Would You Want There to Be a God?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-03-2014, 12:44 AM
RE: Would You Want There to Be a God?
(25-03-2014 09:28 PM)southernbelle Wrote:  This is one of those questions that I've often pondered late at night before I go to sleep: if you could choose whether or not there was a god and be 100% of his existence or nonexistence, would you choose for there to be a god? If you have a preference, what religion?

I think I would want there to be one. I don't know if that makes me weak, but it would be extremely comforting to know that no matter what you do, there's someone who is going to work things out for you. It's also very comforting to know that when you die, you don't really die. At the same time, there's so many implications of there being a god that I think there being one and me knowing would drive me insane. Every time I saw something bad happen would just make me hate life more and more. I think in the end, I would choose for there not to be, but it would be an extremely difficult decision.
I also would like to allay my fear of obsolescence but then, I may not value life as I do or enjoy the benefits of fear and anxiety management.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes mknight's post
29-03-2014, 10:30 PM
(25-03-2014 09:28 PM)southernbelle Wrote:  This is one of those questions that I've often pondered late at night before I go to sleep: if you could choose whether or not there was a god and be 100% of his existence or nonexistence, would you choose for there to be a god? If you have a preference, what religion?

I think I would want there to be one. I don't know if that makes me weak, but it would be extremely comforting to know that no matter what you do, there's someone who is going to work things out for you. It's also very comforting to know that when you die, you don't really die. At the same time, there's so many implications of there being a god that I think there being one and me knowing would drive me insane. Every time I saw something bad happen would just make me hate life more and more. I think in the end, I would choose for there not to be, but it would be an extremely difficult decision.

You'd have to define what a "god" was.

The capricious, malicious, jealous, cruel and unusual sky-daddies of the current myths? FUCK, no.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
30-03-2014, 06:11 AM
(25-03-2014 09:28 PM)southernbelle Wrote:  It's also very comforting to know that when you die, you don't really die.

That's where I get hung up. I don't necessarily want there to be a deity ruling over me (even if it is with the best intentions or parent-like motivations). But, I do often wish that my consciousness would continue after death.

That said, when I feel that urge to reject death, I do honestly believe that it's my own biology talking. It's the millenia of instinct which has been bred into me, driving generation after generation to want to live on. So, I don't think of that urge as being fundamentally human or unique to our condition - after all, every species in the animal kingdom fights and rejects death at every opportunity.

But, I still wrestle with it.

"The truth must dazzle gradually / or every man be blind." Emily Dickinson