Would You Want There to Be a God?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-03-2014, 07:16 AM
RE: Would You Want There to Be a God?
(27-03-2014 04:13 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(25-03-2014 09:44 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Allah's afterlife with wall-to-wall virgins? Not too shabby.

Think again. Watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2-9nFCGOrs
Honestly i don't buy the idea of virginity deal,i mean you're living an eternal life! what's the point in being a virgin if you don't even die? the whole point of virginity is about being sincere to your partner in the limited amount of time you have on earth.

Dreams/Hallucinations/delusions are not evidence
Wishful thinking is not evidence
Disproved statements&Illogical conclusions are not evidence
Logical fallacies&Unsubstantiated claims are not evidence
Vague prophecies is not evidence
Data that requires a certain belief is not evidence
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-03-2014, 08:10 AM
(27-03-2014 07:16 AM)IndianAtheist Wrote:  
(27-03-2014 04:13 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Think again. Watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2-9nFCGOrs
Honestly i don't buy the idea of virginity deal,i mean you're living an eternal life! what's the point in being a virgin if you don't even die? the whole point of virginity is about being sincere to your partner in the limited amount of time you have on earth.

I never understood the allure of virgins myself. They'd know zip about what to do sexually.
so
there's that.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 4 users Like WitchSabrina's post
27-03-2014, 08:14 AM
(27-03-2014 08:10 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(27-03-2014 07:16 AM)IndianAtheist Wrote:  Honestly i don't buy the idea of virginity deal,i mean you're living an eternal life! what's the point in being a virgin if you don't even die? the whole point of virginity is about being sincere to your partner in the limited amount of time you have on earth.

I never understood the allure of virgins myself. They'd know zip about what to do sexually.
so
there's that.

Well back in the days before blood testing it was the only way to be sure of paternity. So in patriarchal societies where that was a big todo the status of the virgin wife is elevated. Me I prefer them to have some idea what the hell they are doing and virgins are just too much hassle.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
27-03-2014, 08:35 AM
There is but one goddess; her name is Gwyneth Paltrow. Bowing

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
27-03-2014, 08:36 AM
(27-03-2014 08:10 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  I never understood the allure of virgins myself. They'd know zip about what to do sexually.
so
there's that.
lol that shouldn't be a problem for them since they'll have an eternity :Thumbsup

I still wonder what would women get out of this dealConsider

Dreams/Hallucinations/delusions are not evidence
Wishful thinking is not evidence
Disproved statements&Illogical conclusions are not evidence
Logical fallacies&Unsubstantiated claims are not evidence
Vague prophecies is not evidence
Data that requires a certain belief is not evidence
27-03-2014, 08:40 AM
(25-03-2014 10:17 PM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  Only a god that would make everyone else a god, so they can live whatever existence they wanted.

http://youtu.be/TPZpQsEFcKI

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
27-03-2014, 08:44 AM
I wouldn't want there to be any gods nor would I want there to be eternal life. Eternal life would eventually have to become just as infinitely boring as it would be endless. Without eternal life, what's the point of having a god? The absence of a god means we have obstacles and challenges in life - much of which keeps this life from becoming boring too. If a god fixed everything and made it all easy, this life would be dull. Plus, there are few variations of a god concept that makes it anything more than a more powerful being - i.e., something to be feared and/or obeyed subserviently. No thanks. No

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
27-03-2014, 08:47 AM
I cannot imagine, and I have quite the active imagination, there being any rational need for a higher being. Therefore, the answer to the question in the original post is no.
27-03-2014, 08:56 AM
Marilyn Manson sums up my thoughts on this perfectly in The Reflecting God.

Quote:Let's jump upon the sharp swords
And cut away our smiles
Without the threat of death
There's no reason to live at all

I would not want there to be a god, at least not in the YHWH sense. I am far to anti-authority to want another being to have that much control over my life. It's like Hitchens describes it "A celestial North Korea". The thought of a god seeing everything I do and judging me is just creepy.

The only way that I would like a "god" is if they were actually some scientist in another dimension that figured out how to make universes and just went nuts spinning universes into creation to find out what happens. But, they really wouldn't be a god then.

I guess I just have an issue with the hands on, personal god concept. No, I don't want some sky daddy telling me how to live my life. No, I don't care for the concept of an afterlife. If we have a place we can go and be with everyone we've ever known and loved for all eternity, why don't we all just kill ourselves and go meet up there... An eternal paradise makes the suffering on this world completely evil and pointless. Even "lessons learned" from suffering would be meaningless. Why would we be made to suffer temporarily when paradise and utopia are just a handful of pills away.

No

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
27-03-2014, 04:57 PM
Would I want there to be a god? Obviously, that depends on many things, but I'm going to have to say no and I'll say why...

Would this god judge me on how devout I was in my life, or welcome me based on the virtues I have lived by? Assuming the god would judge me on the latter, there's still some reasons why I'd er to the side of no. I would not want there to be a god.

Sometimes, I wish there were a heaven... Although if that were true, I don't know if I would value our life here as much as I do now. Isn't heaven after all the creation of a greedy person by means of deception because they are unsatisfied with the value of life we have now? Why is eternal life better than temporal, or supernatural "higher" than natural? Doesn't rarity increase value? What right would an immaterial existence--a ghost in the sky--have to tell us natural creatures what is valuable? Has he ever felt the pain of giving birth? Does he struggle to pay the rent?

Last year, when I finally (initially reluctantly) accepted the truth of atheism, I used to sadly lament, "I guess there's no pot of gold at the end of the rainbow after all, huh."

I don't think like that anymore though, I have a more positive outlook on reality and I don't need comforting fairy tales and reassuring fables to get me through the day or get me out of bed. Sometimes I desire heaven, but if that where true then the implications would be undesirable. I'd be sub-subservient to a macho-man deity for the sole purpose of him creating me, much like a slave is to their owner.

I guess what I mean is that the only reason why I'd ''want'' there to be a god if any, would be because of my thoughts on a heaven. Upon further thought though, I do not think the notion of a heaven for any reason would be desirable. What would be the point of this ''transitional'' period of life on earth anyway? For judgement? If so, then logically there would be a place for the bad people. How would one judge then? There would be too much to consider before I could go down that road, for now I'm siding with no. Without a doubt, I'm open to change that to a yes if I could confirm all of my questions. I do consider myself an anti-theist like Christopher Hitchens, so I find the thought of an all powerful authoritative judgmental personal deity who possibly cares if you masturbate or think of thoughts that go against his teachings as utterly repulsive.

Everyday is judgement day. Use your judgement, use reason.
[+] 1 user Likes Freethought's post