it would be an extremely difficult decision.

Nah. No god for me. What makes life so wonderful and amazing is that this is our only shot at living. This one performance is it. Therefore we need to make it great for ourselves and all the people we come in contact with, so their life is great too. Not only is this a one time deal but it's very, very brief and that adds greater value, luster and beauty to life. If you have an afterlife it takes the excitement away from living, kinda like someone walking a tight rope with a huge safety net only one or two feet below. It's just not very compelling, has little depth and actually would be quite dull.

Also, the thought of spending eternity in some god-heaven-place I find completely grotesque. Zero gods are better, so enjoy your life.....this is it folks.

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
25-03-2014, 10:10 PM
Yes, but only if that god was me. I actually give a damn and have the morals to make the world a better place. Famine, suffering, rape, murder, torture would all come to an end.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
25-03-2014, 10:17 PM
Only a god that would make everyone else a god, so they can live whatever existence they wanted.
25-03-2014, 10:56 PM
It would depend on what he would be like...

If he's anything like the Biblical god, then no, he can kiss my sweet, evolved arse.

But a god who was simply there to help out, and keep you safe while not demanding anything in return. Sure, why not?

But I don't care how omnipotent he is, I ain't grovelling for no one.

It seems strange to me that people believe they owe something to their god, just because he's supposed to have made them... As if that justifies absolute obedience and worship.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
25-03-2014, 11:14 PM
Nope. I'm a realist and a nihilist. And after much pondering, a satisfied nihilist. If this poor excuse for a minuscule conscience is indicative of what might lie ahead, then I think oblivion would be the better choice.

I don't see the point in eternity, if I was never meant to be a god, or even if.

I like naps, an eternal one seems heavenly.

I'm drunk, disregard this message.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post