Would an atheist be more justified voting for an atheist politician....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-08-2014, 09:48 AM
RE: Would an atheist be more justified voting for an atheist politician....
(26-08-2014 08:21 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  The problem here is most of the time when you add Atheist + Politics you get Ayn Rand disciple and fuck that is the worst thing you could ever put into office.

Bad, but far from the worst thing. I'd take an objectivist over the Golden Dawn anyday.

Paleoliberal • English Nationalist • Zionist • Rightist • Anti-Islam • Neoconservative • Republican • Linguistic Revivalist and Purist

Happily Divorced from the Left!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-08-2014, 08:26 PM
(25-08-2014 11:39 PM)RogueWarrior Wrote:  
(25-08-2014 08:43 PM)barcelonic Wrote:  You think it's a stupid question?

Do you know what is a stupid question; "is there a superman in the sky who created us all and all the universe?" is a stupid question.

Can you imagine if that question had never been asked?

Would you please explain why you think the question I posted is stupid?

Thanks

Your question underscores a lack of understanding about atheism. Atheism literally is a simple response to a single claim made by theists. It, therefore, offers no further information about a person.

RW the reason I asked you to clarify what you meant by your claim the question is stupid, was because you are implying my question came with some kind of assertion.

My question comes with no assertion. You may believe that one of the two possible answers demonstrates a "lack of understanding about atheism" but the question itself demonstrates no such thing.

That's why I asked for clarification on that and I'm glad to see you've just misunderstood the OP.

** Jingo Planet **
26-08-2014, 10:03 PM
(26-08-2014 08:26 PM)barcelonic Wrote:  
(25-08-2014 11:39 PM)RogueWarrior Wrote:  Your question underscores a lack of understanding about atheism. Atheism literally is a simple response to a single claim made by theists. It, therefore, offers no further information about a person.

RW the reason I asked you to clarify what you meant by your claim the question is stupid, was because you are implying my question came with some kind of assertion.

My question comes with no assertion. You may believe that one of the two possible answers demonstrates a "lack of understanding about atheism" but the question itself demonstrates no such thing.

That's why I asked for clarification on that and I'm glad to see you've just misunderstood the OP.

Whilst misunderstanding is possible, I just think you didn't quite think out your question.

It seems to me that you think that atheists share a common worldview and that allows you to ask your question the way you did. It is almost like atheism is just another religious 'ism'. At least that it what the question implies to me.

The vast majority of theists belong to a religion. Consequently the vast majority of theists have a world view dictated by their religious beliefs. Each religion, or each major denomination rather, tends to have a common world view which might lead someone to vote for a person from the same background. They can be fairly confident that such a person thinks the way they do.

The answer to your question is obviously no, if you understand atheism at all.
Why?
Already explained.
27-08-2014, 08:56 PM
(26-08-2014 10:03 PM)RogueWarrior Wrote:  
(26-08-2014 08:26 PM)barcelonic Wrote:  RW the reason I asked you to clarify what you meant by your claim the question is stupid, was because you are implying my question came with some kind of assertion.

Whilst misunderstanding is possible, I just think you didn't quite think out your question.

It seems to me that you think that atheists share a common worldview and that allows you to ask your question the way you did. It is almost like atheism is just another religious 'ism'. At least that it what the question implies to me.

The vast majority of theists belong to a religion. Consequently the vast majority of theists have a world view dictated by their religious beliefs. Each religion, or each major denomination rather, tends to have a common world view which might lead someone to vote for a person from the same background. They can be fairly confident that such a person thinks the way they do.

The answer to your question is obviously no, if you understand atheism at all.
Why?
Already explained.

Yes you're making far too many inferences. If you look again at my question you can see that its structure couldn't be more neutral.

I've asked you twice to illustrate how you've inferred any kind of assertion or position from the way I laid out the question and you've thus far failed to point this out. Continued assertions will do nothing; if you wish to leave me with the impression you're not being entirely presumptuous it should be easy enough for you to highlight/quote the part of my question that seems to you to indicate a position, or at least state your case.

Currently I find it amusing that you've been able to take a presumption from the perfectly neutral ('either/or') nature of the question.

But please do stop saying you've already stated your case when you've done nothing but make silly assertions.

Thanks

** Jingo Planet **