Would You Want There to Be a God?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-03-2014, 06:26 PM
RE: Would You Want There to Be a God?
I'd see what I could I could get for 'em on eBay.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
27-03-2014, 07:46 PM
Y'know, I don't know if I would or not. I guess it would depend on what sort of god he/she is. Like if it was a god(dess) that actually did things like help people without MAKING them do things in life, more or less sitting back and letting humans run their own lives until they ask for help, that would be good. Or would let me have magical powers to harness elements like fire (yes things I would come in contact with might go up in flames literally and I would not feel sorry)/send people on quests for the hell of it, that might be cool. If it was a god(dess) that meddles with people or doesn't really let their creations live out their own lives, I wouldn't like it.

Then again...I don't know. If it was a god that just existed and didn't demand worship, would people still obsess and fight for that god? Do crazy shit in his/her name? That would be something to be concerned for. I guess if it's a god like the Judeo-Christian god then hell no and I don't know if it's another type of god. I dunno.

[Image: notagain.gif]
27-03-2014, 07:49 PM
As long as he/it doesn't resemble anything like that of the religions out there...that would be interesting, perhaps. If a god exists, I can't help but think he/it won't be ''explainable.''

The beauty of the heart, is the lasting beauty. - Rumi Heart
27-03-2014, 08:43 PM
(27-03-2014 04:13 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(25-03-2014 09:44 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Allah's afterlife with wall-to-wall virgins? Not too shabby.

Think again. Watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2-9nFCGOrs

I've actually seen that already. Great stuff, and a great point.

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
27-03-2014, 09:31 PM
If the god is honest and actively does what it can to improve things, then I'd be okay with it.

Anything else and I'd want nothing but to punch it in the face.

“You see… sometimes life gives you lemons. And when that happens… you need to find some spell that makes lemons explode, because lemons are terrible. I only ate them once and I can say with certainty they are the worst fruit. If life gave me lemons, I would view it as nothing short of a declaration of war."
[+] 2 users Like DemonicLemon's post
28-03-2014, 03:03 AM
I can only think of one use for a hypothetical god...to punish the priests.
[+] 2 users Like Mark Fulton's post
28-03-2014, 06:05 AM
(27-03-2014 08:35 AM)Vosur Wrote:  There is but one goddess; her name is Gwyneth Paltrow. Bowing

Somebody around here has some sense. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
28-03-2014, 06:18 AM
Only if its going to be my slave, so I don't have to cook, clean or sit in the damned car pool line anymore (jesus can take the wheel, lol). And it better be good at winning the Powerball too cuz there's lots of shit I want to do and it takes money.

Or maybe if it was like Jake the Dog from Adventure Time and could morph into an airplane so I can travel the world Consider

afterlife-- eh....might be cool to hit a heaven bar for one last time to hangout with those that I've already had to say goodbye too for awhile, but even then, there needs to be a last call.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
28-03-2014, 05:29 PM
It's quite bizarre that Christians are gullible enough to fall for the God concept.

"God" was invented by priests to control the public, yet it's a pathetically weak con.

"God" is a sky fairy that will punish you if you don't do what priests say, or reward you in an eternal theme park if you do.

The priest never has to provide the reward or dole out the punishment, yet "god" allows him to dictate people's behaviour and access their purse strings.

It's a concept that should only work in a kindergarten, yet thinking adults still fall for it.
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post
28-03-2014, 11:14 PM
(25-03-2014 09:28 PM)southernbelle Wrote:  This is one of those questions that I've often pondered late at night before I go to sleep: if you could choose whether or not there was a god and be 100% of his existence or nonexistence, would you choose for there to be a god? If you have a preference, what religion?

I think I would want there to be one. I don't know if that makes me weak, but it would be extremely comforting to know that no matter what you do, there's someone who is going to work things out for you. It's also very comforting to know that when you die, you don't really die. At the same time, there's so many implications of there being a god that I think there being one and me knowing would drive me insane. Every time I saw something bad happen would just make me hate life more and more. I think in the end, I would choose for there not to be, but it would be an extremely difficult decision.

No. I would not choose for there to be a God because it has done nothing for our Universe that physical laws can't accomplish without it.