Would an atheist be more justified voting for an atheist politician....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-08-2014, 10:15 AM
RE: Would an atheist be more justified voting for an atheist politician....
Quote:Well then, it's a good thing I never said anything about education level, political views, class, or how good of a person they are.

Yes you did,

Quote: If someone's an atheist, that means they most likely know what reality is

And I just gave you examples of atheists who do not have a grasp on reality. God claims are not the only claims people make. Being right about some things does not make you right about everything.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-08-2014, 10:54 AM
Secularism means keeping religion out of politics....

I'd rather politicians kept their beliefs to themselves.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
25-08-2014, 05:04 PM
(24-08-2014 03:50 AM)barcelonic Wrote:  ...than a thesit would be justified voting for a theist politician who shared the same theology?

Eg. Currently Christians often vote for Christian politicans largely because they believe in the same God. If an atheist voted for an openly atheist politician would they be more or less justified in doing so, and why?

Thanks Smile

I find this question to be patently stupid.
Other than a lack of belief towards the theistic claim that a god exists, there is a cornucopia of world views that an atheist might have. Many of them could be antithetical to my own. There are a lot of fucked up atheists.

Their lack of belief might give them brownie points but it really is their stand on various issues that is going to really matter to me.

Conversely I won't not vote for a theist for just their belief.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes RogueWarrior's post
25-08-2014, 05:21 PM
absolutely not. Voting for someone based on or having being influenced by their religious thoughts is a terrible way to get a president. That is how we ended up with Bush.

Vote for the man who is going to get the job done. Not who is going to pray or not pray along with you in order to make you "think" this country belongs to whatever sect of whatever religion or non religion your president happens to belong to.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
25-08-2014, 08:43 PM
(25-08-2014 05:04 PM)RogueWarrior Wrote:  I find this question to be patently stupid.

You think it's a stupid question?

Do you know what is a stupid question; "is there a superman in the sky who created us all and all the universe?" is a stupid question.

Can you imagine if that question had never been asked?

Would you please explain why you think the question I posted is stupid?

Thanks

** Jingo Planet **
25-08-2014, 11:39 PM
(25-08-2014 08:43 PM)barcelonic Wrote:  
(25-08-2014 05:04 PM)RogueWarrior Wrote:  I find this question to be patently stupid.

You think it's a stupid question?

Do you know what is a stupid question; "is there a superman in the sky who created us all and all the universe?" is a stupid question.

Can you imagine if that question had never been asked?

Would you please explain why you think the question I posted is stupid?

Thanks

I already did.
Atheists do not have a common world view like most religious people. The lack of a common worldview means that there is a much higher chance, that an atheist's worldview is not going to reflect mine.

Atheists only have ONE guaranteed commonality which is insufficient to automatically get my vote.
Theists have several orders of magnitude more guaranteed commonalities. They have the same dogma, rituals and beliefs within their religions. There is a far greater chance that people of the same religion will share a common world view.

Your question underscores a lack of understanding about atheism. Atheism literally is a simple response to a single claim made by theists. It, therefore, offers no further information about a person.

I want to vote for candidates with a similar worldview and atheism offers no information about one's worldview.
26-08-2014, 04:43 AM
Our political system and the religious grip our nation is in are the two biggest problems in the US. Simply voting for someone because they are atheist is essentially picking the lesser of two evils.
26-08-2014, 06:19 AM
If all else were equal, I would vote for the atheist.

The problem is that all else is never equal. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
26-08-2014, 08:21 AM
The problem here is most of the time when you add Atheist + Politics you get Ayn Rand disciple and fuck that is the worst thing you could ever put into office.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
26-08-2014, 09:45 AM
No, not at all. I don't think there is a single person on this forum I would vote for. And considering the amount of SJW bullshit going around the atheist community right now (Atheism+) I would take an extra close look at what an atheist candidate stands for before I vote for them.

That being said, many of my favorite politicians are atheists; Pauline Marois (seeing her loose like that made me very sad) and Geert Wilders are both atheists. Many of Israel's great leader have also been atheists; like Golda Meir.

Paleoliberal • English Nationalist • Zionist • Rightist • Anti-Islam • Neoconservative • Republican • Linguistic Revivalist and Purist

Happily Divorced from the Left!