Would an atheist be more justified voting for an atheist politician....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-08-2014, 03:50 AM
Would an atheist be more justified voting for an atheist politician....
...than a thesit would be justified voting for a theist politician who shared the same theology?

Eg. Currently Christians often vote for Christian politicans largely because they believe in the same God. If an atheist voted for an openly atheist politician would they be more or less justified in doing so, and why?

Thanks Smile

** Jingo Planet **
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-08-2014, 04:01 AM
RE: Would an atheist be more justified voting for an atheist politician....
(24-08-2014 03:50 AM)barcelonic Wrote:  ...than a thesit would be justified voting for a theist politician who shared the same theology?

Eg. Currently Christians often vote for Christian politicans largely because they believe in the same God. If an atheist voted for an openly atheist politician would they be more or less justified in doing so, and why?

Thanks Smile

Of course not.

But you'd have to give an open atheist politician credit; they certainly aren't pandering to the credulous Christian base. But as this forum shows, atheism alone wouldn't be enough for someone to share enough agreement to garner a vote.

Luminon is an atheist, but he's also a Libertarian anarchist and a pseudo-science junkie; so I sure as hell wouldn't vote for him. Drinking Beverage

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
24-08-2014, 04:06 AM
If an atheist voted for someone simply because they were an atheist than they are an idiot.

Atheism is simple a lack of belief in a god. It has no political meaning and so that atheist politician could be far right or far left.
You'd hope that people vote for people because of what they stand for not because of what they personally believe. Except of course when their personal beliefs conflict with them being a politician and they start demanding everyone stop wearing blended fabrics and eating shrimp.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 4 users Like earmuffs's post
24-08-2014, 04:08 AM
(24-08-2014 04:06 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Except of course when their personal beliefs conflict with them being a politician and they start demanding everyone stop wearing blended fabrics and eating shrimp.

[Image: god-hates-shrimp.jpg]

http://www.godhatesshrimp.com/

Tongue

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
24-08-2014, 09:01 AM (This post was last modified: 24-08-2014 09:12 AM by Reltzik.)
I'm going to somewhat disagree with the majority-so-far.

When we vote, we should vote not only based on the candidate's espoused or anticipated policies, but with an awareness or anticipation of all the consequences of the candidate getting into/retaining office, or just getting yea more or fewer votes, even if that doesn't affect the outcome. Some examples in the context of a congressional race:

There might be a choice between a challenger that you really like, versus an incumbent that you're kinda-okay with and who holds an important committee seat that really helps your state or district. Voting the challenger in means that this committee seat is lost, and the advantages it brings to your neck of the woods, are lost. This might be a decent reason to vote based on pragmatics rather than ideology.

While you might agree with a particular candidate's ideology, they're part of a party who you oppose in a more general sense. You know on matters that aren't central to the candidate, they'll be lining up with the party, on everything from who to vote in for congressional leadership posts, to party-line votes on issues you strongly disagree with the party on, to deals that they will make to get the stuff you agree with the candidate on into law. This might be a reason to vote against the candidate, even if you like their agenda.

While you might agree with a particular candidate's ideology AND party affiliation, you don't think that the candidate is particularly capable. Maybe they've got a history of ineptitude when it comes to making the system work, or maybe they aren't a critical thinker and it shows. This might be a reason to vote against them.

Okay, now getting to the point.

Perhaps you find candidate C preferable to candidate A on most grounds of policy, affiliation, and capacity, and would tend to vote for C over A on that basis. However, C is a Christian and A is an atheist. Evaluating all the consequences of them getting into office, you realize that sending an atheist into office does carry some advantages. It gets an underrepresented group... YOUR group... the benefits of additional representation and recognition. It brings a perspective that the institution is sorely lacking. It helps undermine the feeling that no atheist could ever be elected, and at the very least your vote cancels out one of those bigotted "I'll only vote for Christians" voters. If we factor these new considerations in with the old arguments for C against A, we might come to the conclusion that they tip the scale. In that case, it would make sense to vote for the atheist over the Christian ON THAT BASIS, or at least with that being the deciding factor. Or maybe it wouldn't tip the scales, in which case, vote for C.

So yes, I think it should be a consideration, albeit not an automatically overriding one.

EDIT: Actually remembering to answer the original point... if a Christian votes for a Christian politician JUST because of shared religion, then there's no justification for that at all. They can't even play the "underrepresented minority" card. (Except somehow they DO. What's up with that?) Any justification an atheist can come up with will trump no-justification-at-all.
24-08-2014, 09:28 AM
No, atheist is not a loyalty oath or a political party. I have absolutely nothing economically in common as far as views say those of Ayn Rand, so no, if she were running for president if alive today, there is no way in the world I would vote for her.

Our wallets and the ability to pay our bills is the only thing humans have in common.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
24-08-2014, 09:34 AM
Primarily I'm going to vote for the man or woman who I think would best serve the publics interest versus big business. I lean towards democrats and independents. The highly religious turn me away in droves, no matter what party they belong to. I'd love to see some basic science base line knowledge for any government law maker as a requirement before being put on a ballot. Atheist politicians are still politicians. They may merit more points for critical thinking in one area but we all know that people can compartmentalize issues being rarional with one thing and irrational with another.

Politically its all a crap shoot

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
24-08-2014, 09:46 AM
If someone's an atheist, that means they most likely know what reality is, do not base their life off of a two thousand year old, extremely badly written book, and know that prayer doesn't do crud.

If someone's a theist, they don't, do, and don't.

I don't think it's unreasonable to vote for the first one. But I'm biased and not really into politics.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
24-08-2014, 10:05 AM
(24-08-2014 09:46 AM)CleverUsername Wrote:  If someone's an atheist, that means they most likely know what reality is, do not base their life off of a two thousand year old, extremely badly written book, and know that prayer doesn't do crud.

I don't think it's unreasonable to vote for the first one. But I'm biased and not really into politics.

Nope, sorry. "Atheist" only says one thing "off" on one claim. It does not address education level or political views or what class they are in.

I know of atheists who support the economic views of the Koch brothers, and I know other atheists who believe 9/11 and JFK conspiracy bulllshit.

All atheists have in common is "off" on the claim of a god.

Not even the word "atheist" will magically make a human good or bad because it is not a moral code, it is a position.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
24-08-2014, 10:12 AM
(24-08-2014 10:05 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(24-08-2014 09:46 AM)CleverUsername Wrote:  If someone's an atheist, that means they most likely know what reality is, do not base their life off of a two thousand year old, extremely badly written book, and know that prayer doesn't do crud.

Nope, sorry. "Atheist" only says one thing "off" on one claim. It does not address education level or political views or what class they are in.

I know of atheists who support the economic views of the Koch brothers, and I know other atheists who believe 9/11 and JFK conspiracy bulllshit.

All atheists have in common is "off" on the claim of a god.

Not even the word "atheist" will magically make a human good or bad because it is not a moral code, it is a position.

Well then, it's a good thing I never said anything about education level, political views, class, or how good of a person they are.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 2 users Like CleverUsername's post