Would You Want There to Be a God?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-03-2014, 06:34 AM
RE: Would You Want There to Be a God?
Instead of heaven I'd rather be born again and do it all over. But I would want to skip public school and maybe the first year of high school. I would lose my virginity sooner and try pot sooner too.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like CONVERSIONTUBE's post
26-03-2014, 06:54 AM
Why would I want there to be a God? What purpose would it serve? I don't want to exist forever. Forever us a VERY long time.
Find all posts by this user
26-03-2014, 07:04 AM
I am a god........I don't understand the question........

Angel

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 4 users Like WitchSabrina's post
26-03-2014, 10:37 AM
I'm rooting for Elohim. I want my own planet when I die!
26-03-2014, 10:53 AM
I'd say yes or no, depending on the circumstances:

No:
It's just easier this way. The world sucks in a lot of ways, and I don't like contemplating a deity that causes/allows it.

Yes:
But not any existing notion of God. Picture a god that exists in a different dimension. He has no meaningful way to interact with this dimension, aside from one: he can create "souls". We live in a physical world with no souls, and when we die, we stop existing. This god cares about us but is powerless to stop anything bad from happening in this world; however, he can create a wonderful place called heaven where souls can enjoy it forever. All he can do is link a soul to each of us so that we can live forever in this other dimension. Everyone goes there. There is no hell. We endure earth because God has no control over it.

That's the only way I can see anything approaching an all loving god existing in this world. It's extremely convoluted, and I'm not holding out much hopes that this is the case. Still, it'd be pretty rad to find out it's true when I die.
26-03-2014, 10:54 AM
A god? Whatever for? I'll pass. Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
26-03-2014, 11:10 AM (This post was last modified: 27-03-2014 05:25 AM by EvolutionKills.)
Come on guys, really? Nobody else would want to see the cosmic soap-opera drama that was the Greek pantheon? Aries was the hot-headed egoist. Athena was the too-perfect daughter that everyone else hated for making them look bad. Poseidon was the drunk uncle that would get into all kinds of trouble. Hephaestus was the special-needs case and the continual underdog. Hades was the other shifty uncle under a restraining order that nobody was supposed to ever talk about. Apollo was the millionaire cousin who always had the best and let everyone know it. Hera was the queen bitch and control freak. Zeus was the bumbling womanizer that slept with anything that had two legs (and sometimes he wasn't even that discerning)!

Come on, that sounds like amazing television! Tongue

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
26-03-2014, 11:15 AM
I think many people ask themselves/others the same question, I know I certainly have. In fact, I've given this question a great deal of thought. Like many others in the Thinking Atheist community I am an apostate - a recovering Christian. During the period of time immediately after I finally uttered the words, "agnostic/atheist" for the first time in regards to myself I spent a great deal of time considering this question. I explored other beliefs systems, I felt like something was missing after I "lost" my social network, which was and had been since I was very young, my church. I wondered for a short while if maybe there was a god, or something we might call a god but had missed the boat by ignoring other beliefs/ideas about god. That period of time didn't last long, I started reading/learning about science with a voracity usually ascribed to a starving Grizzly Bear. Those thoughts/ideas were dispelled very quickly as concepts I had once attributed to god (due to ignorance) came into focus and I found that they were clearly and demonstrably natural phenomena that I could understand/describe through science, reason and using logic.

I've gotten off track here, the shorter answer to your question is that I can relate to the thoughts you had/have on the subject. Chief among those for myself was the question; "What would the implications be if there was indeed a god?" (I am paraphrasing.) and, "Which god/religion would I prefer if there was (a god)." You touched on the age old "problem of evil", mentioning the anger you would feel if there was a god every time something horrible happened. I would definitely share that frustration with you if there was in fact a god, and we knew that with 100% certainty. Regarding which religion/god I might choose? That's an easy answer, I choose (D.) None of the above. To quote one of my heroes, Christopher Hitchens, "...all religion is man made and demonstrably false." I want no part of ANY of the gods/religions men have conjured up throughout the course of human history. The gods of men are reflections of themselves and consistently afflicted with all too human shortcomings. Many of those gods could (if they did indeed exist) be rightly labeled psychopaths/sociopaths, murderers, bi-polar, contradictory, selfish, narcissistic, histrionic - and the list goes on ad infinitum...

All things considered I do not think it's a difficult decision, on the surface there may seem to be some comfort in ideas like infinite life. However, once you consider all the implications, it becomes truly terrifying, as does the idea of there being a god. I MUCH prefer reality, the natural world, our universe, the mysteries that remain undiscovered... nature, from the universe as a whole down to they form/function of atoms is truly spectacular and more than enough for me! I'm just grateful that I have gotten the chance to exist at all, and to share this brief moment of consciousness with all of you. Smile

(25-03-2014 09:28 PM)southernbelle Wrote:  This is one of those questions that I've often pondered late at night before I go to sleep: if you could choose whether or not there was a god and be 100% of his existence or nonexistence, would you choose for there to be a god? If you have a preference, what religion?

I think I would want there to be one. I don't know if that makes me weak, but it would be extremely comforting to know that no matter what you do, there's someone who is going to work things out for you. It's also very comforting to know that when you die, you don't really die. At the same time, there's so many implications of there being a god that I think there being one and me knowing would drive me insane. Every time I saw something bad happen would just make me hate life more and more. I think in the end, I would choose for there not to be, but it would be an extremely difficult decision.
[+] 2 users Like fisheswithfeet's post
26-03-2014, 11:27 AM
(26-03-2014 11:10 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Come on guys, really? Nobody else would want to see the cosmic soap-opera drama that was the Greek pantheon? Aries was the hot-headed egoist. Athena was the too-perfect daugher that everyone else hated for making them look bad. Poseidon was the drunk uncle that would get into all kinds of trouble. Hephaestus was the special-needs case and the continual underdog. Hades was the other shifty uncle under a restraining order that nobody was supposed to ever talk about. Apollo was the millionaire cousin who always had the best and let everyone know it. Hera was the queen bitch and control freak. Zeus was the bumbling womanizer that slept with anything that had two legs (and sometimes he wasn't even that discerning)!

Come on, that sounds like amazing television! Tongue

Sounds awesome until Zeus zaps you with a lightning bolt or has sex with your six-year-old kid. Tongue

Eh, I guess this isn't that different than some other popular religions.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
27-03-2014, 04:13 AM
(25-03-2014 09:44 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  
(25-03-2014 09:39 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  Yes. Strictly for the afterlife part. With this in mind, I'd probably pick the Christian god, since they seem to have a pretty good afterlife, but only because I don't know any that offer both a good afterlife and aren't massive jerks.

Allah's afterlife with wall-to-wall virgins? Not too shabby.

Think again. Watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2-9nFCGOrs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user